Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So awesome and adorable. I want to frag people as a Warcow!
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Warcow for the win!

Comment

Sup guys

I saw this thread get called out on the UT stream and so i came on over to check it out. I've been animating in my own little corner on taunts for a while now, and Paul, you remember I said I'd be down to animate some monsters if you ever made them.. Well? Looks like you guys are making them!

Think we're still a ways out animation wise, but does anyone know the required movements for these things? Any guesses?
        something like...
        -Idle
        -walk
        -walk backwards
        -run
        -turn left
        -turn right
        -jump (?)
        -attack 1 (2, 3, 4?)
        -death 1 (2, 3, 4?)

Beyond that I'm not sure. I remember invasion honestly being pretty simple in terms of monster movements even for the 2k4 mod, so I'm going to eat my words probably but: I don't think these would be too difficult to do. My reason for saying this is once we establish what we want then it's pretty well defined and it's not a lot of guesswork. On the UT character world I've been in, I started with the wrong idle and wrong weapon hand, wrong object alignment and the list goes on.
        With this, we'd make all the rules. That SEEMS like it should be easier to me.

I can't 100% commit to anything just yet because I'm currently on the hunt for work. But this is definitely on my radar. Monsters, man.
        Keep up the good work you guys. Tag me if you need 'em moving

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
          Sup guys

I saw this thread get called out on the UT stream and so i came on over to check it out. I've been animating in my own little corner on taunts for a while now, and Paul, you remember I said I'd be down to animate some monsters if you ever made them.. Well? Looks like you guys are making them!

Think we're still a ways out animation wise, but does anyone know the required movements for these things? Any guesses?
          something like...
          -Idle
          -walk
          -walk backwards
          -run
          -turn left
          -turn right
          -jump (?)
          -attack 1 (2, 3, 4?)
          -death 1 (2, 3, 4?)

Beyond that I'm not sure. I remember invasion honestly being pretty simple in terms of monster movements even for the 2k4 mod, so I'm going to eat my words probably but: I don't think these would be too difficult to do. My reason for saying this is once we establish what we want then it's pretty well defined and it's not a lot of guesswork. On the UT character world I've been in, I started with the wrong idle and wrong weapon hand, wrong object alignment and the list goes on.
          With this, we'd make all the rules. That SEEMS like it should be easier to me.

I can't 100% commit to anything just yet because I'm currently on the hunt for work. But this is definitely on my radar. Monsters, man.
          Keep up the good work you guys. Tag me if you need 'em moving

Hey RED! Nice to see you drop by!

The original Invasion and the UT2K version used Unreal 97 monsters (and mods thereof) which had very basic animations. Though, I would imagine with things like additive animation and modern animation tools as such, there doesn't need to be TONS of animation loops. I would think that the more advanced AI patterns of the Skarj would be the most difficult to do convincingly, in contrast, the Titan really just has one steady movement speed and only two attacks. Its really up to how faithful we want these monsters to act like the original Unreal 97 monsters, versus making them a new experience and have new behavior. If Wail (or whoever ends up using these art pieces) wants the enemies to have vastly complex AI patterns, well: that means a whole lot of animations, I'm thinking!

With ragdoll physics and other physics-driven animation, Death animations aren't as important as they were in the original invasion, however some iconic monsters would be better suited to more theatrical deaths than simply slumping over limply! The smaller creatures like the larvae or slith don't necessarily need a dedicated 'die' animation, but imagine the Titan or Warlord just flopping to the ground suddenly after their HP runs out... that would be a letdown!

I worked a bit more on Mr. Cow:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I'm just about ready to put this little guy through the lowpoly process.

Comment

That's a AAA cow, congrats. Throw some basic animations and a rocket launcher on it and you have Invasion. Good luck on the low-poly!
            Last edited by Quadj130; 11-08-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Time permitting, I'm all about the unique stuff. Deaths and AI movements and all that.

Personally I wouldn't even look at the old UT 99 stuff for movement cues because as you said earlier, that was VERTEX movement. Definitely not going to get anything even resembling a good reference point for that. Probably more just:
              1. Look at the monsters and get ideas
              2. Talk with community people about what some of these should move like.

The cow for example, looks amazing. How heavy should it be? is it a big lumbering slow cow? or a fast goofy almost rabbit-type creature? The game itself is crazy fast so if the monsters will be of a threat they're probably gonna be faster than what we might normally do if it were a movie. Those can be both brainstormed and then roughed in pretty easily to go "yeah like this" or "nahhhhh thats not right"

Comment

Well if you want the vertex animations, you can just export the model from UT using WotGrealExporter and load it up in maya or something. Look in the outliner and you will see every pose they used (use the old viewport).
                That could serve as a reference if you want. You could take that as a starting point (timings, how it moves) and improve upon it.

@KazeoHin:
                Good job on the snout, it looks way better.
                The eye is different than the orginal (reptile eye), but it seems more alive now (and innocent ^^).

There is one thing though: the ears.
                It looks like they are just pulled back, not really defined. I would give it a bit more of an earlobe/curve.
                Attached Files
                -Fn>Metalfist
                ---------------------
                Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

YES!!! This looks promising now!!!

Now we need a saddle with mounted weapons ...oh ...and we need the atomic War Cow as mini-boss.
                  Last edited by papercoffee; 11-08-2015, 01:30 PM.
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Kinda odd how you decided to make the toes look more stoney.
                    Last edited by Skerion; 11-08-2015, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Just chiming in to say that you guys are doing such great work, Kazeo, Metalfist, Sly !

I like the current version much more, kazeo. I had the same issue metalfist had with the snout, now its much better and feels quite natural.
                      Im curious where you will go with your models metalfist !

It would be awesome if RED could work on some animations once the beasts are done <3 !
                      Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
                      Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

So, I'm at work after hours, waiting for the Sydney traffic to calm down: while I'm there I draw this concept:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

What do you think? A good basis or too far from the original concept?

Comment

I think that concept is a good start to a new and more creepy gasbag. I had the same idea with the eyes to randomly be scattered by size and location over the head. I think the idea of having exposed brains instead of a scalp is a good move. Things I would change:

-Much bigger arms that come from the side with shoulders
                          -Mouth more wide mouth with grimace look and less obscure nose

Comment

The gasbag is a bit of an issue. The problem with the gasbag is that it is not logical on how it would use the gasbags to fly/float/steer. It needs something that will make it believable as it would just fall down right now. Does he somehow produces gas that makes him float? Perhaps he uses this gas to shoot those plasma balls?

As for the concept I agree with Quadj130. Make the arms to the side and bigger as he will try to punch the player when he's close.
                            I like the idea of the multiple smaller eyes. It is not clear that those gasbags are gasbags and rather look like some swollen balls. Perhaps he uses more volume of his body to store gas?
                            Maybe you can make some sketches on how the gasbag would function, sketch multiple concepts and show some references you think are good?
                            I don't really want to make him look like a zombie or infected animal though.

An idea of how the gasbag might live is that it camouflages itself as a rock when it's resting.
                            -Fn>Metalfist
                            ---------------------
                            Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Hey guys!

Sorry I derped on the Fan Art section of the stream. I was getting ready to leave on vacation and I was trying to pull things together quickly. In any case, no excuses, I effed up and I'll make sure that the post was right and also give proper credit in this week's stream.

So sorry abut that.
                              Stacey Conley
                              -----------------------------
                              Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                              Epic Games, Inc.
                              Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

@Flak: Don't worry too much about it. We're all human after all .

Here's an update on the Manta:

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Metalfist; 11-09-2015, 12:39 PM.
                                -Fn>Metalfist
                                ---------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X