Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Later, hopefully!
    The new UT is coming along nicely...
    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

    Comment


      The Skaarj Queen will be hell of a difficult one to recreate...

      There's so much things to think and that might need some rework in her.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
        The Skaarj Queen will be hell of a difficult one to recreate...

        There's so much things to think and that might need some rework in her.
        Yeah I think the skaarj queen is in need of SOME kind of re-design. Lets be honest, that thing is hideous, and not really in a good way. It was a fun battle in Unreal 1 because of her powers and the cool level, but that character model is... well... I dont think she's very high on the "fond memories" list.
        ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
        Frag video featuring Rookie
        Frag video featuring Phantaci
        Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

        Comment


          Originally posted by e1vp View Post
          I'm looking forward to seeing these guys

          The problem I have is that I would REALLY like to start going on these guys, BUT I feel that we need more 'pawns' and not more 'queens'. Essentially, Boss creatures will only occupy 1/20th of the players time with invasion, whereas the 'pleb' creatures will occupy that other 95%. So flunkies like the brutes, Krall, Mantas, Slith, Skarj... We need as many of those as possible.

          I made the Titan because 1: Its the Mother%&#@ing TITAN and 2: we now have at least ONE boss to test out the boss mechanic and at least strike 'bosses' off the 'to do' list.

          Thats why I, personally, won't be working on these guys any time soon. But if others want to take them on, go for it!

          Comment


            Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
            I made the Titan because 1: Its the Mother%&#@ing TITAN and 2: we now have at least ONE boss to test out the boss mechanic and at least strike 'bosses' off the 'to do' list.
            I can add a third reason: Titans feature prominently in Unreal. There are at least 8 Titans (including Stone Titans) in Unreal as far as I remember, as opposed to just 1 Skaarj Queen. And more than once there were several Titans in the same map, sometimes IN THE SAME AREA. As the game progresses the Titan becomes less of a boss and more of a very top-tier regular monster (though both of the Stone Titans are more like bosses in how they're used, which makes sense seeing as they're considerably more powerful than the normal Titan. But even it appears more than once in the game).
            The new UT is coming along nicely...
            Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

            Comment


              Why is it so hideous?
              The new UT is coming along nicely...
              Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

              Comment


                Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                Why is it so hideous?
                ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                  The problem I have is that I would REALLY like to start going on these guys, BUT I feel that we need more 'pawns' and not more 'queens'. Essentially, Boss creatures will only occupy 1/20th of the players time with invasion, whereas the 'pleb' creatures will occupy that other 95%. So flunkies like the brutes, Krall, Mantas, Slith, Skarj... We need as many of those as possible.

                  I made the Titan because 1: Its the Mother%&#@ing TITAN and 2: we now have at least ONE boss to test out the boss mechanic and at least strike 'bosses' off the 'to do' list.

                  Thats why I, personally, won't be working on these guys any time soon. But if others want to take them on, go for it!
                  I agree with this a lot. Also, I see animation as a big blocker for enemies of every size here.

                  Last year I posted a picture of some monsters I helped make for UT2004:

                  This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

                  While this might not be as iconic as the Unreal 1 creatures, having a couple of varieties of basic enemies that don't require (almost any) animation strikes me as a good thing.
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

                  Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

                  Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Wail View Post
                    I agree with this a lot. Also, I see animation as a big blocker for enemies of every size here.

                    Last year I posted a picture of some monsters I helped make for UT2004:

                    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

                    While this might not be as iconic as the Unreal 1 creatures, having a couple of varieties of basic enemies that don't require (almost any) animation strikes me as a good thing.
                    I think that those are an awesome idea, they are not featured in any Unreal game so far, BUT these are perfect to bulk up waves of enemies, and they look to be Extremely customizable.

                    Comment


                      BigFatErik said he didn't like the Skaarj Queen's original design, but I didn't really understand why from his post, so I asked him.
                      The new UT is coming along nicely...
                      Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                        BigFatErik said he didn't like the Skaarj Queen's original design, but I didn't really understand why from his post, so I asked him.
                        Please use the Quote feature, as I am now, to help provide context to what you say. Its an awesome tool for ensuring the right people know what questions to answer, and what Ideas you are discussing.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Wail View Post
                          I agree with this a lot. Also, I see animation as a big blocker for enemies of every size here.

                          Last year I posted a picture of some monsters I helped make for UT2004:

                          This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

                          While this might not be as iconic as the Unreal 1 creatures, having a couple of varieties of basic enemies that don't require (almost any) animation strikes me as a good thing.
                          If we would recreate the robot uprising, those would be perfect cannon fodders.
                          Check out my work!
                          | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                          | Localization

                          Comment


                            Interesting posts! I agree with Kazeo regarding the bosses and I also like the idea to add robotic monsters.
                            About the Mercenary concept, I'll try to show you updates as soon as possible: I was quite busy this week. The same for the Bio Rifle design.

                            -Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

                            My projects list:
                            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                              I know they're already weird, I mean compared to our already weird things his drawings are even weirder. So they are like weird weirdy things... something like that... :s

                              What I pointed is that it seemed like they were expressing emotions, with eyelids or somewhat similar to human, when they shouldn't.
                              Haha! Yeah, that post was confusing.
                              The main reason why I did those sketches is that Fly doesn’t have as detailed texture as, for example, Gasbag. There is much more freedom for it’s design. I tried to make different versions using different shapes and find what is working, what is not. The second seemed to be good, but there was something wrong with it too.
                              I think you right about chitin. It looks kinda cartoonish now.

                              Also – her drawings


                              Speaking about Gasbag. I experimented with my concept and made some variations. I took Sly’s idea of exploding glowing blob for the fourth drawing. The last one turned out as an armored magma-boss thingy.

                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Specter-Owl; 02-21-2016, 11:46 AM.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
                                Haha! Yeah, that post was confusing.
                                The main reason why I did those sketches is that Fly doesn’t have as detailed texture as, for example, Gasbag. There is much more freedom for it’s design. I tried to make different versions using different shapes and find what is working, what is not. The second seemed to be good, but there was something wrong with it too.
                                I think you right about chitin. It looks kinda cartoonish now.
                                Don't mind too much if I suddenly gibber things that doesn't even make sense... sanity isn't one of my best quality.
                                Also I'm kind of confused as well... are you talking about the Unreal dragonfly ? Cause in my mind I just thought it was a random mutant fly.
                                Shame on me...

                                Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
                                Also – her drawings

                                ALEEEEEERT !


                                Ok I'll admit it, that was totally unecessary and dumb...
                                I'll try to redeem myself by giving a good feedback... hopefully...

                                Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
                                Speaking about Gasbag. I experimented with my concept and made some variations. I took Sly’s idea of exploding glowing blob for the fourth drawing. The last one turned out as an armored magma-boss thingy.

                                They're really really cool ! BUT...
                                I don't see any of them fitting in a biological sense.
                                -1 and 2, I don't really see what purpose the spike would have on a floating thing like the gasbag. Especially knowing it rather stay at a ranged distance. You might say it gives more of that "scary looking", but I don't think it fits that well with the gasbag and that you can use other factors to give that effect.
                                -3, I can't tell I'm 100% sure of this, but the gasbag isn't that much affiliated to rock or earth (or any thing telluric), unlike the Titans for exemple. And I even wonder if it will not be a little troublesome for his flight. He needs hard skin, but not too much as it will hinder is ability to go at high altitude.
                                -4, Hoooo, pretty... but not really helpfull for him. It might even be the contrary, looking like fragile spot that you will immediatly shoot to hinder him (kinda like in Dead space where you shoot the glowy parts on certain enemies). Where you placed them looks like where he should have protection.
                                -5, a little over the top (thought you said it was an eventual boss concept), and too much magma related I think ? Looks more like an elemental creature from a fantasy game than the evolution path that a floating alien full of gas will follow.

                                You mentioned in a previous post that the skin could be akin to that of a rhino. I think you should follow this idea, Placing part with hard natural plating where there isn't any joints or mobile skins (the biceps, forearms, and part of the hands, as well as the head...body...thing) and find something more flexible, maybe something more leathery like, for parts like elbows. That's pretty much what you done in your concept.
                                Maybe make these softer part glowing. The glowing backgas is a good way to show that it's actually using a substance to float and move, and his use in multiple part of his bodies to help him, so try placing the glow on the soft part of the elbows.

                                About a boss gasbag. There was a Giant gasbag acting as a mini-boss in unreal, so expanding with that concept could be interesting. Should have to think about how this subspecie of the gasbag was created, how it evolved.

                                Hope it helped you ! And I say it again your concept are amazing ! Continue this way !
                                Last edited by Darkloser; 02-21-2016, 01:37 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X