Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
    I really like the glowing variants of the Gasbag!

Anyway, I'm working on the Mercenary, and this is a preview of its torso:

I'll try to add mechanic parts to the cannon, as InVader suggested.
    What do you think?
    Ohhhh, I like where that weapon-hand is headed Looks much better now that the entire arm is mechanic.

I'd suggest making the barrel of the weapon thinner, but longer. You know, he doesn't necessarily have to fire big missiles. Micro-missiles are cool too (I admit, I liked that weapon in Titanfall and I'm biased ). Maybe also give it multiple barrels? He can fire both rockets and bullets afterall. Also pay close attention to the shoulder part. Right now it looks like the entire weapon-arm is rather detached from the torso. Make it more smoothly connected. As if the mechy parts are "growing" over his body. Some mechy parts could stretch out a little bit towards the left chest muscle (pectoralis) or the left side of the neck.

I'd also suggest removing the short cable on the inner side of the arm and replace it with some other mechy parts instead. The long one on the outer side of the arm is fine, I think.

I have no particular opinion on the hunchback posture. Darkloser likes it, I'm not sure what to think of it.

Helmet is looking better! Removing the big filters helped a lot. It's still not there, but it's much better. To be more specific, right now his head looks kind of flat. Try making that head/helmet more horizontally longer or just generally rounder. May I suggest these as inspiration?

On his right lower arm I'd suggest removing those 2 weird tubes. You could replace it with some small wrist pockets or simply just make it a cool looking armor plating. Oh and make the armor plating on the arm also a bit more connected. Right now it looks like that plate on the wrist is very disconnected from the rest. The hand and fingers could use more protection as well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by InVader; 02-27-2016, 07:08 AM.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

Comment

Really helpful feedback, Darkloser! Thanks a lot!

I decided to show you this unfinished preview to know if I was doing something wrong, without spending too much time on something that could have been weird. As a matter of fact you told me that legs (especially feet) are not so good, and I agree with you! And I've never wondered about "Are they organic or robots ?", and I agree with you once again!

So, thanks again for this constructive feedback.

PS: I should admit that posting an unfinished concept could be unprofessional a bit. Sorry guys and gals, but I also wanted to show you that I'm still working on the designs (the BioRifle is not dead). My absence is due the fact I'm a student, I attend a CG course and so on.
      Don't get me wrong, As long as you show works, even unfinished, it matters. I'm not expecting fan of the game that use their spare times to make stuff for it to give an entirely complete product. I even prefer the contrary and follow as much as possible of the development.
      The "Organic or Robots ?" question is pretty much what defines the Mercenary. We know they were aliens, but with all their augments we don't know how to define them anymore. We just blast them and see what's inside.

Originally posted by InVader View Post
      Ohhhh, I like where that weapon-hand is headed Looks much better now that the entire arm is mechanic.

I'd suggest making the barrel of the weapon small, but longer. You know, he doesn't necessarily have to fire big missiles. Micro-missiles are cool too (I admit, I liked that weapon in Titanfall and I'm biased ). Maybe also give it multiple barrels? He can fire both rockets and bullets afterall.
      Mini rockets ? Like a Bolter gun ?

I have no particular opinion on the hunchback posture. Darkloser likes it, I'm not sure what to think of it.
      I mainly tried to define what were some key features that were affiliated with the Mercenary by comparing with the original model. I thought the hunchback posture was one of them, mainly showing the aggressiveness of the race.

Helmet is looking better! Removing the big filters helped a lot. It's still not there, but it's much better. To be more specific, right now his head looks kind of flat. Try making that head/helmet more horizontally longer or just generally rounder.
      Agree with that.

Comment

What do you think?
        I like it. The armour looks too thick and UT3-ish to my taste, but everything else is great.
        The new UT is coming along nicely...
        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, again! I'll work on it when I'll have enough time...

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

What do you think?
            Good job, rapfamily4! I really like his left arm and weapon

I agree with InVader, that his right arm seems to be disconnected. The main problem I see here is that your armor is composed of both curved and straight shapes, while this forearm plate is composed only of straight shapes.

Try to bend these forms, maybe add more segments. Also, my personal suggestion - I would like to see here a display or a control panel. I mean, that area is kinda empty and this guy needs to keep an eye on all of his augmentations

I also sketched legs for him really quick, maybe it will help you to figure them out

PS: I should admit that posting an unfinished concept could be unprofessional a bit. Sorry guys and gals, but I also wanted to show you that I'm still working on the designs (the BioRifle is not dead). My absence is due the fact I'm a student, I attend a CG course and so on.
            Trust me, it's better and easier to make major changes now, than when it's gonna be a complete super-detailed drawing
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Specter-Owl; 02-27-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Specter-Owl View Post
              Also, my personal suggestion - I would like to see here a display or a control panel. I mean, that area is kinda empty and this guy needs to keep an eye on all of his augmentations
              Next-gen Omnitool incoming. I dig this idea, though logically it doesn't make a whole lot of sense - I mean, his other hand is f*cking weapon How would he use it?

UNLESS his left arm can mechanically transform into a variety of things. Anything ranging from normal hand, to rocket launcher, machine gun... rail gun(?), energy blade(?!)

I also sketched legs for him really quick, maybe it will help you to figure them out

Trust me, it's better and easier to make major changes now, than when it's gonna be a complete super-detailed drawing
              I accept your feet and raise you these! Sometimes perfection is just around the corner Imho, the UT3 Necris boots would be the best option for the Mercenary. (btw. if not, I vote for #3 in your concepts)

Attached Files
              Check out my work!
              | Localization

Comment

Thanks a LOT + Concept 3

Good job, rapfamily4! I really like his left arm and weapon

I agree with InVader, that his right arm seems to be disconnected. The main problem I see here is that your armor is composed of both curved and straight shapes, while this forearm plate is composed only of straight shapes.

Try to bend these forms, maybe add more segments. Also, my personal suggestion - I would like to see here a display or a control panel. I mean, that area is kinda empty and this guy needs to keep an eye on all of his augmentations

OH GOSH!!!

Thank you so much for the work you did on legs, and thanks for the suggestion about lines! It helped a lot!

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                I like it. The armour looks too thick and UT3-ish to my taste, but everything else is great.
                Thanks! What do you mean with UT3-ish? What are the references to that style?

Next-gen Omnitool incoming. I dig this idea, though logically it doesn't make a whole lot of sense - I mean, his other hand is f*cking weapon How would he use it?

UNLESS his left arm can mechanically transform into a variety of things. Anything ranging from normal hand, to rocket launcher, machine gun... rail gun(?), energy blade(?!)

I accept your feet and raise you these! Sometimes perfection is just around the corner Imho, the UT3 Necris boots would be the best option for the Mercenary. (btw. if not, I vote for #3 in your concepts)

Thanks for the suggestion on boots!

Before I answer to the control panel proposal, I'd like to show you the new concept!

I finally completed this concept art. It's 4:36 AM and I'm SO tired... Your feedback, as usual, has been fundamental.
                I improved the head anatomy, especially the mouth, featuring short jaws between two lateral membranes. Finally I spent more time drawing a transformable cannon, anyway it is still a placeholder (the same for the features). I implemented the control panel, as suggested by Specter-Owl, designing a holographic projector placed under the left lower arm; the console is navigable moving sensors mounted on the fingers (as shown in the image above). I couldn't find any solution to feature fingers into the cannon, as InVader suggested. Now it has got a full mask(!!!) and I should admit that you were right about covering the eyes... I didn't want to design boots, because I think that a more articulate foot is better in terms of visual for this alien creature. I chose the 3rd concept by Specter-Owl.

I'm not totally satisfied on legs, at the moment. I drew them not clearly.

What do you think? Is this an improvement? What may I change?

EDIT: [MENTION=14867]Darkloser[/MENTION] About the pose, I could improve it in the next concept.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by rapfamily4; 02-27-2016, 11:58 PM.

-Luigi Rapetta
                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

In UT3 many skins had a particularly bulky armour suit for some reason, maybe influence from Gears of War. Here are some pics for demonstration:
                  The new UT is coming along nicely...
                  Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

OH GOSH!!!

Thank you so much for the work you did on legs, and thanks for the suggestion about lines! It helped a lot!

Thanks for the suggestion on boots!

Before I answer to the control panel proposal, I'd like to show you the new concept!

I finally completed this concept art. It's 4:36 AM and I'm SO tired... Your feedback, as usual, has been fundamental.
                    I improved the head anatomy, especially the mouth, featuring short jaws between two lateral membranes. Finally I spent more time drawing a transformable cannon, anyway it is still a placeholder (the same for the features). I implemented the control panel, as suggested by Specter-Owl, designing a holographic projector placed under the left lower arm; the console is navigable moving sensors mounted on the fingers (as shown in the image above). I couldn't find any solution to feature fingers into the cannon, as InVader suggested. Now it has got a full mask(!!!) and I should admit that you were right about covering the eyes... I didn't want to design boots, because I think that a more articulate foot is better in terms of visual for this alien creature. I chose the 3rd concept by Specter-Owl.

I'm not totally satisfied on legs, at the moment. I drew them not clearly.

What do you think? Is this an improvement? What may I change?

EDIT: @Darkloser About the pose, I could improve it in the next concept.
                    I'd say this is nearly done. Can we get a drawing of what he looks like from behind?

I think you missed the concept on the feet. Take a closer look at the footprint in the concept. The 2 rear fingers actually bend backwards, not forward. And I know you're not very keen on this, but I would also suggest fully covering the feet.

The armor plates on the legs are nice, but the legs need more of them. Especially the knees!!! You don't want this Mercenary to become a city guard, do you? Knees need protection, as do the backfacing parts of the legs (mainly the thighs).

And then there's little nitpicks. As I mentioned before, the left robotic arm looks disconnected/detached at shoulder area and that little cable on the inner side of the elbows could be replaced as well.

I really can't think of anything else anymore. The cannon is spot on. So is the armor. The right arm looks perfect... I could think of better designs for the helmet, but it kinda suits the armor, so I don't know... Masterful work man.
                    Last edited by InVader; 02-28-2016, 05:16 AM.
                    Check out my work!
                    | Localization

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this before... Ho wait :

Guys (and gals) we got a problem ! D:

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                        I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this before... Ho wait :

Guys (and gals) we got a problem ! D:

I don't see the similarity tbh.

Boots are different, legs are different, chest armor is different, neck is different, head is VERY different. The arms are somewhat similar, but our guy has a robotic arm anyways.
                        Check out my work!
                        | Localization

Comment

I don't see the similarity tbh.

Boots are different, legs are different, chest armor is different, neck is different, head is VERY different. The arms are somewhat similar, but our guy has a robotic arm anyways.
                          It's just to joke, but the posture, two main toes, hunched neck and back, somewhat oblong head, and honestly some parts of the armors aren't that far... at least compared to black and white drawing of Rap.
                          The plates on the top of the feet are in the same idea, same for the plates on the thighs, you can use the same plates (the only difference is that it's facing forward for the Elite were it's on the back for the Mercenary).
                          And all the tiny bits on the armor (don't know if they're supposed to be lights, or holes, or even screws on Rap drawing).

Anyway, isn't what you suggested for a more "flat" head ? something more in length and less in height ?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                            It's just to joke, but the posture, two main toes, hunched neck and back, somewhat oblong head, and honestly some parts of the armors aren't that far... at least compared to black and white drawing of Rap.
                            The plates on the top of the feet are in the same idea, same for the plates on the thighs, you can use the same plates (the only difference is that it's facing forward for the Elite were it's on the back for the Mercenary).
                            And all the tiny bits on the armor (don't know if they're supposed to be lights, or holes, or even screws on Rap drawing).

Anyway, isn't what you suggested for a more "flat" head ? something more in length and less in height ?
                            He has along neck, not a long head :T
                            And I only said that because it looked like somebody punched his face up into his brain :P
                            Check out my work!
                            | Localization

Comment

I've started to finish up this first iteration of the krall, not completely happy though since he's looking too bumpy and noisy, bit it's a start and some armor will probably help with the visuals.

Anyway, if you've got any ideas for armor, clothes, decorations or the staff-weapon, please post them.

Attached Files

Comment

Yup it's a little too much on the scales. ^^'

Actually try to make some areas smoother, or use some larger scales (like a snake possess smaller scales on the back and larger on the belly). For exemple I see that you put scales even in the palm of the hands, remove them and put something more "clean". Same for the crest, try something that looks more "plate" like maybe.

For the outfitt, I don't think they should wear that much. The piece of clothes they had in UT3 seems to be the most fitting, they haven't evolved that much in their culture, just used what they were provided (mainly guns or their modified staff). Use what you see in traditional savage tribes as inspiration (like a necklace made with teeth).
                                However don't hesitate to use tatoos and paints on them, especially as a mean to define their rank in their society (Red and Blue Kralls).
                                For the staff, I suppose it will be a mix beetwen some traditional battlestaff they used and the technology the Skaarj provided. A little like the Ma'Tok staff (the jaffa staff in Stargate). So it possess a ranged attack, but the kralls will use it more often as melee weapon than a ranged one, primarily because they prefer infighting combats.
                                Also one nice little touch could be to put a Skaarj marking on them, like livestock branding, to show they were enslaved (this isn't necessary though).

Comment

Working...
                                X