No announcement yet.

No more GOW models please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously. Every male was a hypermasculine meat sack and the women were either average or dainty. I wouldn't mind seeing the massive Kralls return though. They're so adorable. "For tribe!" "Frrresh meat!"
    Black... light... guides you! Ghuleh! Ghuleh!
    Arena shooter zealot since 1995. Online player since 2008.

Comment

Why remove them? Just add more variety.

Comment

We will most likely have a variety of characters different shapes and sizes. This being a UT game we will work hard to give them a UT aesthetic.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Perna View Post
          We will most likely have a variety of characters different shapes and sizes. This being a UT game we will work hard to give them a UT aesthetic.

-Chris
          Maybe you can answer this myth for me. Smaller character == smaller target?

Ever since I heard of that I have always played the smallest available character. Usually a female. UT99 was female war machine I believe that I played as the most.

Comment

In every game in the UT franchise, all characters - even the Nali War Cow - use the same exact hitbox regardless of visual size. This is why you had to aim up above the Nali War Cow's back-mounted gun in order to get a headshot (instead of aiming at the cow's actual head).

In UT then, when you say "smaller character" you actually mean "thinner" as they're actually all the same height. So while the hitbox doesn't change, there is definitely a psychological impact to felling like you can keep your crosshair on the actual model. To account for this, In UT3, we intentionally went with more "bulky" characters so that they would better fill out the actual hitbox; but even on the thinner ("smaller") UT3 characters you could still shoot them by hitting the air just around their thinner limbs because the hitbox was the same. This also meant that all characters took splash damage in exactly the same way.

So TL;DR: smaller character = smaller visual representation but not actually a smaller target.
            Jim Brown
            @EntropicDev
            Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
              In every game in the UT franchise, all characters - even the Nali War Cow - use the same exact hitbox regardless of visual size. This is why you had to aim up above the Nali War Cow's back-mounted gun in order to get a headshot (instead of aiming at the cow's actual head).

In UT then, when you say "smaller character" you actually mean "thinner" as they're actually all the same height. So while the hitbox doesn't change, there is definitely a psychological impact to felling like you can keep your crosshair on the actual model. To account for this, In UT3, we intentionally went with more "bulky" characters so that they would better fill out the actual hitbox; but even on the thinner ("smaller") UT3 characters you could still shoot them by hitting the air just around their thinner limbs because the hitbox was the same. This also meant that all characters took splash damage in exactly the same way.

So TL;DR: smaller character = smaller visual representation but not actually a smaller target.
              Woo. Solid answer. Thanks for the info.

Comment

sweet, thanks!

Comment

Will you guys lean towards making heads on every character visible from all directions? Example: Gorge v.s Rylisa.

Also, what are your planning to not give a certain race "visual disadvantage" compared to the others?

Comment

What IS the shape of the player's hitbox, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
                      What IS the shape of the player's hitbox, anyway?
                      lol, didn't you answer your own question there? hitbox

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                        lol, didn't you answer your own question there? hitbox
                        It could be a cylinder or capsule, or form-fitting. Also, a box could be aligned with the global axes or the player's rotation.

Comment

I dont see much wrong with models like this
                          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post

I dont see much wrong with models like this
                            Neither do I, I actually really like her suit
                            I've personally never played Gears of War so I'm judging from screenshots and google pics, and characters do resemble UT2k3 Juggernauts and UT3 warriors a bit. They look okay to me, but a bit monotonic, so I'd say include them as addition to set of others, like UT2k3 so good variety

Comment

Originally posted by Skippy_Doe View Post
                              As the title suggests...get rid of the clunky Gears of War models\skins.
                              That was the beauty of UT99 and 2k4, tons of unique skins.
                              Amen to that. Id like to see more originality as well. At the same time its okay to have some of the characters we love.
                              Last edited by d33p_Sky; 06-29-2014, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Steroid infused humans with ridiculously thick necks are not cool to look at. Think the boxers or track and field physique works better inside UT instead of the NFL linebacks look.

Comment

Working...
                                X