Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do the Pangol look like?

from the Titan Pass backstory:

"For thousands of years, these stone titans stood vigilant over an impenetrable fortress of iron and stone, a focal point of the heavily defended border between the Verans and the Pangol. Liandri representatives provided both sides with advanced weaponry in return for valuable mining concessions. The few remaining Pangol now eke out a subsistence living as miners, and there are no more Verans."

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Do they look like the sculptures, basically human, or something else? Personally, I want to see more new stuff in UT. Maybe we should iterate on some ideas?

My initial thought on reading the description is they're the humans of the local planet, with the racial names being locational/governmental rather than species specific.

Comment

What Valias said.

I don't think it's beneficial to the setting to create a menagerie of alien races or factions just because. The alien races that existed in Unreal and the original Unreal Tournament played particular roles in developing the scope and flavor of the universe, adding onto that just because it's possible dilutes the uniqueness and identity of other factions. This is already problematic the way this game is shaping up, as we have the Necris have being hamfisted in the story-role that mostly-cybernetic/reanimated competitors Metal Guard (UT1) or Blood Fist (UT2) previously occupied.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
        My initial thought on reading the description is they're the humans of the local planet, with the racial names being locational/governmental rather than species specific.
        doesn't make any sense that they'd be human given that they have a cultural history that reaches back a few thousand years, but definitely they're humanoid if those sculptures are anything to go by.

Originally posted by Wail View Post
        What Valias said.

I don't think it's beneficial to the setting to create a menagerie of alien races or factions just because. The alien races that existed in Unreal and the original Unreal Tournament played particular roles in developing the scope and flavor of the universe, adding onto that just because it's possible dilutes the uniqueness and identity of other factions. This is already problematic the way this game is shaping up, as we have the Necris have being hamfisted in the story-role that mostly-cybernetic/reanimated competitors Metal Guard (UT1) or Blood Fist (UT2) previously occupied.
        can't say I agree with that all. If you include U2, there's already quite a few alien races in the canon. It's probably comparable to Mass Effect in terms of numbers of species at this point. There's no especially good reason not to add new stuff to the series, especially since they're talking about the Pangol in present tense. This is a race of aliens that currently exist in the lore, I wouldn't mind seeing a few as playable characters if we/Epic come up with something cool

Comment

Originally posted by Quotidian View Post
          can't say I agree with that all. If you include U2, there's already quite a few alien races in the canon. It's probably comparable to Mass Effect in terms of numbers of species at this point. There's no especially good reason not to add new stuff to the series, especially since they're talking about the Pangol in present tense. This is a race of aliens that currently exist in the lore, I wouldn't mind seeing a few as playable characters if we/Epic come up with something cool
          Unreal 2 was the worst offender when it comes to introducing aliens for no reason. So yeah, I'm perfectly fine turning a blind eye toward developments in the series that I see as non-constructive. Even Jim has said that Unreal 2 is non-canonical (although frankly for all of its faults, Unreal 2 is miles ahead of UT3 in virtually every respect).
          I'd rather develop the core races more (Humans, Nali, Skaarj, Necris, +Misc) than just postulate more and more. Quality over quantity, in my eyes.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Working...
          X