Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    Some progress! Let me know what you think!
    My first tought was "hmm... Hulk meets Resident Evil's Nemesis"... Joking aside, I think that a nice progress. I like reworked belly and legs (and overall muscle structure).

Personally I think hands could be even smaller, but at any size these will be compensated with a large guns anyways.
    - got sig? -

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I really like the direction you're taking !

/nitpicking mode on
      Where are the three toes ! D:
      /nitpicking mode off

Can we have a screenshot of the neck/head/trapeziums which is little more up ? I would like to see what you've done exactly on it.
      The hands don't seem out of proportion, but it's true that it might make something over the top in term of size when combined with a gun (especially one firing rockets). You might consider to scale them down a tiny little bit.

But overall it's an amazing job ! (Am I saying that too often to you ?)

Comment

This fan art from days gone by has always had some magic for me...

Great work on this stuff KazeoHin-TechAE, 'Kaz', if I may,...really great work.
        Last edited by Carbon; 02-02-2016, 09:23 AM.
        My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I don't like the more humanoid head to be honest. I liked how the Brutes and the anything Skaarj in general had their heads sunk into their shoulders. As if the shoulder muscles went sometimes all the way to the top of the head.

Also the chest should be a lot wider and bigger. At least for the Behemoths, not sure about simple Brutes.
          Check out my work!
          | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
          | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
            I don't like the more humanoid head to be honest. I liked how the Brutes and the anything Skaarj in general had their heads sunk into their shoulders. As if the shoulder muscles went sometimes all the way to the top of the head.

Also the chest should be a lot wider and bigger. At least for the Behemoths, not sure about simple Brutes.
            Brutes and Behemots had the same models :

(From left to right : Brutes, Behemoths, and lesser brutes)

The head was still humanoid, what makes it distinct is the tusks and the strong "neck" (or neck+trapeziums).

(I could not find a backview of the brute)

Here you can see that it slearly have separation beetwen the head and the shoulders. I like the head and the strong trapeziums, but I don't want a totally no neck and direct fusion beetwen the head and the shoulders. Or it will look like that :

Comment

The brutes, I would personally picture them more badass and less fatty. More along those lines:

Concept art by Cedrik Seaut

The nuance is that, enemies tend to be memorable and really awesome when even players would want to play as them.
              Last edited by 3Dmatic; 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by exo7341 View Post
                My first tought was "hmm... Hulk meets Resident Evil's Nemesis"... Joking aside, I think that a nice progress. I like reworked belly and legs (and overall muscle structure).

Personally I think hands could be even smaller, but at any size these will be compensated with a large guns anyways.
                Yeah, the hands are going to be hard to get right without the signature rocket pistols keeping them in perspective, I tried reducing the size of the hands as far as I could go without making them look disproportionate compared to the bulky arms.

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                I really like the direction you're taking !

/nitpicking mode on
                Where are the three toes ! D:
                /nitpicking mode off

Can we have a screenshot of the neck/head/trapeziums which is little more up ? I would like to see what you've done exactly on it.
                The hands don't seem out of proportion, but it's true that it might make something over the top in term of size when combined with a gun (especially one firing rockets). You might consider to scale them down a tiny little bit.
                Ah! for some reason I remember the Brute having two toes! I'll fix that up in the next update. As for the hands, remember that 99% of the time those hands will be clenched around a weapon, so its really up to the person designing the weapon to ensure the proportions look alright.

But overall it's an amazing job ! (Am I saying that too often to you ?)

Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                Great work on this stuff KazeoHin-TechAE, 'Kaz', if I may,...really great work.
                I'm happy with 'Kaz, Kazeo, Kazeohin or just 'Paul'. Really, I'm not too particular. Thank you, nonetheless!

Originally posted by InVader View Post

I'm also thinking the head is a BIT too humanoid. I'll see about making it a bit more in-line with the original Brute, as I want this piece to be a more faithful reflection of the original. As for the chest, I think overall the Brutes were wider than they were tall, which is a REALLY difficult thing to accomplish in art, mostly because I can't think of any two-legged creature that is wider at the shoulders than it is tall. I'll have to see how wide I can take it before it just looks ridiculous.

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                The brutes, I would personally picture them more badass and less fatty. More along those lines:

Concept art by Cedrik Seaut

The nuance is that, enemies tend to be memorable and really awesome when even players would want to play as them.
                I agree 100% that the truly iconic enemies are the ones that the player wants to be, but not ALL enemies can fill that role. Mostly, that role is filled with the 'signature' enemy of a game, Like Halo's Shangheli Elites or Doom's Demonic Hellknights. In truth, the Skarj kind-of fill that role with Unreal, and the Brutes are just big, dumb... brutes! they aren't supposed to be 'wicked sick', as much as they are supposed to be big, slow bullet sponges. Or at least that's how I see it.

Since the brute is a semi-intelligent creature, we can have different variations, including one that might hit the gym a bit more than his counterparts. But that variation won't be the baseline.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I'll post more progress Soon™!

Comment

About the head, I was wondering, do you think that the tusks might eventually be closer to those of the skaarj than those of a boar ? so more straight forward than up ? They were engineered by the Skaarj after all, so they might have mixed some of their DNA which then would be a little apparent (Glowy eyes, tusks, maybe scales ?).

Comment

(I could not find a backview of the brute)

Here you can see that it slearly have separation beetwen the head and the shoulders. I like the head and the strong trapeziums, but I don't want a totally no neck and direct fusion beetwen the head and the shoulders. Or it will look like that :
                    I'm sorry but it looks like he literally doesn't have a neck. His shoulder muscles are attached to his skull, somewhere above the temporal bone. This is the very thing that made the Brutes and the Skaarj look unique and not too humanoid.

Even the muscles in front of the trapezoid are attached to the side of the head/jaws and create a clear line outer line. On humans these muscles would be the neck muscles, but on the Brute they are not attached to the lower side of the head, but the top of the skull instead. They go around the jaws.

Then there are the 2 frontal muscles below the jaws, which are attached near the tusks. Now this is the one spot where his actual neck might be showing. There's triangle shaped darker skin in the middle, which suggests shadowing and some sort of gap or something. It may very well be, that this is just a spot on which the devs didn't want to spend any polygon.
                    Last edited by InVader; 02-02-2016, 05:52 PM.
                    Check out my work!
                    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                    | Localization

Comment

Sooo ...you suggest to make his head just a huge pimple growing from his neck?
                      I think we can do better than that.

Yes KazeoHin's version has a much to human face, but the direction with its separated neck skull transition is for me more appealing.

Edit-----------------
                      @KazeoHin now I see it ...your face of the Brute is to slim ...try to make it broader. At least 5-10%.

Oh and for me are the Brutes just walking automatic cannons ...killing everything what isn't their master or master's pet.
                      Last edited by papercoffee; 02-02-2016, 07:19 PM.
                      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Soon™!
                        XD

Anyway, I have Unreal 1 installed on my PC. I can send you reference photos if you want.
                        The new UT is coming along nicely...
                        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

I love this concept.

Comment

Hey! I managed to get some more time unexpectedly!

Comment

Thi is looking real good !

The only thing I am questioning is the nose, it is a bit... awful. But I should admit that I have a hard time figuring what kind of nose they things hould have. I think the nostrils should be wider/larger,

Comment

Thi is looking real good !

The only thing I am questioning is the nose, it is a bit... awful. But I should admit that I have a hard time figuring what kind of nose they things hould have. I think the nostrils should be wider/larger,
                                Haha! I have not really put a lot of time into the nose. I was thinking of a gorilla like nose, but it's difficult to put a wide, pronounced nose with a pair of really low-set eyes and a big mouth.

The face is definately a part that is easy to overlook when using 1997 source material. I'm pretty sure the original Brute model used about 10 verts for the head and maybe 10x10 texels for those verts. So we can really use our imagination in filling in the gaps!

Comment

Working...
                                X