Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay like yeah I'll admit I was rediculously way too harsh. This hasn't exactly been a good month so I'll take that much back.

I still want to do the thing though because I am legitimately interested in seeing what I can do to push the robotic stuff. It's what I enjoy and I need a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
      They do for about 40-45 degrees. Spectate a bit and you'll see it.
      Yeah actually after I made that post, I was thinking about conditions in which the torso would contort - when theyre wall running and look around, but mainly when it goes into ragdoll mode after either dying, or feigning death. I wonder how the torso is going to behave under those conditions when there are two pistons that only seem to move back and forth attaching the hips to the ribcage region. Maybe make a left/right swivel or something? Then it would have its own set of entirely new rules or something, which is giving me a headache just thinking about it.....

Originally posted by Gebloner View Post
      okay like yeah I'll admit I was rediculously way too harsh. This hasn't exactly been a good month so I'll take that much back.

I still want to do the thing though because I am legitimately interested in seeing what I can do to push the robotic stuff. It's what I enjoy and I need a challenge.

Yayyy, tangible community contributions are always welcome!!
      Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-17-2015, 04:28 AM.
      ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
      Frag video featuring Rookie
      Frag video featuring Phantaci
      Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

My guess would be a joint above pistons, or having these move asynchronously - shrinking on one side and expanding on another.
        Last edited by _Lynx; 12-17-2015, 04:45 AM.
        "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
        - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by Kingaz View Post
          so bring those arms out of the body, and the legs up and out to the side
          Please no. That would just look awkward.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I hope your not getting the wrong idea henrik, either way i did a quick mock up to show more what i mean, legs may be a little awkward put on the side now with how wide that plate is atm, but ive slimmed him all down to fit it a little better, Its mainly so his outline varies from a human more.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
            Attached Files
            My Contributions - misc concept art.
            Taye Skins - Skin Downloads

Comment

Yeah that's alright.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

it should look more like RoboCain from robocop 2:

Comment

Well, UT is now in a realistic direction, let me give you guys a few tips:
                  1) Hydraulic pipes should be protected, not in plain view.
                  2) The abdomen part - just awful. She looks fragile and extremely unreliable.
                  3) The legs should be thicker and stronger.
                  4) The front should be armor, but not the inner parts.
                  5) The glowing part on his chest - your robot runs on plutonium?
                  Last edited by Mad IVIax; 12-17-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad IVIax View Post
                    Well, UT is now in a realistic direction, let me give you a few tips:
                    1) Hydraulic pipes should be protected, not in plain view.
                    2) The abdomen part - just awful. She looks fragile and extremely unreliable.
                    3) The legs should be thicker and stronger.
                    4) The front should be armor, but not the inner parts.
                    5) The glowing part on his chest - your robot runs on plutonium?
                    good feedback man, characters are too skinny, you'd think a mining robot is still a ton stronger than a human and working in outer space, with wide open crucial life support parts is nonsense. definitely parts like vision center and pipes would be shielded from even small rock impacts, that can be devestating at high speeds on asteroid mine etc.

Comment

Hey, there's some good feedback in here but I'd encourage a few of you to think about what you say before posting. Our participation here is largely dictated by you guys. No one directs Pete to post here and interact with you guys. He does so because he wants to and enjoys a creative process that includes lots of constructive feedback.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

I might do a paint over later, if I find the time, but I really feel like there's a too much going on and not enough of it seems to have any purpose. It's shapes for the sake of shapes. That said, if it's all primarily about cool shapes, I'd like too see more of a Vitaly Bulgarov influence in there. He somehow manages to make things look cool without things getting too noisy. Probably because it's all just booleaned stuff out of a relatively simple basic geometric shape.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                        Last edited by Quotidian; 12-18-2015, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                          WIP phase 1 bot... 60% complete proto mesh :

Just saw the update and all I can say is that I like where your going with these Really nice start !
                          Stevie's corner
                          My UT4 maps
                          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Current silhouette:

Not sure if those holes are attractive.

Also model looks less menacing than concept. Here are differences i noticed:
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Fartuess; 12-17-2015, 02:32 PM.
                            Unofficial Enforcer Model
                            Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Sadly, this mesh went through some big changes compared to the concept, which are making it look kind of wrong and uninspiring in my opinion. The legs, the head, even the glowy something in the chest instead of the hidden mechanical stuff (it's a tier 1 mining bot!) which makes it look like it has a machine in the chest and that's making it look menacing. The middle cable and even the yellow frame, which looked really quite simple and industrial, which was a good thing.
                              Last edited by Spector CZ; 12-17-2015, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I agree with all of the feedback and crits!

I apologize, I probably showed too soon. Work in progress renders obviously cause too much confusion & agitation. I'll wait until I'm much further along before I show any more updates.

Also, it would probably be better if I have the other two robot styles fairly well developed so people understand the contrast of the three styles and what we are shooting for with the robots as a faction.

I'll still give everybody a chance to critique my work before I finalize everything but showing this early is counter productive.

Thanks for all of the comments, see you guys next year!
                                Last edited by YemYam; 12-17-2015, 03:16 PM.
                                Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                                Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                                Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Working...
                                X