Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now this is a direction I'm really interested in for the Brutes !

And you're now at 666 posts. So something evil and mean will happen !

Comment

Thanks, Darkloser! Your feedback was fundamental (with lies I meant the wait for more feedback, not your suggestions <:3)! Speaking about it's colour, I'll try to resemble the model to the Eightballs as you suggested (beige/brown shades).

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
      And you're now at 666 posts. So something evil and mean will happen !
      The MEANEST retopology+bake EVER.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

342 vertices! Do you think they're too many? Anyway, there's still a lot of work to do, a lot of errors to solve...

...**** UVs...

-Luigi Rapetta
      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
      Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
        342 vertices! Do you think they're too many?
        You could check Epic's projectiles in Editor... IIRC even current Flak shell has about few hundreds of polygons, and I think rocket proj could be heavier in that regard.

Oh, and BTW - I really like your initiatives too .

-------------

EDIT
        Flak shell - 248 tris / 202 verts, Rocket mesh: 1252 tris / 935 verts
        Last edited by exo7341; 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM.
        - got sig? -

Comment

[MENTION=258989]exo7341[/MENTION]

Thank you! So it's a regular polycount.

By the way, I updated the mesh decreasing the number of verts from 342 to 322 and optimizing the UVs resulting in a better bake.

I also imported the model in the UE4!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

^ Looking good! Do you plan to make fins unfolding while in flight?
            - got sig? -

Comment

Originally posted by exo7341 View Post
              ^ Looking good! Do you plan to make fins unfolding while in flight?
              Thanks!

Those fins are static at the moment. I imagined these projectiles as 40mm grenades which work as rockets. So I modeled very straight fins.

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Hello!

I painted the texture today! I also edited the material properties.

The fuze is made of brass with a copper tip. The LEDs are green, as suggested by Darkloser, and I have to say I love them! I used an emission map for those with some additional particular: I hope those are noticeable.

These are some screenshots of the rocket in the UT Editor.

I'm going to add Skaarj decals as soon as possible. Anyway, do you like the current direction?

-Luigi Rapetta
                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Hello!

I edited the material again. Now, the diffuse texture has got Skaarj decals, which have a higher specular value to give the impression they're printed on the rocket main body.

I also did a quick texture for the fired rocket. Honestly the latter is really raw... anyway, it's just an experiment I did, so I can focus on it when the default texture is done.

-Luigi Rapetta
                  (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Great progress, Luigi! You're learning some very useful techniques here!

My personal two little suggestions:
                    - maybe try to make markings' "paint" more contrasting (and also add some wear)?
                    - can you control (and maybe increase) normal intensity for those stampings in the middle part (as I feel they look somewhat flat)
                    - got sig? -

Comment

Hey [MENTION=247414]rapfamily4[/MENTION] that last one is looking pretty good. Although it looks like you need to set the metalness value, as of right now it looks like plastic.
                      Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                      Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Thank you for the feedback! Here you are a fresh update.

I edited the normal, adding a detail normal map, too. I fixed metalness and decals contrast on the diffuse texture.

Attached Files

-Luigi Rapetta
                        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Some more little details to add to the brute - they definitely were not bald, but rather had quite hairy chests and kind of thin, long, wispy hair (just look at the image on the last page). Might have been mentioned previously - I didn't quite read through the 53 entire pages present.

The slith on the first page looks nice this far!

Not sure about the mercenary - makes me think of X-COM 2 sectoids.

A bit mixed feelings on the titan - I'd like to see a bit more bulk, slightly more hunched forward, a bit less "rock-monster" and a bit more "humanoid saurian"?

Gasbag looks good - maybe a little bit rework on the nose/mouth area? The "nose area" on the model in the first page looks a bit too sunken, and gasbags were generally quite toothy.

Similar words on the nali cow - maybe a bit less sunken-in sides of snout and less circular wrinkles - compare to actual cows - but the body looks good.

Once again mixed feelings about the krall - he looks like he's about to fall flat on his face, and it's quite far removed from the creatures I encountered back in 1998? I quite like the general leg design implementation, however - just give them some red/blue patterns and proper backwards-bending knees.

Not really fond of the green skaarj model in the first post - it looks like a hunchbacked cross between a Warhammer/Warcraft orc and a two-armed version of the race in that not-well-received John Carter movie. Maybe a little bit of some Doom demon mixed in, too, but not really a skaarj.

The rocket seems quite fitting to me.

I very much intend to try my own hand on skaarj, krall, etc, too - skaarj probably firsthand. From sketches to 3D models... And maybe nalangaroos and nali birds if I want something a bit simpler to tackle in between.

As a sidenote - I disagree that nali were uniformly a pacifist race (why is the concept of one species == one culture so prevalent when we humans have and have had so many of them being humans?). Most likely, they have/had different cultures, much like there are various temples of different styles in the original games, from Chizra to the "churches" ... I see some nali living like buddhist monks, but others having young adults go through death traps before they are considered proper adults while throwing suspected criminals into an enclosed space and releasing a captive titan on them to test them - the Dark Arena was supposedly built by nali, after all.

Comment

Rheia Ionan

Thanks a lot for the feedback, and I'm courious to see your artwork!

Oh, regarding the Mercenary, I'd like to show you a concept I made one year ago (if you want to go to the actual work, click here). The model with no armor at the first page is just a little experiment.

-Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Originally posted by Rheia Ionan View Post
                              Some more little details to add to the brute - they definitely were not bald, but rather had quite hairy chests and kind of thin, long, wispy hair (just look at the image on the last page). Might have been mentioned previously - I didn't quite read through the 53 entire pages present.

The slith on the first page looks nice this far!

Not sure about the mercenary - makes me think of X-COM 2 sectoids.

A bit mixed feelings on the titan - I'd like to see a bit more bulk, slightly more hunched forward, a bit less "rock-monster" and a bit more "humanoid saurian"?

Gasbag looks good - maybe a little bit rework on the nose/mouth area? The "nose area" on the model in the first page looks a bit too sunken, and gasbags were generally quite toothy.

Similar words on the nali cow - maybe a bit less sunken-in sides of snout and less circular wrinkles - compare to actual cows - but the body looks good.

Once again mixed feelings about the krall - he looks like he's about to fall flat on his face, and it's quite far removed from the creatures I encountered back in 1998? I quite like the general leg design implementation, however - just give them some red/blue patterns and proper backwards-bending knees.

Not really fond of the green skaarj model in the first post - it looks like a hunchbacked cross between a Warhammer/Warcraft orc and a two-armed version of the race in that not-well-received John Carter movie. Maybe a little bit of some Doom demon mixed in, too, but not really a skaarj.

The rocket seems quite fitting to me.

I very much intend to try my own hand on skaarj, krall, etc, too - skaarj probably firsthand. From sketches to 3D models... And maybe nalangaroos and nali birds if I want something a bit simpler to tackle in between.

As a sidenote - I disagree that nali were uniformly a pacifist race (why is the concept of one species == one culture so prevalent when we humans have and have had so many of them being humans?). Most likely, they have/had different cultures, much like there are various temples of different styles in the original games, from Chizra to the "churches" ... I see some nali living like buddhist monks, but others having young adults go through death traps before they are considered proper adults while throwing suspected criminals into an enclosed space and releasing a captive titan on them to test them - the Dark Arena was supposedly built by nali, after all.
                              You're right about the Brute's hair, they did have a little bit of it. However they probably weren't hairy, the chest justhad a darker tone for some kind of shadow effect. If you look at other Brutes models you'll see a similar thing. I believe if they wanted the Brute to possess hairy chest (or any other hairy part) they would have been able to show as clearly as they depicted its actual hairs.

The Titan is actually linked a lot to earth and rock. There's even a version clearly called a "Stone Titan". I don't know what you read exactly on the thread, but you read the development of the Titan you will understand why it possess this look.

The entire series (Unreal, UT and UC series) depict and describe the Nali as actually a rather shy and peacefull race. It often cause them to be looked down by other races, and be either exploited or the unfortunate victims of their violence (The Skaarj seems to especially enjoy this). The only instance where the Nali showed an eventual different behavior is during Unreal 1 and slightly in UT99, as it is showed that certain Nali tried to fight back (they apparently didn't succeed considering the number of dead body next to their weapons). Otherwise they are kinda forced to live relatively calmly as they don't possess the actual strength (both technologically and physically) to really fight back. And their enslavement to the service of the Skaarj haven't helped either.
                              The Dark arena is clearly stated as built by the Nali, but also that it was in their past history. So though they might have benn at one point more sinister or violent, they are finished with this period of time. Plus, it's also said that the Skaarj use it now, so they might find it fancy and funny to just throw the Nalis in their own pits and watch them die.
                              Yes humans, have different cultures. But we aren't talking about humans, and well... pretty much anything is possible about a fictive universe, even a race united under one common culture and belief (without it being some kind of hive mind).

Overall, I strongly suggest you to read the entire thread and all the pages if possible. I know it can be rather long, but it would help you a lot to understand how things have evolved, what input came in and so what was the process that gave the current results.

Comment

For no reason, I decided to see what would happen to original monster skins with normal/metal/ao maps applied to them. So, here's a Brute and a Warrior (idk, maybe it could be somehow useful for reference purposes?):

- got sig? -

Comment

Working...
                                X