Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That isn't a separate robot, that is the internals of the robot. The mechanical skeleton like a human skeleton.

I agree about the tubes and torso, next batch of renders will have that fixed.

Xan will be unique from all three designs ... an evolved form of Phase III robots, the ones designed from the ground up to be the most ruthless and lethal tournament fighters. He will definitely be more menacing, chunkier, armored, etc.
    Last edited by YemYam; 12-16-2015, 07:08 PM.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
      Thanks for voicing your opinion Gebloner. I know you are passionate about this subject and you are welcome to voice your disapproval but there is no need to be rude about it.

I saw your Xan design and understand where your design sensibilities are coming from. You should get somebody to model it so we can have a variety of styles in the game.

Are the entire art team former politicians or something? I am genuinely impressed with your guys' ability to keep your cool when people are insulting your hard work.

Anyway, on to the actual topic:

I really like the "skeleton". I can imagine that being left behind after being zapped with a link beam.

When the bot is in its "t-pose", the silhouette looks vaguely female, with how the hips kind of give an hourglass effect. However, when the bot is holding a gun as though he would in game, it looks just fine.

I really like the "pod" on the back, it gives character. The concept art shows sort of a cross bar handle on the back of its head, but the model doesnt have it (yet). IMO that needs to come back for the sake of giving character to the silhouette of the head. Even if it doesnt totally match up with the other human heads, the hurt box is still contained within a capsule, so it wont give any negatives, only positives.

Like other people said, the pelvic "bone" does look like a skater / gangster with its pants sagging too low, which has been addressed above. My suggestion is that you should remember that the hips / glutes are associated in humans with power and athleticism and health, and having a tiny / thin pelvis looks a little weak. You can make it a little thicker, but My personal recommendation is to also make it ANGLED, so as to give it some more character. Imagine it angled along the same line as the pistons right above it. Sharp angles = tough.

Also, like someone said above, the legs do look a little chicken-y. Not only the feet, but also how skinny they are. I know someone is going to chime in with how robots dont have the same power -> density ratio that humans have, but the skinny legs would make it harder to see while darting around like a flea in game. Which brings me to my next point...

I KNOW y'all brought up how your boy here kept nagging about colors, even when its so early on and colors are so easily changed, but when youre looking for a color scheme, just keep in mind how freakin difficult it is to see people in this game already.... Dark green does look cooler, but gosh dang I can just see that being so hard to see in game right now. I know someone on the team is also working on how to make the characters more easy to see in the future, but... yeah. Black obviously looks cool, but holy cow that will be hard to see. That's why I brought up shiny brass:

You could keep the carbon fiber black bits already, and brass would be so easy to see.

And speaking of things that only i've been harping on and nobody else: I still really think it would be a good idea to give it a "visor" type eyeline (like axon above) isntead of the big center eye. Everyone can go ahead and bash ol' erik here for being a nag, but there are reason why this "robot" has big biceps and a protruding chest: humans associate these features with looking strong, therefore intimidating, and therefore impressive and cool. Eyes are another thing that's hard wired into us (PUN INTENDED). Okay, I'm done with these topics for now, I've said my piece.

But yeah, overall I think the WIP looks like it has a lot of promise, and is pretty cool already. "lot of promise" is what someone usually says when something sucks and youre just trying to be nice, but nah I actually think it looks good. That extra 35% will go a long way into being able to leave an impression when we see him jumping around in game, and that last 5% im sure will look drool worthy at the character select screen on Epic settings. Thanks for not banning me, and I look forward to seeing more!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-16-2015, 07:25 PM.
      ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
      Frag video featuring Rookie
      Frag video featuring Phantaci
      Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Hey YemYam, I do like how you started, but maybe gooba can do some paintovers, if they are supposed to be some industrial robots, he can maybe draw armor on them, like metal scrap on legs which feel really thin compared to chest area, also needs abit stronger arms.

In other words, some metal scrapyard for armor would be nice to trow around arms and legs, to make them look cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
          When the bot is in its "t-pose", the silhouette looks vaguely female, with how the hips kind of give an hourglass effect.
          This is actually quite important. Thats why making belly part of the robot narrow can make him subconciously feel femine and make harder projecting on him masculine traits like physical strength.

Thats just my theory though. This could also have something with robot being subconciously interpreted as skeleton.
          Unofficial Enforcer Model
          Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Maybe it is female? We have always had both in UT. See what you wanna see - hear what you wanna hear.
            Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
            Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

Work in progress phase i bot
              60% complete proto mesh

there will be three main robot
              designs each with their own
              unique style and upgrade paths.

phase i - industral (in progress 60%)
              weakest - utilitarian design

phase ii - upgraded (coming soon)
              stronger - improved armor & ai

phase iii - combat (coming soon)
              strongest - engineered for victory

Comment

Maybe it is female? We have always had both in UT. See what you wanna see - hear what you wanna hear.
                My point was rather: "If you want players to project masculine traits on your robot do not give it femmine shapes"

Femine shapes are for traits like subtelity or agility (Enigma from UT2k4) but if you make your robot look like skeleton, then you won't get those either.

On the side... tell me if i'm wrong but aren't most examples of badass skeletons those who are not having skeletal silhouette?

Edit:
                Just google "badass skeleton". Most images are skeletons in armor/clothes/cloaks. Coincidence? I think not!
                Last edited by Fartuess; 12-16-2015, 08:47 PM.
                Unofficial Enforcer Model
                Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Looking good! Solid start though I feel a few things could be tweaked here and there. It's feeling a little top-heavy at the moment.

Here's some suggestions and things I noticed.
                  This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Can't wait to see more on this!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lol well shoot, you got me there. Hell, maybe it would be a worthwhile idea to take some of Mangley's line draw-overs like narrowing the belly from the side profile, thickening the legs and hips a little bit, pulling in the pod on the back, and call it a "fem-bot"? That way, "phase 1" could be a female, "phase 2" could be a male, and "phase 3" can be whatever kind of crazy battle contraption that can be rigged up to a skeleton haha I dunno.

I still cant quite grasp the purpose behind the whole three phase thing here. I can't see why time should be invested into "weak" and "strong" tiers instead of just only the sickest designs across the board. But hey, it's not like the art director has to explain himself to little ol' me. You all seem pretty convinced on the concept, so I guess it will make sense when we see them all together. Do what you guys are gonna do, at least it's nice to know it's coming along.
                    Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-17-2015, 12:01 AM.

Comment

The quality is definitely there, though there are a few things that vary from the concept im not sold on, The legs look alot more streamline than i was picturing, in the concept the thighs looked more squared off and heavy duty. But yeah everyone else has addressed most of what id suggest, backplate is too chunky, the front pipe looks like its going to the wrong spot. But i mostly dont like how the upper silhouette looks identical to Tayes. Sure its going to be metal, but the shoulders coming out of the torso like that just looks way to human. This entire body shape seems to be a trend as well, i understand you have to make it work with the skeleton, but the skeleton doesn't have to fit inside the mesh like a humans for it to work properly, just look at previous titles where you had genmokai/skaarj/juggs with completely different body shapes, all using the same rigs as regular humans. Being a robot, soft bone weights should be minimal anyways so Your rigger has a pretty easy job already, so bring those arms out of the body, and the legs up and out to the side, give him some work to do. Or give it to me after your done and ill make it work. Sorry for such a negative post, like i said the quality is there, but even with all the pipes/pistons it still looks like its just going to blend into the same shape as every other char at 10m when all the graphics filters/lods kick in.
                      My Contributions - misc concept art.
                      Taye Skins - Skin Downloads

Comment

Gebloner already did a concept for Xan. It's a simple, cartoony and exaggerated design. Very anime and "cutsey" vs real world influenced. It's understandable that his ideas would clash with this version as his tastes are on the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately for him the art direction of UT (and EVERY next gen robot) is not to his liking which seems to be the cause of frustration in his posts.

With that said, there are some good ideas in his concept but without somebody to model it and bring it into the real world it's hard to tell.

The art style of UT4 is fairly established now and we have a ton of concepts, renders and screenshots that illustrate what that style is. If it's not your cup of tea I don't know what to tell you and no wall of text is going to change anything.
                        FYI that Xan is from a good while ago. I was planning to bring the proportions into a stable point once there was an established body to go by. It's from over a year ago by now, I was explicitly hoping to get some sort of feedback beyond 'too anime' (apparently exaggeration of proportion and large open spaces for color and decals to rest is anime idk) but none ever showed up. I really never thought anyone would care if I made it or not.

I'm also getting the distinct impression that you think I can't do any modelling. I mean, it's not like i've ever shown anything here, but Here you go, a batch of stuff I've done over the past 2 years. If you legitimately WANT me to go forward with making the thing, I'm more than capable. But first, I'm going to do what I said and build up a restructure of that head. It needs character, and it simply has none in it's current form.
                        (the 'jaw' area does look nice, atleast)
                        Last edited by Gebloner; 12-17-2015, 12:57 AM.

Comment

^^ lol cmon dude, I think a bunch of grown men with full time jobs at their dream company have better things to do than pick an e-fight with a random ill-mannered forum poster. you can model ANYTHING you want on your own terms. We're not their boss, they don't have to do every thing we say. Theyre gonna do what theyre gonna do, and you can do what you wanna do.

Comment

^^ lol cmon dude, I think a bunch of grown men with full time jobs at their dream company have better things to do than pick an e-fight with a random ill-mannered forum poster. you can model ANYTHING you want on your own terms. We're not their boss, they don't have to do every thing we say. Theyre gonna do what theyre gonna do, and you can do what you wanna do.
                            Excuse me I said CHALLENGE ACCEPTED that means I gotta do the thing

Comment

but the character models don't twist in the game anyway
                              They do for about 40-45 degrees. Spectate a bit and you'll see it.
                              "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                              - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by Gebloner View Post
                                It's somehow gotten even uglier in the transition to 3D. Do you people just not 'get' the importance of having something to rest your eyes on is, or even care about the idea of it being a piece of mining equipment? Or is it that you're fine with it looking likea formless scarecrow, like, I dunno, EVERY next gen robot has suddenly become?

You somehow made the head even uglier. Props to screwing up THIS badly.
                                What is the point of making a completely hostile, negative post towards Epic in these forums?? They are kindly showing early prerelease work expecting to get constructive feedback. You have some (potentially) constructive info in there but unfortunately you wrapped it in a huge steaming pile.
                                Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Working...
                                X