Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any updates on the animation exo7341? The brute animation wasn't that bad

Comment

• Originally posted by HereticGrunt View Post
      Any updates on the animation exo7341? The brute animation wasn't that bad
      Yeah, as I said before I had to switch from Max to Maya... so this whole time I was learning it 'hard way' (those my Cow turrets were actually a 'by-product' of that process). Maya's handy HumanIK tool didn't worked for me because it expects your mesh to be in a T-pose (which obviously is not available in our case), so I had to create my own custom skeleton from scratch.

Currently I'm working on rigging part, and I hope to do some animation tests this week.
      - got sig? -

Comment

• Hello to everyone! I'm back from my final exams!

I finished them really well, with good marks. Now I can continue to work on something I was holding on for too much time.

Here you are a small update for the Krall's spear. I updated the UVs, fixing some errors with mipmaps and adding new detail to the maps. Now, the material is really basic, but I'll work on it.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
        Last edited by rapfamily4; 07-09-2017, 10:36 AM. Reason: Grammar

-Luigi Rapetta
        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
        Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

• Hi people,

I was fantasizing today about a UE4 revamp of the original Unreal, and started doing some concept, which I might actually mode. It is a small update of the Lesser Brute enemy. It's way too sketchy yet, but it might be enough for feedback. Feel free to suggest

Comment

• Hello again! Here you are some progress!

I worked a lot on the materials, also fixing a lot of errors. I played a bit with the Specular value, making the metal shinier than the leather. I also added new detail to the grips: the molds should be more visible.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I spent quite a lot of time to reach a nearly good result for the crystal material. It's translucent and it has a certain level of refraction. I decided to use Fresnel for its color hue to give the impression this crystal has something inside which makes it shine with its own light. Indeed, tou can see the borders are green, while the inner zone is lime. I also tweaked emissive values.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Plus, not only the crystal glows in the dark. The bands toward the crystal and the trigger have emissive values.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

What do you think could improve this model?

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

• Originally posted by Abel Oroz View Post
              Hi people,

I was fantasizing today about a UE4 revamp of the original Unreal, and started doing some concept, which I might actually mode. It is a small update of the Lesser Brute enemy. It's way too sketchy yet, but it might be enough for feedback. Feel free to suggest
              I love the head you drew! Nice work! I think you should also see the work of SpecrteOwl and Kazeo regarding the Brute.

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

• Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                What do you think could improve this model?
                Well ...I don't know if I said it already, but the only thing I don't like is the fragile mounting of the crystal. One hit against it and the crystal flies out of the staff.
                The staff itself looks sturdy and plausible and could even fit as a player weapon. A mod/replacement for the Enforcer.

.......................................................coffee addicted !!!
                UT99.org + Corporation Logos for UT4

Comment

• papercoffee

Thanks for the feedback! I just did a hot-fix. I scaled the mountings a little bit. This should be a temporary solution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bigger_mountings.png
Views:	1
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	390688

Anyway, since Siege (Invasion) is out there, I'm really interested to see the work other people could provide. The latest Brute concept was nice, for instance.

-Luigi Rapetta
                  (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

• Originally posted by Abel Oroz View Post
                    Hi people,

Now THATS what i don't want to piss off. Also, welcome to the forums!

Comment

• rapfamily4 looking at crystal part's close-up, I think you could add some wear to the blades (you know, some scratches, chipping on their sides, and cutting wear for edges etc). Overall, it's just great you doing all this work!

@ Abel Obez, really nice work indeed! Keep it up!
                      - got sig? -

Comment

• exo7341

Thanks for feedback!

I'll surely add some wear to the border of the blades. About the actual sides of the blades, they have shared UV islands, so if I draw any sort of well noticeable detail on them, it will be cloned to all the sides of all the blades: I have to draw very small, symmetrical detail, to give the impression it's not cloned to all the other blades.

Anyway, the latest image shows the model has 6134 verts. I decided to make the polycount as low as possible due to the fact this prop should spawn a lot in Siege. Do you think the polycount is acceptable? Plus, because of the level of detail I wanted to reach for the textures (and to solve some issues with mipmaps) I decided to use 4 materials for the entire model, applying 4096x4096 maps for each one. Do you think this choice could badly affect performance?

-Luigi Rapetta
                        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

• rapfamily4 : You're doing some really nice work on the staff. However I do agree with papercoffee that the mounting for the crystal needs to be more sturdy, or at least with some tech that keeps it solidly in place. Also I think you should work a little bit more on the glow of the trigger/switch, as it looks like it's directly the crystal, and not some kind of "plastic switch" with a light emanating from it.
                          You see these switch when they're turned on ? :

Something similar in terms of glow and refraction would do nicely.

Abel Oroz : Welcome, I like the art you did with the Brute, especially the face where the teeth, tusks, eyes and scaled eyebrows are a clear reminder of the Skaarj faction and bio engineering. I'm less attracted however to the "pig" nose, and would like something even less protuberant, something in this idea :

With wider nostrils.

Comment

• rapfamily4 if I'm getting things right and current Siege monsters are using regular player meshes (and 3p weapons) we should have following numbers: Tyle mesh: about 32,000 polys, plus weapon mesh (varies from about 12,000 for Enforcer up to 34,000 for RL). Of course, it's always a good idea to keep numerous monsters' polycount low, but still I think we're in a safe zone with your current stats.
                            - got sig? -

Comment

• Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                              papercoffee

Thanks for the feedback! I just did a hot-fix. I scaled the mountings a little bit. This should be a temporary solution.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	bigger_mountings.png Views:	1 Size:	507.8 KB ID:	390688

You are in the right direction ...but it's still not sturdy or stable enough.
                              Ok a little visualisation:
                              Take a fresh cucumber and hold it with only three fingertips on each end but on the farthest point (like the crystal in your staff) ...and now try to break it in two with your knee.
                              I predict, it won't work. The cucumber will certainly fly away because your grip was not stable enough.

You need to wrap your hands around each end to get more stability.
                              Same goes for the crystal the mountings are unnecessarily fragile for a melee weapon.
                              And think about some kind of protection for the crystal because it is its only energy-source as well... if the crystal is destroyed is this weapon merely a staff.

.......................................................coffee addicted !!!
                              UT99.org + Corporation Logos for UT4

Comment

• I just thought crystal could be clamped by something resembling drill chuck - it's adjustable for different sizes, and quite sturdy as well:
                                - got sig? -

Comment

Working...
                                X