Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like where this thread is going. Just sayin...
    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
      One note: Plans to add webbing between those spines on the head-crest and tail-crest?
      Those will be added as well!

Meanwhile I also did a sculpt for the Manta:
      Attached Files
      -Fn>Metalfist
      ---------------------
      Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

This is so freaking exciting!!!!! The models are looking great!

Comment

This is astonishing great modelling.

@ Metalfist
          I know you for a long time now ...but wow, I didn't know you can model. And really good stuff, too.
          If I would have known this, I would have contacted you and asked if you want to model some Characters for Food Fight. *sigh*
          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
            Those will be added as well!

Meanwhile I also did a sculpt for the Manta:
            I think this a great start, and going in a decent direction.

However, I think it may be TOO faithful to the original design. The design back in 1997 was made with a vastly smaller polygon/vertex budget than what we have now. This was most likely what leat to the highly triangular shape of the monster. At the moment, it does not really look like something that could exist, The wings don't seem to have a lot of articulation and the creature does not really look like it could land... Not your fault: you are (faithfully) following the Unreal concept.

I would prefer to see it take the form of a sort of reptilian bat, or a flying-fox spliced with a snake.

See if you can re-structure the wing to look more like a bat's wing and give the creature some sort of 'landing gear' in the form of legs, or at least a long tail for snake-like locomotion.

Comment

I have to say, I'm actually rather fond of the triangular shape. I guess it's up to you to decide that.
              In one of the early posts in this thread, I posted a (quite old) Manta concept of mine, maybe you can take some inspiration for the spike at the end of its tail since the current one is pretty simple and I think it could need something else. In my version, I turned it into some sort of "jellyfish thread" whip. Maybe it could make them a bit longer and it could also use these threads to hang upside down on trees like bats?
              S l y .

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

So, I got m'Cow in a classic shade of green.

Comment

The body is great also the first colouring... but I don't think the long muzzle fits very well.
                  Can you alter the muzzle to be more flat and alien and less mammal like?
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

@KazeoHin-TechAE:
                    Thanks for the feedback! I was struggling a bit with the wings as well as they are not that logical. I was a bit concerned that if you would use bat wings that it would be too dragon like, but I'll try to adjust it and also keep the silhouette familiar.

About Nalicow:
                    Good work! I can't help but think that this Nalicow has some sort of smoking problem due to his lips.
                    The original Nalicow looks cute, but the lips just destroy that feeling. I would rather go for less of a human like mouth and more for a cow like one.
                    Or maybe a horse? Perhaps make it similar to that to give feeling that if you would pet him, his lips/nose would feel as soft as one of a horse (as I think you tried to convey in your concept art with the little hairs on his snout).

I also have the feeling that he has some problems with his feet. It feels like he isn't in balance and would easily fall back.
                    At the moment his toes look a bit like stones on his feet. Perhaps make them look more like hooves with 2 in front and one in the back to stabilize him?

As for his ears I think they should be a bit bigger and the end a bit more pointy. They don't look proportionally right with the eyes. The ears should be bigger than the eyes.
                    Also as they are nalicows I imagine that they would be hunted by other predators and they need to hear incoming threats.
                    Hope this feedback helps you a bit .

@Paper:
                    Thank you for the kind words . I modeled before in Maya, but have just now tried out/started learning sculpting in Zbrush. So these are actually my first sculpts, so I'm glad people enjoy them ^^!

@Sly:
                    I looked at your concept and used the scale pattern, but I think the threads are not really necessary. He should be able to hang himself in a tree with his tail. Or maybe he would hide in cracks of rock (and build nests)? But I also saw that you forgot(?) his tail fin and his bottom support fin from the original. The tail fin is a big one as it gives more height to the silhouette on the side view and makes him more visible and interesting. As for the tail tip I was thinking something like the Alien tail tip: http://www.propstore.com/product-images/660/127708.jpg
                    Last edited by Metalfist; 11-04-2015, 11:59 AM.
                    -Fn>Metalfist
                    ---------------------
                    Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Moooooooooo!
                      Stacey Conley
                      -----------------------------
                      Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                      Epic Games, Inc.
                      Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Oh, good point Metalfist! I indeed forgot about these two fins, memory can be a tricky thing at times.
                        As for the original concept of its "living style", I think they would have been just landing on water or the floor or just rest in cracks as you mentioned, personally I wouldn't see anything wrong with that either, just wanted to make a proposition.
                        The kind of spike you have in mind could look interesting, getting the ratio to the tail/body is going to be tricky, make sure to post WIP's of that.
                        It could also be interesting if they could dive into water as a small functionality suggestion, you know... like mantas and be still able to chase you effectively.

Kazeo, I love your cow! I think they could have more of a brown tint to them though, or maybe have random green-brown mix patterns controlled via material. Hmm, that actually sounds most interesting.

Hi Flak!
                        Last edited by Sly.; 11-04-2015, 03:23 PM.
                        S l y .

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I tried to put a bit of that into this update: Though I'm wanting the feet more to resemble an elephant's feet.

Comment

Looks awesome!
                            But why is it so dark?

Comment

Ah I should have been a little clearer. I meant that the hooves should be a bit more straight and pointing outwards. But this is also a nice direction.
                              I just made a paint over to how you how I see it. It is somewhat easier to convey my idea that way:

and there should be some eyelashes later on.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Metalfist; 11-06-2015, 03:28 PM.
                              -Fn>Metalfist
                              ---------------------

Comment

Ah! Thanks for the paint over! That makes a lot of sense, I'll see about shortening the snout a bit, as the original Nali cow had a snout much like your vision. As for the feet: I'll try to get them more bovine and less pachyderm, but that will take a bit more time.

As for the darkness: yeah, it is really dark! My new monitor is not properly calibrated and it looks fine on that screen, then once I save the captures and look at them on my other screens it's pretty dark by comparison, I'll try to fix that up a bit!

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X