Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How goes the modelling efforts so we can have a template for our Invasion? It should just need the bare minimum like in UT2004 and then add in the rest slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterman View Post
      How goes the modelling efforts so we can have a template for our Invasion? It should just need the bare minimum like in UT2004 and then add in the rest slowly.
      My new PC is having teething issues an has yet to have anything besides an OS an stress tests installed. Slow going, but soon I should have the workstation set up and ready to monster-the-hell out of this game.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the results of your productivity once everything is set up! For some reason I'm dying to see you model the Nali Cow based on the sketch you made.
        S l y .

Comment

I made a little reference board for the Slith + threw in some anatomy for the upper body for modelers:

Ok made a first attempt in Sculptris (WIP obv):
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Metalfist; 10-24-2015, 03:43 PM.
          -Fn>Metalfist
          ---------------------
          Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Oh that is a very nice start, Metalfist! Good reference you chose there too!
            To give some proper feedback, I think the eyes might have to be a bit more sunken in on the edges with the brows being more rounded, if you look at the original skin/texture.

As a small note: (At least to me) The Slith always looked like slimy beings with a rather smooth "skin", so I guess much finer scales than on Skaarj would probably suit it best.
            Last edited by Sly.; 10-24-2015, 04:16 PM.
            S l y .

Comment

I think a way to change up the Slith's behavior on land is that sometimes they'll do the classic slither on land and sometimes they'll go to the ground and slither faster like a snake with their arms used to gain speed.

Comment

I've thought of that too, Hunterman. Having more movement options for monsters would definitely be sweet. I guess first and foremost we need a model to work with to test that out (even if a cheaply rigged and animated U1 Slith placeholder model), but I'd definitely like some more (and unexpected, maybe bot difficulty-influenced) actions from invasion monsters, something that can catch me offguard rather than just walking targets.
                S l y .

Comment

So my PC has finally passed my tests and I'm ready to start doing work again. It now sits in my new home office.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                  This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

There is still a bit of work to go in order to get my workspace back up to 100%, but I was able to install UT, the Editor and... Sculptris!

So I don't have the files from my old PC available yet, so I'll have to grab the old drives and put them onto my home server so I can continue where I left off, but in the meantime, I wanted to test out my new tablet.

Just a quick hour's worth of getting used to the new tablet, I'm pretty sure I'll pick this one back up and complete it in all its Moo-ing glory.

Comment

Either you read my post, or you read my mind - I love it, it looks great!
                    I can't believe you did this in an hour, that's incredible!

I'll post some feedback anyway, I hope you don't mind.
                    The ears could need some more love by making them more narrow by the tip/extending the tip a bit as on your concept and I would suggest to lower the mouth/lips and chin a bit such as making the spot between nose and forehead a bit "rounder"/flatter, essentially make the bridge less dominant to give it a moo-re fantastic (and maybe dumber yet innocent) face. It might look too intelligent right now.
                    Just extending the nose-mouth area and dragging it a bit downwards might already do the job I think. This may even be necessary as it looks like the Nali cow would struggle eating short grass. However, this could also be the perspective of the screenshot.

Looking forward to where this will go.

If anybody needs any paintovers for monster modelling or if my descriptions are hard to understand and some sketching could visualize it better, just poke me!

PS: What tablet is this? I can't recognize it from that angle. :<
                    Last edited by Sly.; 10-26-2015, 09:42 AM.
                    S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                      I made a little reference board for the Slith + threw in some anatomy for the upper body for modelers:

Ok made a first attempt in Sculptris (WIP obv):
                      I'm really liking where this is going! This is really true to the original design, maybe make it a bit more.. 'Out there' in terms of insectoid features and bone structure. In terms of surface details (like scales, pores and bumps) should be added outside of Sculptris, as the program doesn't handle small details well. I use Zbrush for finishing up my sculpts, but there are quite a few options out there.

Sly:

Thanks for the feedback! You are pretty good at describing your vision, and I agree with you 100% when looking back at the WIP cow.

Also: the tablet is a Wacom Intuos Pro, the large version. I'm not a huge fan of Wacom, but it was the biggest tablet I could find, and I wanted a large one to scale proportionately with my new 40" screen. So far it's great, but the pen buttons are a bit flimsy, I ended up disabling them because I was frequently pressing them by accident.

Comment

I exported it out to Zbrush and continued working on it. The cleanup things you need to do to the Sculptris import was a bit annoying, so for the future I would rather start sculpting in Zbrush.

Here's an update on the Slith:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlithSculptWIP4.png
Views:	1
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	342250
                        -Fn>Metalfist
                        ---------------------
                        Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Dude, fantastic work on that Slith so far. These guys were some of the first monsters I customized for UT2004 so I have a bit of a soft spot for them. I love how faithful this is too, you see the heritage here immediately. Hopefully can get all kinds of classic enemies reimagined like this.

One note: Plans to add webbing between those spines on the head-crest and tail-crest?
                          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Really nice update on the Slith Metalfist. That is coming along nicely.

And nice rig Kazeo!
                            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                              I exported it out to Zbrush and continued working on it. The cleanup things you need to do to the Sculptris import was a bit annoying, so for the future I would rather start sculpting in Zbrush.

Here's an update on the Slith:
                              Nice job! Coming along nicely! I would say put a bit more details into the gnarly hands, make it look like the scaly flesh is stretched over the bony, reptilian hands. Also, you've done the face really well.

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                              And nice rig Kazeo!
                              Thanks!

Comment

Great stuff guys!

The last few days I've been challenging myself to come up with my own Slith concept as I am no concept artist who has very limited 2d drawing knowledge. After a few YouTube tutorials and app configuration, I did manage to come up with something that fits my "spooky creature set" theme of the Unreal monsters. I think that's what I'll call it

Comment

Working...
                                X