Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to start an argument. I just didn't see the point in sending me to a part of the same topic that hasn't been updated. I was hoping someone would get past all the "Epic is ruining UT" nonsense and actually do something with their spare time for when Epic DOES "fix the game". I shouldn't say anymore, lest I **** off some more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Waverun View Post
      I don't want to start an argument. I just didn't see the point in sending me to a part of the same topic that hasn't been updated. I was hoping someone would get past all the "Epic is ruining UT" nonsense and actually do something with their spare time for when Epic DOES "fix the game". I shouldn't say anymore, lest I **** off some more people.
      Just open your eyes, there are such people here. It is just a waste of time to update all the time the threads since the community is mostly absent anyway. Just my two cents though
      RASTE IN PEACE !
      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Well, either way, still meshes are only half of the story... Although reanimating old meshes never was my intent, in my particular case here's what stops me from further progress:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	brute_anim.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	392269

Working with anims to me is like: everyone could learn how to use pencil and paper, but not everyone could draw beautiful pictures...
        - got sig? -

Comment

Do they need to be reanimated or can the old animations be reused?
          UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Originally posted by Calypto View Post
            Do they need to be reanimated or can the old animations be reused?
            Original Unreal's meshes cannot be reused directly (well, you could do morph targets, but that's inefficient to say the least - besides, it doesn't give you modern day control over the bones, like feet following/aligning to steps/uneven terrain, separate head motion, animations blending etc).

However my point was that even with newly made meshes we still need to rig and animate them somehow (which could be whole lot of headache since every monster has its own skeleton and anims set).
            - got sig? -

Comment

I wish I could give a hand, but I don't have the required skill for it. Maybe if you have Motion Capture materials I could try some acting.

For now don't bother with smooth or well made animation, rough ones will be fine enough until someone really want to work on it. The main point is to get something working, even if it's not pretty. You just have to say it's in pre-alpha ?

Comment

You asked:
                Has anyone here done any work for the monsters?
                In a thread which is dedicated to Monsters and any work about it.

I wasn't doom and gloom about UT, I was sarcastic.
                And I explained why many people don't feel like updating their threads ...because they don't have fun updating their work for every build again and again. And some are just grumpy because they didn't got picked as the official art.
                If you want to see something done then start it your self. And stop annoying people. They don't need an encourage coach. They need a stable base to create their art.

So... be patient.

People will come back to make awesome stuff.
                ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I'd asked Flak about getting the original monster's animation files a few years ago to use in UT2k4 so that I could add ragdoll implementation as well as other skeletal control options like torso twisting (I assume that even in the old 3DS Max format the animations were probably still made using some kind of skeletal setup even if they were exported as vert anims....), but I got a negative reply (may have had to do with who owned the assets at that time).

I'm still tinkering with the idea of reanimating a monster or two for my UT2k4 mod, and would be willing to provide it for UT4, though I will probably not get to it until sometime this winter (after the weather gets bad).

Comment

rapfamily4 Fantastic job on the staff so far. Life was a bit messy so I only got to see the proto-texture update now. If you need any paintovers of it, ideas or something, just poke me, I'll make sure to check more often. I really like where it's heading. Though as a small reminder (since it was brought up on page 59), I'd refrain from using anything too close to a typical on-off switch as we know it ourselves (in our current time). Don't forget it's an alien weapon not to mention from a sci fi setting, it could be touch activated by sliding a thumb or finger over the glowing thing or maybe it's a push switch that even makes the connection to the circuit flow that's made from the enrgy source/crystal? There's a lot of possibilities and instead of going with a humanoid switch, a creative approach could look more appealing. Some kind of consistency would always be good to have with the new UT assets (at least in terms of feeling I guess).

Great to see the thread still running!
                    Was there anything left here which could need some tackling/paintovers by the way?
                    S l y .

Comment

you can use umodel for the meshes, but if i remeber rightly the invasion monsters where from ut99 which used vertex animtion,(no bones/rig), atm the easier option would be to use the ut rig and create/bodge some anims. if you have a kinect you could use that for some simple mo-cap
                      UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
                      ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Keyframing could work just fine IMO.
                        The new UT is coming along nicely...
                        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

I've keyframed all of my own skeletal player animations for my YARM UT2k4 mod's player models (and FP view and TP weapon models), its just that it takes a lot of time (and I'm not really an animator). I've extracted the .d_3d and .a_3d files from the vertex animated models, but I haven't bothered writing a utility to use the two data files to create static poses for each keyframe (which, once automated, would make recreating each keyframe pretty easy....). I've used a combination of Milkshape3D and CharacterFX (freeware now) to do all of the animating for UT2k4.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                            rapfamily4 Fantastic job on the staff so far. Life was a bit messy so I only got to see the proto-texture update now. If you need any paintovers of it, ideas or something, just poke me, I'll make sure to check more often. I really like where it's heading. Though as a small reminder (since it was brought up on page 59), I'd refrain from using anything too close to a typical on-off switch as we know it ourselves (in our current time). Don't forget it's an alien weapon not to mention from a sci fi setting, it could be touch activated by sliding a thumb or finger over the glowing thing or maybe it's a push switch that even makes the connection to the circuit flow that's made from the enrgy source/crystal? There's a lot of possibilities and instead of going with a humanoid switch, a creative approach could look more appealing. Some kind of consistency would always be good to have with the new UT assets (at least in terms of feeling I guess).

Great to see the thread still running!
                            Was there anything left here which could need some tackling/paintovers by the way?
                            Yo! Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry for being late, but my personal life was quite busy, and it will be even busier in the near future. University is coming...
                            Anyway, I appreciate your feedback, and now I take the opportunity to write I was thinking to redo the entire model once again. The current spear is not as good as it should be. I think I can do a better model, both correctly applying all the feedback I got in the past (including yours, papercoffee's, Darkloser's, etc) and solving some procedural issues I encountered.

Sly, if you want to share any paintover/concept it would be awesome! But, don't consider this as a priority: put your life first!
                            If you really want to draw something, consider papercoffee's comments about the cover around the crystal. In the mean time, I'll start the new hi-poly by my own.

-Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Hey guys! I'm a longtime Old Unreal fan and just setup my new desktop to play around with the new engine. I used to be pretty good at level design on the old engine but trying to improve my chops with the new engine.

Just wanted to post that I love the work everyone here is doing and hope I can help/support you guys however I can!

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                                I made that skin actually.

Some better shots:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                                This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Some Slith, just for fun:
                                Been awhile since this thread's seen any activity, and this isn't entirely off topic.

Recently got my hands on a UTDMW, a Warlord that can be assigned to teams in ut99.

So I took Wail's Warlord skin and team colored it:
                                Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X