Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is everything so skinny in this installment of ut. are going with fashion trends?

Comment

Wow, seriously. Really seriously. Frankly, I miss the days when design Unreal Tournament was a bit extravagant. This adds a lot of fun. But then came Unreal Tournament 3 ... Beautiful, but somehow boring. I love a so crazy and cool details, but don't you think that the UT starts to lose its "face"?

In any case, it's a great job. It is a pity that you do not set up robots from UT 2004 or approximately such this:

Attached Files

Comment

Coole Artworks und WIP ich finde alle neuen Chars in UT sollten ab min Lvl 10 freigeschaltet werden nur die Skins für die Chars so wie bei dem Skaarj Trooper können höher oder gar in Challenges gewonnen werden.

Nice Work Gooba Chris and YemYam

Comment

It's somehow gotten even uglier in the transition to 3D. Do you people just not 'get' the importance of having something to rest your eyes on is, or even care about the idea of it being a piece of mining equipment? Or is it that you're fine with it looking likea formless scarecrow, like, I dunno, EVERY next gen robot has suddenly become?

You somehow made the head even uglier. Props to screwing up THIS badly.

Comment

Thanks for voicing your opinion Gebloner. I know you are passionate about this subject and you are welcome to voice your disapproval but there is no need to be rude about it.

I saw your Xan design and understand where your design sensibilities are coming from. You should get somebody to model it so we can have a variety of styles in the game.
            Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
            Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
            Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

yep looks terrible too fregile and real

Comment

@ YemYam
                Where is the spine?
                The naked robo frame has a spine but the actual robot is missing it... I see only the hydraulics and cables but nothing what could support the weight.
                And you should consider to make the spine thicker or give the frame some more supporting hydraulics.

Edit:
                I forgot to mention ...I like how the upper torso looks sturdy. The protection of the back is plausible. The fragile lower part with the baggy-pants effect not that much.
                Last edited by papercoffee; 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM. Reason: typo
                ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I Hope Robots come in the next Year in the first Quatal for UT

Comment

I had the spine in there but took it out right before I kicked renders to see how it looked. I agree that it needs to be filled back in. A lot of these articulation and animation issues will be worked out when I create the proto mesh and work with a rigger & animator to get it in game. We will then revisit the 60% complete work in progress model.

Also, as I have stated many times this is one of three styles. If you don't like this style wait until you see the other two before you lose all hope. They will each have a unique look and style to them. Or make your own, that's the fun of open development - everybody is welcome to contribute actual work not just critiques to the process.

Lastly, if you want to contribute to this thread give constructive feedback on how we can make what we have better. Saying you don't like something and here's how I think you can make it better is a productive use of your time. Saying you don't like it and we should start doing something completely different is a waste of your and everybody reading this threads time. Don't waste time. Be constructive (positive or negative) and productive.
                    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

In my opinion these renders are very good, I like the execution of putting the fantastic concept art into 3D. I can't comprehend Gebloner and Riddicks postings and think you've done a great job so far, YemYam Excited to see more!

Phase 1 is supposed to be weak, utilitary, not military. So you can complain about fragility if the armored and weaponed models look the same in my opinion.
                      Great modelling there. I especially love the head. The robot itself does look "standardized" like a robot coming from stock but hey- it's the base phase 1 model. The human skeletons don't show much personality either, if you just look at the bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gebloner View Post
                        It's somehow gotten even uglier in the transition to 3D. Do you people just not 'get' the importance of having something to rest your eyes on is, or even care about the idea of it being a piece of mining equipment? Or is it that you're fine with it looking likea formless scarecrow, like, I dunno, EVERY next gen robot has suddenly become?

You somehow made the head even uglier. Props to screwing up THIS badly.
                        Thanks for the constructive feedback. ...................................................................
                        Last edited by JoshuaMarlow; 12-16-2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                          Thanks for voicing your opinion Gebloner. I know you are passionate about this subject and you are welcome to voice your disapproval but there is no need to be rude about it.

I saw your Xan design and understand where your design sensibilities are coming from. You should get somebody to model it so we can have a variety of styles in the game.
                          I hope you realize this is a challenge for me to do this myself, right? Because I'm MORE THAN WILLING AND CAPABLE to go through with that project if you are truly sincere towards that. I wasn't going to simply for the fact it held nobody's interest, but if you insist, I'll gladly push this one through!

Originally posted by JoshuaMarlow View Post
                          Thanks for the constructive feedback. Please mock your ideal head up in photoshop or 3d and lets compare.
                          Okay i guess this IS a challenge to step forward. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Comment

Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you come up with

Comment

Gebloner already did a concept for Xan. It's a simple, cartoony and exaggerated design. Very anime and "cutsey" vs real world influenced. It's understandable that his ideas would clash with this version as his tastes are on the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately for him the art direction of UT (and EVERY next gen robot) is not to his liking which seems to be the cause of frustration in his posts.

Here is his version of Xan:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ll=1#post97767

As you can tell by our Flickr page the art direction and style of UT4 is considerably different:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unrealtournament/

With that said, there are some good ideas in his concept but without somebody to model it and bring it into the real world it's hard to tell.

The art style of UT4 is fairly established now and we have a ton of concepts, renders and screenshots that illustrate what that style is. If it's not your cup of tea I don't know what to tell you and no wall of text is going to change anything.

Comment

The belly pipe looks more prominent than on the concept, it looks fragile...
                                Should be more like the concept :

I'm also not sure about the green lights on the torso. Other characters doesn't have lights on them.
                                Otherwise, good job !
                                I just hope Xan (if he's from this faction) will have a more spécific and intimidating look...

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                                Is this one 60% done aswell ? Then he's clearly too thin and not ready for combat. He doesn't even look like a mining robot, more like a home assistant...
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by toninus; 12-16-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X