Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post
    Previously it was just wave after wave of monsters, I don't recall the stock Invasion in UT2004 having actual boss type stuff. However, by implementing scripted boss events, it would give the gametype a lot more depth and some sort of progression. It's a great opportunity to attract new players who really enjoy cooperative gameplay, who will then also inevitably explore other gametypes thereafter.

These size comparisons might be useful for reference:
    Did you do these size comparisons yourself based on the actual models, or is this more of an eyeballed thing? It seems off for the bigger creatures, exaggerating their relative size.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Those models are likely accurate. I checked and they're that size in Unreal's editor. UT2k4's maps were just so huge that they still fit.

Comment

The titan and the queen seem ok, but I relly don't remember the others being that big by comparison, especially the gasbag and pupae thingy

Comment

They were from Beyond Unreal's Liandri Archives, great resource, I directly linked them here using the image tags. The Unreal editor seemed to show the same sizes so it's pretty accurate strangely enough. Maybe they looked smaller due to the map size and FOV, like the Pupae for example is one which I had second thoughts. There were two different types of Gasbags, the small normal one and then the enlarged Giant Gasbag one that wasn't in UT2004's invasion by default, but it was in the original Unreal game. In fact the Titan, Queen, and Giant Gasbag weren't in Invasion by default possibly due to size issues. The imported models were rescaled as well to fit the maps, so that's probably why they were tinier than what they would've been. Or maybe it was the other way around, they were kept at the same size relative to Unreal's player model size, but not UT2004's player models.
          Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

The scales of all these Unreal monsters posted earlier seem definitely all correct to me.

I think a big challenge now could be ingame consistency.

Those who saw the stream today likely didn't miss the official Skaarj pick. As the Skaarj is a very iconic monster to invasion (you can't have invasion without Skaarj in an Unreal franchise game ), the most important questions to ask are:

Go with the official design and have consistency within the lore or go with a more monstrous design?

How would this influence the Trooper, Warlord and other designs with semi- to full-body armour?

Picking an entirely new design with different proportions would mean having to redesign a fair share of the armour designs of these enemies too as elements may not fit in anymore or because gaps show up on parts that became stretched or otherwise modified. The biggest change between different Skaarj classes was the size. The anatomy, headshape and other things usually remained mostly identical.
            The official design could potentially cause this issue too as the head shape is much more human than previous iterations of the Skaarj head, but it could be easier to modify it (deleting the armour and re-adding the bare body) to have a ready-to-go regular unarmoured Skaarj.
            Last edited by Sly.; 09-09-2015, 11:04 PM.
            S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
              Go with the official design or have consistency within the lore and go with a more monstrous design?
              Fixed that for you Sly.

I'm personally calling the Skaarj we saw on stream a Skaarj hybrid. He looks cool, and it's a well done creature, it just doesn't match up closely enough with the features I want from a Skaarj. Too human overall. Fortunately, we already know there are Skaarj-Human hybrids, so it's no big deal.

I really was never in favor of bringing the Skaarj in as player models anyway since they are much better suited for being Invasion foes. Having to align with the player model size, profile, and animations is just detrimental to the idea of having a really cool monster.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Scaling isnt as big problem as proportions, scaling can be adjusted later as long as the maps have enough room for the adjustments and its quite easy to do. I would be more concerned with rigging, these models were made before skeletal animation was even a thing, thats why I suggested the Krall from UT3 because its easy to get them out in FBX format and put em in UE4 quickly all ready to go. You guys coulda been working on the actual gameplay already. In terms of monstrosity, the UT3 Krall are in a good position vs the UT4 Skaarj. Certainly looking forward to invasion but I hope its more than just mindless waves of drones, after all 2004 was over a decade ago and Id like to think gameplay has gone somewhere in that time, especially with the amazing tools Epic provides now in comparison.
                Last edited by MonsOlympus; 09-10-2015, 01:23 AM.
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Since UT4 Skaarj we saw was Skaarj-Human Hybrid, The Pure Skaarjs would be more monstrous and beastly, like a Sophisticated Space Barbarian.

Comment

figured I'd try and start small trying to take on one of the smaller but essential enemies from Unreal... the pupae:

This is really just trying to get the basic shapes and features in.. 30 minute sculpt if that.
                    Last edited by Quadj130; 09-26-2015, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Heh, I wanted to make a Skaarj pupae concept myself. Good to see someone started with a model!
                      I have made a paintover, I hope you don't mind and I hope it will come in useful as a source of inspiration!

I wanted to take the pupae and modernize it a bit there, adding more structure and details without breaking its DNA and shape/silhouette.

To further explain what I have done and why, I have written some description of what is what on this anatomy sheet:

As it's probably already clear, I tried to basically make them miniature Skaarj and reflect "in development" elements of the Skaarj design in it.
                      The overall direction was inspired by the official Skaarj and the model of Joeliepoo. You will likely recognize elements of it when you look at the paintover I did of his model or his original approach.

I hope you like some design elements of it. If you don't, absolutely no problem! Also, don't feel pressured to go my way just because I posted it. I mainly did this to relax, as a break from other stuff I'm doing right now.

Curious to see where you're going to take your pupae!
                      Attached Files
                      S l y .

Comment

Wonderful work on the Pupae Sly! Perhaps I should model him into a 3D Mesh.
                        Formerly known as Gmax5 on Epic Games Forums.

Franklin Iheanacho
                        [Pronounced: EEH-HON-A-CHO]

- Game Artist & Programmer
                        - Unreal Engine Veteran

My Team
                        Our Current Game

Comment

@Sly: hahaha wow that is such a great concept I was trying to get more of a "demonic pupae" vibe in my model and it seems you have read my mind with your paintover! I'll see what I can come up with.

Comment

Some work on the face based from the paintover:

Comment

Very cute! Is what inspires me and at same time causes sadness for the Unreal series (non-tournament).

Comment

Originally posted by Skaary View Post
                                Very cute! Is what inspires me and at same time causes sadness for the Unreal series (non-tournament).
                                Well, a group is gonna remake Unreal with UE4

Comment

Working...
                                X