Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
    You're going in the right direction !

Here are the few things that come to my mind :
    -Cover the hands and the feet. They're covered in armor and mechanical parts on their entire body. I can't tell why, but you can be almost certain that it's part of their culture to almost be entirely robotic (at least from the outside, no one knows what's inside until you blast it to bits !). As far as we're aware, they may have ended like General Grievous, with 90% robotics and only 10% of organic.
    -Same for the eyes, put something on the helmet so we don't see them.
    -Pronouce the hump, it's hardly noticeable because you only started at the beginning of the neck, where they were humped at the start of their back, just before the pelvis.
    -The head is still too cartoony in my opinion, especially with that "grin". I think the cranium is still too short, but the mouth and jaw is to long/wide. Maybe try to use a shape like this one :
    http://www.ocostumes.com/htc/15ru4472.jpg
    (Just the shape, not all the details).
    -I'll change the gasmask. Remove the two things on the side and put something with this pattern/shape instead in the middle :
    http://cdn.psfk.com/wp-content/uploa...k-concept2.jpg
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1KSjQz8gwL.jpg

-Finally, this is an extremely personnal opinion, I would try an armor that is less... futuristic and without imperfection ? Put something a little more rough in the design.

All my points are based on the comparison beetwen your drawing and the Mercenary model in unreal :
    http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/...rcenaries.jpeg

I think I won't comment on the backpack and weapon for now, as I want to focus first on the Mercenary himself, and then work on all his devices. Simply because these devices will probably be modular to give a larger pool of enemies, so you can imagine a lot of different ideas and features, where the base design for the Mercenary will stay the same (mostly).
    Originally posted by InVader View Post
    You NAILED the armor (assuming the bits in-between the plate is some protective suit, not skin)!

I think the parts that still need work are the mask (I'm not particularly a fan of the commando style gas masks) and the weapon.

I'd make that mask more sleek and compact without huge filters sticking out of it. Maybe a regular full helmet. Or something like the Infiltrator mask (I think that's almost perfect). Here are some other helmets for inspiration.

Just gotta play around with the proportions a bit to fit the Mercenary's head.

As for the weapon, I'd make it MUCH bigger. I like how you attached it to his arm. I'd extend those robotic parts all the way to the shoulder. Make his entire arm a giant, transformable weapon.
    Thanks guys!
    I appreciate your feedback, and I'll try to improve the further concepts with your suggestions.
    About the eyes, I actually don't want to cover them, since I want to transmit a sense of fear or discomfort with evil, small, white eyes and the 'vile' shape of the mask. (try to take a look at the Doom2's Icon of Sin). I could design mask variants with eyes covered, avoiding any references to Sligs from Oddworld, though. Anyway, I agree with the removal of the lateral filters.

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Inthis case, maybe you can do a compromise. Cover the eyes, but make the... iris ? apparent. Like two kind of spot behind a screen.
      Something like that :

But instead of red robotic eyes, you put alien eyes (since we don't know how they really look, you can try a bunch of different things). You can also try different visors (I would like to see one that looks like globulous alien eyes : http://stuffpoint.com/aliens/image/4...alien-eyes.jpg )

Comment

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
        So... next step modeling sweet butts on the mantas!
        (o___O)´-

Great! Now we get flying butts... that's all your fault Darkloser!!!
        ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Absolutely ! And I take pride in that !
          Soon, the Gasbag will know the same fate. And it will probably the master of all monsters ! Because butt+gas !
          FEAR THE GIANT FARTING MONSTER !

(This entire thread corrupted my mind !)

Comment

So low poly version has been made, no texture yet.
            Amount of faces on the model are 4031 in total.
            Nice! Looking awesome, dude! Welcome to the 'In Game' club! If you want, post a more comprehensive look/screen of the manta and I'll link it on the OP.

Kazeo can you make your titan behave?! He keeps eating my mantas!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

GODMANIT, FLUFFY! We talked about this!

Comment

I do love how the progression of the Titan has been the 1998 Unreal model, to a re-imagined model, to TSUNDERE!

It's the logical progression of course!

Also, hi there!
              Attached Files

Comment

Close up screenshot!
                Normal map + Ambient occlusion + transparency
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Metalfist; 02-12-2016, 06:07 PM.
                -Fn>Metalfist
                ---------------------
                Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Kazeo can you make your titan behave?! He keeps eating my mantas!

So low poly version has been made, no texture yet.
                  Amount of faces on the model are 4031 in total.
                  That is hilarious! This thread cleanses the soul after reading the General discussion threads.
                  Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

It looks a bit flat. An issue with the normal map maybe?
                    The new UT is coming along nicely...
                    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                      GODMANIT, FLUFFY! We talked about this!
                      lol, imagine the player characters shouting "IT'S FLUFFY!" when they encounter a Titan.
                      Check out my work!
                      | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                      | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
                        lol, imagine the player characters shouting "IT'S FLUFFY!" when they encounter a Titan.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Envarion; 02-13-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by InspecktahDeck
                          These are incredible dude, I've got some minor nitpicks with the Mercenary design since it doesn't resemble the original as much as the others, but overall these all look MUCH more Unreal than most concepts I've seen for the game. They're different but still clear as to what they're supposed to be and they don't feel as bland as most enemy designs in modern games.

I'm gonna spread this link around for fans to see.
                          I appreciate the fact you like this thread!

About the Mercenary: it's a work in progress design, so there will be a lot of changes.

-Luigi Rapetta
                          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Some awesome critters in this thread!
                            Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                            Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                            Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                              Some awesome critters in this thread!
                              Are you talking about the people posting here ?

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing these guys

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X