Surprise Character Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Surprise Character Art

I recently took up some character modeling in Blender and am attempting to recreate a character from the Unreal series for UT4. Can you guess which one?

Last edited by Quadj130; 09-15-2015, 12:51 AM.

Could be Aida?
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Nope, I'm actually redoing the face via Blender sculpting with a hi-res UV sphere. After then it should be much more apparent. I'd use zbrush but I don't have $700 right now -_-. On a side note, does anyone know a way I can get the necris male into Blender? I'd really like to have him as a benchmark for my own characters. At the least I'll open him up in the Unreal Engine and get whatever information on polycount that I can.

Comment

If you want the necris male high poly character in blender, go download the trial of zbrush, import the model provided by epic, then save the whole guy out as FBX.
        This will take a while. Multiple millions of polygons to process.

The in engine version is significantly lower. I think in the 20k range if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
          If you want the necris male high poly character in blender, go download the trial of zbrush, import the model provided by epic, then save the whole guy out as FBX.
          This will take a while. Multiple millions of polygons to process.

The in engine version is significantly lower. I think in the 20k range if I recall.
          Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can't export and import into blender sometime. Would be nice to get a confirmation on the 20k range for the in-game model. I wonder if are they triangles or quads?

This is my first attempt at sculpting in blender after a youtube tutorial and I'd like to think it went pretty well . Probably can't guess who it is still, but as I work on [some more details soon someone is bound to guess.

Comment

Necris male is 33017 triangles and 19546 verts.
            Anytime someone mentions polycount in regards to game models it will be a triangle count. All 3d geometry is broken down to triangles before rendering anyway, so when talking about performance metrics, the tricount is what's mentioned.

The real thing to keep an eye on is the vertex count though. Tri's have always been a bit of an estimation anyway.

So something like that for a similarly detailed character should be an acceptable target.

Comment

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
              Necris male is 33017 triangles and 19546 verts.
              Anytime someone mentions polycount in regards to game models it will be a triangle count. All 3d geometry is broken down to triangles before rendering anyway, so when talking about performance metrics, the tricount is what's mentioned.

The real thing to keep an eye on is the vertex count though. Tri's have always been a bit of an estimation anyway.

So something like that for a similarly detailed character should be an acceptable target.
              Thanks for the ino I'll take your word for it going into the future with my model.
              Last edited by Quadj130; 09-17-2015, 02:54 AM.

Comment

A bit more progress tonight, altered some of the face details to match the mystery character and started sculpting in the hair:

Any guesses?

Comment

Brock is my first guess. Unless I'm imagining the chiseled face with swooped back hair.

Comment

He said Unreal Series and not just UT so my guess would be Dante given the facial shape and meanwhile also due to the hair (just lacks a ponytail). Even the first shot made me think so.

EDIT: Then again, there is no beard modelled out, so it could actually be Brock too.
                    Last edited by Sly.; 09-22-2015, 08:00 AM.
                    S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                      He said Unreal Series and not just UT so my guess would be Dante given the facial shape and meanwhile also due to the hair (just lacks a ponytail). Even the first shot made me think so.

EDIT: Then again, there is no beard modelled out, so it could actually be Brock too.
                      Ding, ding, ding! Well, not totally correct "James Cavanaugh" is actually the real name of the character I'm modeling. My little secret is that I'm actually a huge U1 fanboy as well as UT99 and my clan days span all the way back to the original back when I did play in 1999 (now age 26). I always felt like the Unreal characters should have made a return in the future UT games in some form so I decided to have a go at it for UT4.

The beard and the ponytail will come Didn't want to make it too obvious
                      Last edited by Quadj130; 09-22-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X