X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    ho... lee.... cow....

*catches breath* whew boy, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor from that pic. Too bad it isnt for UT!!

Anyway, once this cursed 4.11 build is out, I'm sure we'll all have plenty to look forward to with the new art assets between the robots and the Chill set. IMHO, the current UT4 weapons are easily the best looking weapons in the entire series, so I'm looking forward to how the robots turn out as well ^__^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RZE View Post
    The WIP is currently in our development branch. He will NOT be in the next build. If you don't see us mention it in the patch notes or a UT Dev explicitly say something is coming don't assume it will make it to the public release branch.

Just want to clear up any potential upcoming confusion that your post might have caused.
    I see, thanks. (but too bad).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's a concept by Furio Tedeschi https://www.artstation.com/artist/furio and has nothing to do with UT. Unless you are just posting as inspiration?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by e1vp View Post
    Found it with google. Looks like Necro-Skaarj-Robot hybrid

I've had this pic in my inspiration folder for a while. From what I've seen, the direction really feels like it could fit in UT. Good breakup of read vs detail. Not quite threatening though?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Found it with google. Looks like Necro-Skaarj-Robot hybrid

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post

As you can tell by our Flickr page the art direction and style of UT4 is considerably different:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unrealtournament/

With that said, there are some good ideas in his concept but without somebody to model it and bring it into the real world it's hard to tell.

The art style of UT4 is fairly established now and we have a ton of concepts, renders and screenshots that illustrate what that style is. If it's not your cup of tea I don't know what to tell you and no wall of text is going to change anything.
    AAWWWWWWWW MAAAN.
    I hadn't seen those shots before. I've now got a massive artistic ***** for UT4. We can totally do some awesome stuff with that aesthetic.
    DAMMIT I hate that I was contracted and had to come off this for so long! I've missed so much development. I really wish we had a design bible or something for those coming on. Trying to catch up and read through the threads is hurting my face.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Looks like the new build will have a WIP robot, which surprises me! Should be interesting...
    The WIP is currently in our development branch. He will NOT be in the next build. If you don't see us mention it in the patch notes or a UT Dev explicitly say something is coming don't assume it will make it to the public release branch.

Just want to clear up any potential upcoming confusion that your post might have caused.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks like the new build will have a WIP robot, which surprises me! Should be interesting...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
    You need to do a little reading and catch up with the thread here, homeboy! Youre paraphrasing what a bunch of us said from the beginning, and then youre basically QUOTING what the devs said like 4 pages back. That's why theyre skipping "tier 1" of bots and going straight to "tier 2" out of 3. My guess is that building a class-A kill bot will tie into the level progression system, offline challenges, and the marketplace, but that remains to be seen. In any case, the devs are way ahead of you, and we'll just have to see coming up (hopefully) soon.
    Haha well *****, I'm glad I wasn't alone. Yeah, maybe I should read through a whole thread first before getting all down and dirty. It would really help if people updated their 1st thread posts to save some people making the same mistake lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Forge View Post
    As much as i like the "weak stonger strongest" hierarchy, i don't think it fits UT?

I know this is an Epic dev decision and will ultimately go through, but I feel like we're just setting up for a class of robots no-one wants. I can't imagine many people are going to look at that model of the base robot and say "I want to play as that".
    You need to do a little reading and catch up with the thread here, homeboy! Youre paraphrasing what a bunch of us said from the beginning, and then youre basically QUOTING what the devs said like 4 pages back. That's why theyre skipping "tier 1" of bots and going straight to "tier 2" out of 3. My guess is that building a class-A kill bot will tie into the level progression system, offline challenges, and the marketplace, but that remains to be seen. In any case, the devs are way ahead of you, and we'll just have to see coming up (hopefully) soon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As much as i like the "weak stonger strongest" hierarchy, i don't think it fits UT?
    Considering UT has always traditionally been a level playing-field, why define that some robots are more armoured than others? Or more designed for combat? Ultimately it will make no sense in-game since they will be equally as efficient. We may as well have dudes in their jocks vs fully-armoured Necris.

I know this is an Epic dev decision and will ultimately go through, but I feel like we're just setting up for a class of robots no-one wants. I can't imagine many people are going to look at that model of the base robot and say "I want to play as that". Similarly, what's the use of having a robot that looks like it could take a rocket when it is ultimately as weak as a bot with no armour?
    The bots in UT3 were unique and ultimately at the same armour level as everybody else. Why not, instead of hierarchy, we have clans or different brands or something? That way we could vary the visual language a little, and instead of giving players "good-better-best" (where they'll most likely always choose "best"), we give them variety and personality.

My other strife is that throughout the history of UT, nobody really looks like they should be running as fast as they are. To me this always added a degree of "kid fantasy" level ridiculousness. A lot of them looked like they should run about as fast as Marcus Fenix.
    Where's the enabling armour? Jump pistons? Booster rockets? Some of these things in the designs might make the speeds a little more believable. Right now I feel like we have dudes in trendy futuristic shirts and pants.
    I always wanted to feel like the speed in the game had a reason, and you really were controlling some super-advanced super-agile warrior. Right now though, it feels a little more like magic boots.

It's probably too late in development to bring some of that stuff up, but that's my two cents. Pull me up if you disagree.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You don't know how to give explaination which would satisfy everybody? Leave minor hints and make it ambigous. People will find explainations which satisfy them most

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To be honest...yeah, ambiguity FTW. That's part of what set the original Star Wars trilogy and The Force Awakens apart from the prequels.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
    He's the leader of The Corrupt, Liandri's robot team in the tournament. His original model led the AI uprising on LBX-7683.
    ... or rumoured to be robotized (or just wearing super advance power armor) Jerl Liandri aka Owner of Liandri corporation. Depends if you preffer UT'99 explaination or UT2k4. Both have fans. Personally i prefer ambiguity and mystery coming from UT'99 approach. Imo good concept needs to capture this ambiguity well to satisfy both sides.

@Forge
    In Classic UT games (UT'99, UT2k3/4) there were three robot factions. Two of them were teams owned by Xan himself. Both of those were quite far from standard way of concepting robots. I did some overview at beggining of the topic. Liandri strongest were pretty much War Machine (UT'99) and The Corrupt (UT2k4). Summed up in one sentence War Machine vibe was raw metal mockery of human race. In The Corrupt many members were influenced by art deco which is quite unique for robots and potentially worth exploring.

Most generic robot concepts people create fits best into Blood Fists team which was not owned by Liandri but composed from renegade ai's of various comercial battle robots.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the input guys, super helpful!
    I can understand the whole foot thing, and will certainly pay more attention to giving the bots a "sturdy" feel.

Thanks for the input too, Yemyam. I thought there'd be base bipedal restrictions but didn't know how much legroom we had here, so thanks for clearing that up.

Any critique on shapes/ aesthetic would be great, too! Are any of these close to a potential direction for the "strongest" class?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X