Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good progress!
    Maybe you could move the nostrils apart a bit so there is more space in between them. So far that's the only spot on the face where I think it could look better if modified a bit.

Oh and in case you want perfect symmetry, you may want to use the mirror modifier and mirror it along the axis that is currently the middle. I'm not sure how well that goes with sculpting as I never tried sculpting in Blender, but that could be the "easy way to go". Near the end of the process you could then just apply the modifier to merge both halves and add asymmetry where desired. Then again, this would mean you will have to cut your model in half and in worst case, it could be that you might have to start over.
    Last edited by Sly.; 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM.
    S l y .

Comment

Really good stuff here, I like the paint over a lot Sly, especially the spikes on the lower legs! Keep going Quad, this has to make it!
      Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
        Good progress!
        Maybe you could move the nostrils apart a bit so there is more space in between them. So far that's the only spot on the face where I think it could look better if modified a bit.

Oh and in case you want perfect symmetry, you may want to use the mirror modifier and mirror it along the axis that is currently the middle. I'm not sure how well that goes with sculpting as I never tried sculpting in Blender, but that could be the "easy way to go". Near the end of the process you could then just apply the modifier to merge both halves and add asymmetry where desired. Then again, this would mean you will have to cut your model in half and in worst case, it could be that you might have to start over.
        I've been using Symmetrize in Blender to do the job, but it probably still looks a bit off because of the light source. Thanks!

Thanks Omniety Omega!

rough pass on the legs tonight, think I'm gonna have to make them a bit less thin:
        Last edited by Quadj130; 10-02-2015, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Yes, right now they are indeed pretty thin. I also think you might have to increase their length a bit. Alternatively, it could also be the shoulder area as it looks quite narrow. Maybe try stretching that one first before experimenting with the leg lenght
          The face progressed nicely! Cutely evil.
          S l y .

Comment

Took some time to add more details to the face and trying to make it look less cute and more evil:

Last edited by Quadj130; 10-07-2015, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Who got a good design idea for the Brutes and Mercenaries and Gasbags?

Comment

I've got tons of sketches, but can I find my scanner? I'll see if I can get some pictures at least...

Comment

So on this weeks stream, Epic (Wilcox, I beleive) reiterated that Invasion is on-the-cards, and that they 'just need models'...

This is going to be awesome. As soon as my new PC is built, I'm going into monster overdrive!

Comment

I sure wish Epic could release the old Unreal monster model animations as skeletal rigs/anim sets (assuming the 3DSMax source art used skeletons to create/generate the vertex animated meshes...). I'd asked about it a few years ago for UT2k4, but the response was 'no' (I assume they either weren't available, or questions regarding legal ownership rights might have prevented their release). I have a feeling that having a base set of animations/rigs to work with would make the whole monster model creation aspect a little less daunting (it seems to me that modeling is the fun part, animating... not so much for most people...).

Comment

Originally posted by meowcatbuf View Post
                      I sure wish Epic could release the old Unreal monster model animations as skeletal rigs/anim sets (assuming the 3DSMax source art used skeletons to create/generate the vertex animated meshes...). I'd asked about it a few years ago for UT2k4, but the response was 'no' (I assume they either weren't available, or questions regarding legal ownership rights might have prevented their release). I have a feeling that having a base set of animations/rigs to work with would make the whole monster model creation aspect a little less daunting (it seems to me that modeling is the fun part, animating... not so much for most people...).
                      The original Unreal (1997) didn't use skeletal animations, it used vertex animations, which are much harder to export and preview. Essentially, If we want new monsters, we will have to build, rig and animate them ourselves.

Comment

UT3 had some very good community models for its invasion mods. As placeholders, these would work well.
                        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Slithe anyone? ANYONE?
                          "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
                          "No, why."
                          "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                            The original Unreal (1997) didn't use skeletal animations, it used vertex animations, which are much harder to export and preview. Essentially, If we want new monsters, we will have to build, rig and animate them ourselves.
                            I know they were vert meshes, but I was curious if the original models/anims had been based off of skeletal anims in the source modelling program (in much the same way Milkshape3D used(s) skeletal animations, but can export to Unreal's vertmesh format).
                            Last edited by meowcatbuf; 10-16-2015, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                              I've got tons of sketches, but can I find my scanner? I'll see if I can get some pictures at least...
                              You could just use a camera, I know its not perfect results but if you have a decent enough camera it wont be much difference from a cheap scanner
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by GGaben View Post
                                Slithe anyone? ANYONE?
                                [IMG]IMAGE[/IMG]
                                I've taken a break from modeling and moved into concept art for now to enhance my models and their UV's. I've decided to try and concept a new but relative face to the old slith model you posted here, stay tuned.
                                Last edited by Quadj130; 10-20-2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X