Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    Where does this idea come from?
    Plausible ≠ Realistic.
    Originally posted by Envarion View Post
    Pseudo-realism counts too ...
    ... provided the pseudo-realism is not too far-fetched, which I can admit my idea for gliding gasbags kind of is. Dramatic anatomy changes would be necessary likely leaving little resemblance to the original enemy.

    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    But let us stay for a moment in the "real" world where an alien animal race from a planet light-years away from earth try to glide through air.
    It would need at least a wingspan of one of the biggest Pterosaurs to glide, due to its body-mass (look for Azhdarchidae) ...this creatures wouldn't be able to attack from air and would have to land to attack. (easy prey)
    Ariel attacks: swoop down and rake faces with claws, spit fire
    Landing to attack is just an option.

    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    Long gliding is impossible... and gliding in narrow canyon would be suicide.
    With my paintover of specter-owl's design... this is undeniably true. They would also be quite cumbersome in narrow canyons unless they were to stick to crawl along the walls. Just code them to not fly in confined spaces. If they bump into a wall, they just grab on and hang from it.

    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    Nothing of this resembles a Gasbag for me ...it would be totally new creature.
    I think I now understand and believe it would be a better concept for something new.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Envarion View Post
      I think I now understand and believe it would be a better concept for something new.
      That's the spirit!

      I'm totally open for new designs of fresh new monsters.
      Or maybe a comeback of unreleased one.

      The Unreal Dragon is totally underused. We could rework this beauty and get a really tough and newer monster into UT4.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQz7ytMdi4

      Or the INIsDragons
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiAgyB_1dZ8
      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

      Comment


        I think they weren't used that much because of the unoriginality they possess in a game like Unreal. People expect to see weird alien-ish monsters with weird biology or technology, the dragons uses features which are more grounded on our world (and mythology) and his more commonly associated with anything with a fantasy medieval universe (even if it's kind of futuristic). Unreal does not possess that feeling, so dragons are rather unfitting.

        Now anything is possible, but dragons aren't one of the thing I would especially like to see in Unreal.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
          Now anything is possible, but dragons aren't one of the thing I would especially like to see in Unreal.
          Then don't call them dragons ...call them winged lizard like death from above.
          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

          Comment


            Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
            That is awesome! I really like that concept! It retains pretty much ALL of the features from the original, but makes it realistic and believable, as well as ups the detail for modern fidelity. I would REALLY like to see a coloured version. Also, Welcome to the thread!
            Thank you! I'm gonna work on this greyscale concept a little bit more. I think some small details and textures may be a good thing to add. The colored version will surely be

            Originally posted by Envarion View Post
            Hi Specter-Owl! Thanks for sharing! Images like this are super useful to us conceptors! As always I'm an advocate for keeping things as true to the original as reasonably possible. I think the biggest issue with the gasbag right now is deciding what its flight mechanism should be since it is largely unexplainable.
            You are welcome!
            I personally really like when non-existent things look realistic. However, I will agree with Darkloser, that "Unreal" is a science fiction game and some things should remain a mystery. For example, there were Nali-guys, who could levitate, teleport and move objects without touching them. We mostly can't explain that, there's just no such technology on Earth yet. And things like that were a sweet addition to an atmosphere of strange "alien" world.

            Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
            About the GasNobodyAgreeUponIt :
            First, welcome Specter-owl ! (Spooky )
            Your art is absolutely amazing ! You really did a great job on the original Gasbag ! For the nostalgic ones, it will be indubitably the best concept ! I would like to know however, what are these things on his back ? Is it were it stock the gaz to float around and fire ? (Like some kind of special lungs ?) Cause it remember me what the wheezer in Dead Space had : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVD30P0dtTc
            Thank you! Yeah, exactly. If you look at Gasbag's animations, this thing is inflated when Gasbag flies or breathes fire.

            I guess, in general it's similar to an abdomen of spiders or mosquitoes.

            Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
            Woah, I love the Gasbag concept. I also agree with the combination of reptilian and arachnid features, Specter-Owl!
            Thank you!

            I'm really glad, that you liked my concept, guys! I will keep working on it.
            However, this week (and probably next) is going to be busy for me, so I don't know how fast my progress will be.

            Also, today I sketched a Fly's head. The second drawing seems to be a right way to go. What do you think?

            Attached Files

            Comment


              Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
              Thank you! Yeah, exactly. If you look at Gasbag's animations, this thing is inflated when Gasbag flies or breathes fire.

              I guess, in general it's similar to an abdomen of spiders or mosquitoes.
              Wow, I totally forgot about that... I think I haven't even noticed it (it's harder when you're constantly facing them). So yeah your Gasbag is really true to the original ! That's really impressive !

              Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
              I'm really glad, that you liked my concept, guys! I will keep working on it.
              However, this week (and probably next) is going to be busy for me, so I don't know how fast my progress will be.

              Also, today I sketched a Fly's head. The second drawing seems to be a right way to go. What do you think?

              I'm not a specialist in fly's anatomy (or in anatomy at all), but the 1st seems rather crustacean than insect like no ? The 3rd have rather a weird look, it's like it is constantly angry or ****** off. The second drawing seems the best for the eyes, but still got a little of that "angry" look. Maybe you should remove the chitin on the top of the eyes, I think it's what gives it that look.
              For the mandibles however, I think the 3rd possess the best one. It's closer to what a fly has, while keeping that predatory feeling (cause I don't think ou drawed them to be nice ). The mandibles of the second are too bulky in my opinion, it's more scarab like than fly like.

              Now I don't know if you tried to create an other kind of weird a** monster or what, so I might give you the total opposite of what you're looking for.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                I'm not a specialist in fly's anatomy (or in anatomy at all), but the 1st seems rather crustacean than insect like no ? The 3rd have rather a weird look, it's like it is constantly angry or ****** off. The second drawing seems the best for the eyes, but still got a little of that "angry" look. Maybe you should remove the chitin on the top of the eyes, I think it's what gives it that look.
                For the mandibles however, I think the 3rd possess the best one. It's closer to what a fly has, while keeping that predatory feeling (cause I don't think ou drawed them to be nice ). The mandibles of the second are too bulky in my opinion, it's more scarab like than fly like.

                Now I don't know if you tried to create an other kind of weird a** monster or what, so I might give you the total opposite of what you're looking for.
                You won't believe how weird insects can look like https://www.google.de/search?q=insec...Suche&tbm=isch

                @ Specter-Owl
                The right has too much of a mantis and marabunta mix.
                ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

                Comment


                  Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                  You won't believe how weird insects can look like https://www.google.de/search?q=insec...Suche&tbm=isch
                  I know they're already weird, I mean compared to our already weird things his drawings are even weirder. So they are like weird weirdy things... something like that... :s

                  What I pointed is that it seemed like they were expressing emotions, with eyelids or somewhat similar to human, when they shouldn't.

                  Comment


                    Mercenary - Concept 2

                    Hello guys and gals and robots!

                    I spent a lot of time drawing this second concept for the Mercenary. Now, it's 3:50 AM in Italy... and I'm working from 4:00 PM of yesterday!
                    Your latest feedback has been fundamental. I designed a sharp full-body armor (I hope it is NOT too Organic), improving mostly the mask, which looks viler in my opinion. I also improved the facial anatomy (goodbye Mullok!!!), but I'm not totally satisfied. An important thing of this alien creature is that they have a sort of hump, or a hyperkyphosis, but you may not notice it well in the full-body concept. Then you can see a draft of the backpack, with its features, and a really basic draft of the weapon which the Mercenary uses. About Hi-Tech stuff, you can see two wires on the creature: one of them links the left arm with the gun, the other one links the torso with the throat of the Mercenary (vocoder or gas?). I was thinking to draw ammo containers on the right leg, but the pose would have made them unviewable.



                    So, what do you think? What may I improve? Is the armor overdetailed?
                    Attached Files

                    -Luigi Rapetta
                    (rapfamily4)

                    My projects list:
                    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

                    Comment


                      You're going in the right direction !

                      Here are the few things that come to my mind :
                      -Cover the hands and the feet. They're covered in armor and mechanical parts on their entire body. I can't tell why, but you can be almost certain that it's part of their culture to almost be entirely robotic (at least from the outside, no one knows what's inside until you blast it to bits !). As far as we're aware, they may have ended like General Grievous, with 90% robotics and only 10% of organic.
                      -Same for the eyes, put something on the helmet so we don't see them.
                      -Pronouce the hump, it's hardly noticeable because you only started at the beginning of the neck, where they were humped at the start of their back, just before the pelvis.
                      -The head is still too cartoony in my opinion, especially with that "grin". I think the cranium is still too short, but the mouth and jaw is to long/wide. Maybe try to use a shape like this one :
                      http://www.ocostumes.com/htc/15ru4472.jpg
                      (Just the shape, not all the details).
                      -I'll change the gasmask. Remove the two things on the side and put something with this pattern/shape instead in the middle :
                      http://cdn.psfk.com/wp-content/uploa...k-concept2.jpg
                      https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1KSjQz8gwL.jpg

                      -Finally, this is an extremely personnal opinion, I would try an armor that is less... futuristic and without imperfection ? Put something a little more rough in the design.

                      All my points are based on the comparison beetwen your drawing and the Mercenary model in unreal :
                      http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/...rcenaries.jpeg

                      I think I won't comment on the backpack and weapon for now, as I want to focus first on the Mercenary himself, and then work on all his devices. Simply because these devices will probably be modular to give a larger pool of enemies, so you can imagine a lot of different ideas and features, where the base design for the Mercenary will stay the same (mostly).

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
                        Hello everyone! Can I join your party?
                        I have a very little experience with 3D-software, so sadly I can't help with modeling. But I have some ideas and I want to share them with you.

                        So, I tried to visualize Gasbag and here is the result:


                        I always had a feeling that Gasbag is a natural hybrid of arachnid and reptile. That was my main idea. I tried to keep eyes and basic proportions of the original, but also add some more lizard-like elements and make the whole look more modern. I noticed that original Gasbag have some sort of armor. I thought that a mixture of light soft skin and dark thick skin (maybe like the skin of Indian rhino) can be an interesting solution for this. Plus this adds some contrast. I assume, areas like elbows should be well stretchable, otherwise they will deform badly. So I was thinking about connecting some of these thick skinned parts with each other using membranes (white stuff on elbows, I didn't show it too well).

                        About fireballs. Well, there are several chemical reactions, which provide intense fire and lots of gas. Like this one:


                        That made me think that Gasbags might eat specific ores or minerals (as well as normal food) to be able to produce fire. That kind of explains their common appearance in caves.

                        I guess that is all for now. Of course this little concept can and should be improved. I would like to hear your opinion, guys!
                        This is basically the original design done right. If we end up with this, I'm absolutely okay with it, although I think we should try further to improve it.

                        I was thinking about an augmented Gasbag. Kinda like Cyberdemon from Doom's techno-hell. Arm augmentations, maybe some boosters on the bottom side of the gasbag. A mouth made out of metal, with all kinds of integrated circuits inside and immense heat coming out of it (maybe even lava dripping from his mouth).

                        Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                        Hello guys and gals and robots!

                        I spent a lot of time drawing this second concept for the Mercenary. Now, it's 3:50 AM in Italy... and I'm working from 4:00 PM of yesterday!
                        Your latest feedback has been fundamental. I designed a sharp full-body armor (I hope it is NOT too Organic), improving mostly the mask, which looks viler in my opinion. I also improved the facial anatomy (goodbye Mullok!!!), but I'm not totally satisfied. An important thing of this alien creature is that they have a sort of hump, or a hyperkyphosis, but you may not notice it well in the full-body concept. Then you can see a draft of the backpack, with its features, and a really basic draft of the weapon which the Mercenary uses. About Hi-Tech stuff, you can see two wires on the creature: one of them links the left arm with the gun, the other one links the torso with the throat of the Mercenary (vocoder or gas?). I was thinking to draw ammo containers on the right leg, but the pose would have made them unviewable.



                        So, what do you think? What may I improve? Is the armor overdetailed?
                        You NAILED the armor (assuming the bits in-between the plate is some protective suit, not skin)!

                        I think the parts that still need work are the mask (I'm not particularly a fan of the commando style gas masks) and the weapon.

                        I'd make that mask more sleek and compact without huge filters sticking out of it. Maybe a regular full helmet. Or something like the Infiltrator mask (I think that's almost perfect). Here are some other helmets for inspiration.


                        Just gotta play around with the proportions a bit to fit the Mercenary's head.

                        As for the weapon, I'd make it MUCH bigger. I like how you attached it to his arm. I'd extend those robotic parts all the way to the shoulder. Make his entire arm a giant, transformable weapon.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by InVader; 02-10-2016, 08:55 AM.
                        Check out my work!
                        | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                        | Localization

                        Comment


                          Kazeo can you make your titan behave?! He keeps eating my mantas!




                          So low poly version has been made, no texture yet.
                          Amount of faces on the model are 4031 in total.
                          Attached Files
                          -Fn>Metalfist
                          ---------------------
                          Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

                          Comment


                            What... How ?

                            Okay the Titan can eventually be carnivorous (I always thought it was eating mineral tho)... But how the hell can he capture a manta ?! WHAT IS THIS SPACE MAGIC ?!

                            About eating... how your Manta is supposed to sustain themselves ? I see no mouth or any features that can indicate their feeding habit.

                            (And -1 because no sweet butt like Kazeo did !)

                            Aside from that it looks great !

                            Comment


                              It's hard to see due to the lighting/texture and the fact that most of the mantas are flying down, but they actually do have mouths .

                              So... next step modeling sweet butts on the mantas!
                              -Fn>Metalfist
                              ---------------------
                              Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

                              Comment


                                Ho okay, should have missed it then. My bad.

                                And I'm waiting dem flying butts !

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X