Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by AndyN View Post
    I've started to finish up this first iteration of the krall, not completely happy though since he's looking too bumpy and noisy, bit it's a start and some armor will probably help with the visuals.

    Anyway, if you've got any ideas for armor, clothes, decorations or the staff-weapon, please post them.


    I think we're seeing scales too much with every monster we're remaking...
    The new UT is coming along nicely...
    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

    Comment


      Originally posted by AndyN View Post
      I've started to finish up this first iteration of the krall, not completely happy though since he's looking too bumpy and noisy, bit it's a start and some armor will probably help with the visuals.

      Anyway, if you've got any ideas for armor, clothes, decorations or the staff-weapon, please post them.


      I personally LOVE the bumpy/noisy look. With PBR and a rough material, the noise will melt away, especially with some awesome tribal armour.

      GREAT WORK. I can't stop saying that with all the awesome talent here!

      Comment


        Originally posted by AndyN View Post
        I've started to finish up this first iteration of the krall, not completely happy though since he's looking too bumpy and noisy, bit it's a start and some armor will probably help with the visuals.

        Anyway, if you've got any ideas for armor, clothes, decorations or the staff-weapon, please post them.


        Imho it's not really the scales that bother me. It's the huge feet. I think you should give him some kind of armor/clothes in addition to these scales and change the feet. I mean, we probably don't wan to give him fur or smooth skin, because that would look weird on something that resembles lizards. (I bet somebody is already creating Khajiit for UT)

        My 1st suggestion would be to make the feet just generally smaller. We already have a lot of monsters with 2 toes, so how about giving him 4 + palmation (webbings) to make him look like a creature living near water? Not sure if we want to portray them as creatures living in/near water though. In UT3 the background during character selection looked a lot like a jungle, if you went with the Krall.

        Personally I would try legs like these:

        Attached Files
        Check out my work!
        | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
        | Localization

        Comment


          Originally posted by InVader View Post
          Imho it's not really the scales that bother me. It's the huge feet. I think you should give him some kind of armor/clothes in addition to these scales and change the feet. I mean, we probably don't wan to give him fur or smooth skin, because that would look weird on something that resembles lizards. (I bet somebody is already creating Khajiit for UT)

          My 1st suggestion would be to make the feet just generally smaller. We already have a lot of monsters with 2 toes, so how about giving him 4 + palmation (webbings) to make him look like a creature living near water? Not sure if we want to portray them as creatures living in/near water though. In UT3 the background during character selection looked a lot like a jungle, if you went with the Krall.

          Personally I would try legs like these:

          I strongly disagree here. I think the feet are fine. By the way, how can you say we have too much monsters with two toes ? The krall is like the only one with that, be it in recreation or in the original game. The Skaarj have beetwen 3-4, the Brute 3, the Titan three (two front, one back), etc...
          And I don't think Kralls lived near water (the Sliths are more aimed as the underwater/near water enemies). However they probably originated from a harsh world, which gave them their vicious behaviour and agressive behaviour.

          Comment


            Hey!

            Love this thread already :-)

            just got over it, so i have no visuals atm. But my thinking in general on this is, that in traditional Unreal 1 the Races like the Nali and even the Skaarj appear some sort of a ancient species,
            Skaarj and Krall seem to have some reptile Skin, and most of the enemy Weaponary (Except those Bio-Sludge Freaks) appear like some sort of Magic Weapons, (Skaarj Projectiles, Krall with theyre Staff)
            and the Nali have a strong connection to theyre Gods, and i would say Rites, Cultes, and so on.

            So even if they have in Some Levels very Advanced Technology, i guess more then half of the Game is in a pretty almost Mid-Age Style (Ancient Castles, Temples, ...). What i want to point out is, it might be a good idea, to
            keep that in Mind when thinking of re-creating those Creatures, especially in terms of Armor, so there two ways i see, which is a very advanced Sci-Fi type of Armor (What theyre using definatly)
            or some pretty old Fashioned Armor Style, like some sort of leather Cloth might Fit in pretty well also.

            Comment


              6 Axis Robot Arm Biped for UT4 Faction Robots and / or Unreal Universe Monsters!

              Here is my submission for [OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction Phase 1: WEAKEST - Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

              [screenshot]http://orig15.deviantart.net/c5df/f/2016/065/8/c/6_axis_robot_arm_biped___view_1___mockup_1_by_richardboegli-d9u3kbb.png[/screenshot][screenshot]http://orig09.deviantart.net/a5d6/f/2016/065/0/5/6_axis_robot_arm_biped___view_2___mockup_1_by_richardboegli-d9u3mds.png[/screenshot][screenshot]https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/screenshots/pics/db19d16e9b299ee73ca69401bf6829e3/large.jpg[/screenshot]

              For the last 20 or so years in my spare time, I've been designing and building walking and biped robots.

              The original concept was to create a biped walking robot utilising 6 axis robot arms as legs and feet

              I came up with concept about 15 years ago, when I saw a Toyota factory poster which had two 6 axis robot arms on an assembly line (Not the poster itself, but an example to demonstrate my point)
              I thought to myself "How easy would it be to create a biped robot, if the legs are already made and I just have to create a counterweight frame?"

              I extended this concept to think about using the 6 axis robot arms for legs for 4, 6 and above legged robots.
              Most of my biped robots have utilised the ZMP / Zero Moment Point philosophy (introduced by Miomir Vukobratović in 1968) to make them statically stable ie: the point where the total of horizontal inertia and gravity forces equals 0 (zero).
              So the robot transfers weight such that it is balanced before it moves a leg forward.

              This is easier to design for than “dynamically stable” locomotion as a human aren’t actually stable when walking.

              When [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION] from Epic Games announced the thread for [OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction, I thought about how I could extend the design to add arms such that it could carry things. As the biped might not fit the standard biped skeleton for UT4, I’ve posted it into [MENTION=18574]KazeoHin-TechAE[/MENTION] thread Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together! aswell.


              The robot is comprises of
              • 6 axis robot arms - QTY 4 (Arms and Legs)
              • I-Beam - QTY 1 (Body)
              • Tablet - QTY 1 (Head / Face)


              I used the FANUC-430 Robot which I got from GrabCAD by Ken Schulze as I like the styling of the Fanuc Robot arms, I used one as part of the design for my final year thesis and this model looks good

              The biped needs more work to actually add mounting plates, bolts, cables, stiffeners etc… This is a very rough mockup just to show the concept.

              Engineering wise, I’d have to spec up robot arms which are capable of lifting their own weight. The plan is to actually design and build one of these in real life once I can secure funding.

              I utilised Autodesk Inventor 2016 to assemble this mockup. There wasn’t much modelling involved

              As this is @KazeoHin-TechAE thread, feel free to use my thread to comment on this mockup instead of commenting here.
              Last edited by richardboegli; 03-05-2016, 10:28 AM.
              Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

              Comment


                What is wrong with you spamming it in every thread? Isn't it enough to be in the Robot Faction one?!

                EDIT: Wait, I thought, this was just a joke image, so it didn't make sense to me to triple post it.
                Last edited by Spector CZ; 03-05-2016, 05:43 PM.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Spector CZ View Post
                  What is wrong with you spamming it in every thread? Isn't it enough to be in the Robot Faction one?!
                  If you read the post, it belongs in both threads, depending on if I can get it to match the UT4 skeleton model, otherwise it'll become a monster.

                  I've created my own thread for it, so that people can comment there, so I don't have to trawl through UT4 Robot Faction thread and the Unreal Monster thread to find feedback.

                  I don't see the issue with posting it as I have done, others have double posted (Own thread then into Robots or Monsters). I just happen to have to triple post in this one instance as I couldn't think of a better way.

                  If a mod advises I've done the wrong thing, then I'll just put a single picture, removing the text and link to my thread if that is more acceptable. Or whatever the mod advises I will follow.

                  Thanks.
                  Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

                  Comment


                    Not sure if serious or troll?
                    Besides this isn't an unreal monster.
                    -Fn>Metalfist
                    ---------------------
                    Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                      Not sure if serious or troll?
                      Besides this isn't an unreal monster.
                      I'm serious.

                      Why can't we have new unreal monsters?
                      Recreating things which have already existed is fine, but its a new game, so I don't see the issue of having new characters.

                      If you disagree that's your opinion, which is fine.

                      Here's an off the cuff back story. If I cannot get it to fit within the UT4 standard skeletal frame, the robot got angry because it couldn't participate in the tournament. So it became a monster, bent on seeking its revenge on Unreal Tournament participants.
                      Last edited by richardboegli; 03-05-2016, 07:26 PM.
                      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                        Not sure if serious or troll?
                        Besides this isn't an unreal monster.
                        [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION] said this in another thread and I think its relevant.

                        I'm creating a model, not a mod, but same thing applies.

                        Originally posted by YemYam
                        ...The whole thing you are missing is they are doing a mod and having fun doing it. Why are you trying to rain on their parade? That's what hobbyist level development is all about. Having fun and learning. It is separate from the core game development. That's the way it should be done.
                        Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

                        Comment


                          I'm sorry but that thing looks stupid.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Hunterman View Post
                            I'm sorry but that thing looks stupid.
                            Originally posted by Spector CZ View Post
                            What is wrong with you spamming it in every thread? Isn't it enough to be in the Robot Faction one?!

                            EDIT: Wait, I thought, this was just a joke image, so it didn't make sense to me to triple post it.
                            Hehe,; Great, thanks for the feedback. I didn't think I'd be to everyones taste, but that doesn't matter.

                            Its the first mockup to prove the concept, so it is far from being complete.

                            Once its has additional detail added it might become more appealing, but if not so what.

                            I'm an engineer, so I can't draw, but I can CAD.

                            The fact that it could possibly be used in UT4 would be great, but I'm CADing it up as I intend to build one in real life. So any feedback I get about aesthetic is great.
                            Last edited by richardboegli; 03-05-2016, 08:17 PM.
                            Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

                            Comment


                              If youve read my post, i really care about the deeper meaning, and try to get an understanding of of the Unreal Universe, which is in my opinion probably one of the most important keys to recreate an Unreal Universe.
                              When Unreal 1 was created in 1998 the creators couldnt express everything like they would because of limited Computing Power, and now in my opinion if someone wants to head for a successfull remake for at
                              least the Monsters, the Weapons, or the Unreal Environment, its an more then essential key to fill the gap between restrictions to its time, and now. So a lot of Graphical and Spiritual Detail (in a sense of advancing things)
                              has to be interpretated correctly to match the original Shape and feeling of the Game.

                              So i have absolutly no problem with cultivating and advancing stuff to match the desired experience to our now- Days used stuff, but it has to match the Theme.
                              And Im Sorry to say, but this Robot Kind of thing in my opinion just doesnt. It doesent Fit in, it doesent feel like anything Unreal. Not that i wouldnt appreaciate your work, not at all. But just not for an Unreal themed Thread.

                              So if you want to com in Handy, try to get an awareness what Role Skaar play in this Franchise, what role the Kralls Play, and all the other more or less Animal Kreatures, and maybe built a third Tree out of that, but be aware of sticking to the Bigger Picture and theme of Unreal.

                              Please.

                              BTW: an absolutly awesome Example in my opnion is Black Mesa Source, the Re-Creation of Half Life 1. And if Half Life 1 can Get an absolutly worthy remake, Unreal deserves it 10 times.
                              Last edited by Daedlus; 03-05-2016, 08:17 PM.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Daedlus View Post
                                If youve read my post, i really care about the deeper meaning, and try to get an understanding of of the Unreal Universe, which is in my opinion probably one of the most important keys to recreate an Unreal Universe.
                                When Unreal 1 was created in 1998 the creators couldnt express everything like they would because of limited Computing Power, and now in my opinion if someone wants to head for a successfull remake for at
                                least the Monsters, the Weapons, or the Unreal Environment, its an more then essential key to fill the gap between restrictions to its time, and now. So a lot of Graphical and Spiritual Detail (in a sense of advancing things)
                                has to be interpretated correctly to match the original Shape and feeling of the Game.

                                So i have absolutly no problem with cultivating and advancing stuff to match the desired experience to our now- Days used stuff, but it has to match the Theme.
                                And Im Sorry to say, but this Robot Kind of thing in my opinion just doesnt. It doesent Fit in, it doesent feel like anything Unreal. Not that i wouldnt appreaciate your work, not at all. But just not for an Unreal themed Thread.

                                So if you want to com in Handy, try to get an awareness what Role Skaar play in this Franchise, what role the Kralls Play, and all the other more or less Animal Kreatures, and maybe built a third Tree out of that, but be aware of sticking to the Bigger Picture and theme of Unreal.

                                Please.

                                BTW: an absolutly awesome Example in my opnion is Black Mesa Source, the Re-Creation of Half Life 1. And if Half Life 1 can Get an absolutly worthy remake, Unreal deserves it 10 times.
                                Great, thanks I appreciate the feedback [MENTION=280978]Daedlus[/MENTION]. I haven't read your post that you mentioned as this thread has stuff added to it all the time and I sometimes miss posts.

                                If the robot is not a fit for the universe, that's fine. This is the feedback I wanted to get.

                                When you wrote Skaar, I assume you meant Skaarj?

                                I remember the Skaarj warlord.

                                I'm starting to learning how to model organic creatures as I'm trying to diversify my skill set, so this could be something good for me to try out.

                                Thanks!
                                Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X