Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cafe
    Dank lookin gasbags. Definitely think the glowing ember skin is cool and would translate pretty well in engine. Need someone to 3d model this thing. All I can really think of is that you might want to do a view from behind, might help the eventual modeler complete that part.
    And don't forget a side view...
    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
      Haha! Yeah, that post was confusing.
      The main reason why I did those sketches is that Fly doesn’t have as detailed texture as, for example, Gasbag. There is much more freedom for it’s design. I tried to make different versions using different shapes and find what is working, what is not. The second seemed to be good, but there was something wrong with it too.
      I think you right about chitin. It looks kinda cartoonish now.

Also – her drawings

Speaking about Gasbag. I experimented with my concept and made some variations. I took Sly’s idea of exploding glowing blob for the fourth drawing. The last one turned out as an armored magma-boss thingy.

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME concepts! I love the different elements and every concept has tons of merit. Interestingly enough, I am really drawn to the odd numbered concepts, 1, 3 and 5. IF I were to model this guy, I would combine the best aspects of those three. I love the idea of the thick hairs along the creatures exterior (I could imagine that would ward off birds from roosting on it whilst resting), as well as the rocky, stony surface texture. Combine that with the monster glowing from the inside when its about to spit out a projectile... it would look awesome!

High five, awesome work!

Comment

#5 looks awesome Specter-Owl! Very intimidating! You could do all kinds of fun stuff with the glowy colors. Granted there's not much realistic in terms of biology as pointed out by Darkloser, but I think #5 looks badass. Who cares if it looks too fantasy-esque and if the arms have no real reason to be glowing? They're pretty **** cool! And they'll get used realistic or not... maps are gonna be made based on the enemies available whether consistent with the unreal universe or not. Elemental gasbags ftw! (They'd be a cool option at least.)

Imagine pitch dark caves lit up by the light these guys cast.

And if mappers ever wanted to, there should be a way to tone down the glowy bits if you wanna go for something more realistic, camouflage-y or natural or overall looking not so filled-with-magma. The glowy bits offer easy (albeit basic) options for variety.

#5 is my fav mostly because of the badass plated-looking surfaces contrasting the glowy bits, and #1 is next best imo
        Attached Files

Comment

I like #3 + a glow effect when he shoots. Like the gasbag first heats up the gas really quick so the gas becomes plasma that he can shoot.
          (As a reference: (the hobbit) Smaug's chest lights up before he spits fire: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140701043340)
          The rock skin could be explained as a camouflage: it pretends it is a rock, but when a prey comes close it strikes.
          -Fn>Metalfist
          ---------------------
          Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Now I know what this game will become :

UNREAL TOURNAMENT : Night Fever

I'm not asking for them to be "realistic", not in the strict sense, but to be coherent. And I care if it's too fantasy-esque !
            I'm a fan of Unreal universe because it's unique and original, I think I'm not the only one and so it makes that that we want to keep the identity of this series, in a certain way... ^^

I'm not against the glowy parts, they really give a more impressive look, and they kind of show the process this creature use to float or launch fireballs, giving players (news and vets alike) a quick identification of what these monsters are capable of. However I don't think they should be on the hardened part, rather on the soft part as it is where it will transit the gas to inflate his body and move. The blader is really good with the glowing (imagine it with the movement when inflating, and glowing brighter ! Truly awesome!), but I'm less enthusiastic on the shoulders and arms plate. The soft elbows, the armpits, all the other flexible parts and why not the inside of his mouth (especially when vomiting a fireball) would be better in my humble opinion.

But whatever the way it will evolve, these concept still are incredible.

Comment

Darkloser you might not want to make your text black if you want people using the dark theme to read your post
              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I didn't know how to put the text back to a normal color, and as I use the default theme well...
                Me no gud at forum !

Comment

Originally posted by Envarion View Post
                  #5 looks awesome Specter-Owl! Very intimidating! You could do all kinds of fun stuff with the glowy colors. Granted there's not much realistic in terms of biology as pointed out by Darkloser, but I think #5 looks badass. Who cares if it looks too fantasy-esque and if the arms have no real reason to be glowing? They're pretty **** cool! And they'll get used realistic or not... maps are gonna be made based on the enemies available whether consistent with the unreal universe or not. Elemental gasbags ftw! (They'd be a cool option at least.)

And if mappers ever wanted to, there should be a way to tone down the glowy bits if you wanna go for something more realistic, camouflage-y or natural or overall looking not so filled-with-magma. The glowy bits offer easy (albeit basic) options for variety.

#5 is my fav mostly because of the badass plated-looking surfaces contrasting the glowy bits, and #1 is next best imo
                  <3 Much love for the gasbags.
                  Stacey Conley
                  -----------------------------
                  Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                  Epic Games, Inc.
                  Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
                    Haha! Yeah, that post was confusing.
                    The main reason why I did those sketches is that Fly doesn’t have as detailed texture as, for example, Gasbag. There is much more freedom for it’s design. I tried to make different versions using different shapes and find what is working, what is not. The second seemed to be good, but there was something wrong with it too.
                    I think you right about chitin. It looks kinda cartoonish now.

Also – her drawings

Speaking about Gasbag. I experimented with my concept and made some variations. I took Sly’s idea of exploding glowing blob for the fourth drawing. The last one turned out as an armored magma-boss thingy.

Huh? Sly's idea? I'm fairly sure it was mine...

Anyways, I love #5. You should explore more towards that area. Particularly the mouth could use a re-design in that style.

@Darkloser
                    As if UT never was a colorful game

Check out my work!
                    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                    | Localization

Comment

Made a little paintover of #3 with the glow effect I meant. It could also extend to the arms.
                      So normal mode would be no glow or a dim glow. When he shoots it glows intensely.
                      Attached Files
                      -Fn>Metalfist
                      ---------------------
                      Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
                        @Darkloser
                        As if UT never was a colorful game

But not to the point that it looks like a discotheque !

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post

Made a little paintover of #3 with the glow effect I meant. It could also extend to the arms.
                        So normal mode would be no glow or a dim glow. When he shoots it glows intensely.
                        I think the bag should always glow and so be visible. But fainted when not "in use" (floating further/quicker or attacking).
                        I don't know about the rocky plates/theme. Wouldn't that make it redundant with the Titan ? Especially if someone want a fire variant. I really feel like the earth, and overall earthy theme, is more grounded with that big fella than the gasbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                          Also I'm kind of confused as well... are you talking about the Unreal dragonfly ? Cause in my mind I just thought it was a random mutant fly.
                          Shame on me...
                          Yeah, that thing

Ok I'll admit it, that was totally unecessary and dumb...
                          Hahaha! That was a perfect opportunity to use those memes, right?

Hope it helped you ! And I say it again your concept are amazing ! Continue this way !
                          Thank you! Don't worry about the features I mentioned before, they will be there. These concepts are mostly an attempt to look at that creature from a different perspective. It's just easier to improve your concept, when you have several options and variety of ideas.

Originally posted by cafe
                          Dank lookin gasbags. Definitely think the glowing ember skin is cool and would translate pretty well in engine. Need someone to 3d model this thing. All I can really think of is that you might want to do a view from behind, might help the eventual modeler complete that part.
                          Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                          And don't forget a side view...
                          Yeah, I will do that eventually. The way it's posed right now is troublesome for modeling.

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                          I love the idea of the thick hairs along the creatures exterior (I could imagine that would ward off birds from roosting on it whilst resting), as well as the rocky, stony surface texture. Combine that with the monster glowing from the inside when its about to spit out a projectile... it would look awesome!

High five, awesome work!
                          Thank you! That sounds like an interesting combination for a one big nasty Boss-Gasbag

#5 looks awesome Specter-Owl! Very intimidating! You could do all kinds of fun stuff with the glowy colors.
                          Thank you! That's actually an interesting idea!

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                          <3 Much love for the gasbags.
                          Thank you!

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                          I like #3 + a glow effect when he shoots. Like the gasbag first heats up the gas really quick so the gas becomes plasma that he can shoot.
                          (As a reference: (the hobbit) Smaug's chest lights up before he spits fire: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140701043340)
                          I keep similar idea in mind

Originally posted by InVader View Post
                          Huh? Sly's idea? I'm fairly sure it was mine...

Anyways, I love #5. You should explore more towards that area. Particularly the mouth could use a re-design in that style.
                          Oh, I was speaking about this concept art. Sorry, if I missed your post somewhere!

That's awesome to see so many ideas! I took some notes
                          I will have some busy weeks again. Hopefully I will come back with something cool and more solid next time.

Comment

I really like the glowing variants of the Gasbag!

Anyway, I'm working on the Mercenary, and this is a preview of its torso:

I'll try to add mechanic parts to the cannon, as InVader suggested.
                            What do you think?
                            Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Closer and closer to the mercenary !

The hunched back is way more noticeable now, but try (if you can) to give more of an aggressive posture. Like it just want to go head first to tear you apart.
                              I still think you should cover the eyes. It would be really more worrying that way, and further gives this doubt about "Are they organic or robots ?" part.

Also these ghost legs are kind of weird... What ? What do you mean it's not finished yet ?! Ha hell...
                              I don't know about the two toes with a claw (?) behind them. I can't tell how the Mercenary's feet look like (they had shoes ! Noooo !), but the claw seems a little weird and really uncomfortable for walking, especially if placed behind. It's like a high heel, it's already hard to walk with this (No I haven't tried it myself !) and almost impossible to run with that. You should try something more flexible or just get rid of it.

Comment

Really helpful feedback, Darkloser! Thanks a lot!

I decided to show you this unfinished preview to know if I was doing something wrong, without spending too much time on something that could have been weird. As a matter of fact you told me that legs (especially feet) are not so good, and I agree with you! And I've never wondered about "Are they organic or robots ?", and I agree with you once again!

So, thanks again for this constructive feedback.

PS: I should admit that posting an unfinished concept could be unprofessional a bit. Sorry guys and gals, but I also wanted to show you that I'm still working on the designs (the BioRifle is not dead). My absence is due the fact I'm a student, I attend a CG course and so on.

-Luigi Rapetta
                                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                                Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Working...
                                X