This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    I agree with all of the feedback and crits!

I apologize, I probably showed too soon. Work in progress renders obviously cause too much confusion & agitation. I'll wait until I'm much further along before I show any more updates.

Also, it would probably be better if I have the other two robot styles fairly well developed so people understand the contrast of the three styles and what we are shooting for with the robots as a faction.

I'll still give everybody a chance to critique my work before I finalize everything but showing this early is counter productive.

Thanks for all of the comments, see you guys next year!
    I would have loved to have followed the work in progress in more detail but seeing what has transpired in this thread, I totally understand. Looking forward to seeing your work next year!
    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Most of us understand what WIP means. And some of us have also tried to do concepts and models before and faced at least as much backlash as you guys. This is why I'm a bit put off when you guys say stuff like "if you don't like it, make your own". We're in the same boat, more than you realize.

Another reason I shy away from doing more character concepting is that some people already probably think I'm trying to be some hero of the project trying to horn in on several different jobs. That isn't the case, and I'd be more than happy to just be able to give meaningful feedback on your work and that's what I'm trying to do. So hopefully my tendency for bluntness has not added to your stress over this.

GL with it.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I agree with all of the feedback and crits!

I apologize, I probably showed too soon. Work in progress renders obviously cause too much confusion & agitation. I'll wait until I'm much further along before I show any more updates.

Also, it would probably be better if I have the other two robot styles fairly well developed so people understand the contrast of the three styles and what we are shooting for with the robots as a faction.

I'll still give everybody a chance to critique my work before I finalize everything but showing this early is counter productive.

Thanks for all of the comments, see you guys next year!

*sigh* yeah, I'm kind of sorry for nagging and complaining so much throughout the thread. It's just that this three phase thing is something most or all of us have never encountered before, so it's causing mass confusion as to where this is going, and what feedback should be given. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this will work, and I figure it's going to be tied into the store somehow, like maybe we get a frame and then buy parts packs or something?? I dunno...

Anyway, you guys on the art team seem pretty convinced about the big picture, so I'm guessing we will just have to see in the long run. Hopefully we get a better idea in a few weeks so we can actually help in constructive way. Thanks for putting up with us in the meantime!!
        Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-17-2015, 05:29 PM.
        ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
        Frag video featuring Rookie
        Frag video featuring Phantaci
        Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

I think the lack of gender is pretty much linked to the swappable parts feature. It's pretty much like you only have a nude thing (kind of a "template"), and then by putting parts/armors you'll shape something that match what you want, like a chestplate with huge breasts (I'm exaggerating a little) to be sure that everybody will think it's a girl and lost their focus... or something like that.
          Isn't this what they're actually aiming ? Give something mostly "blank" so people can than add their idea for armors, pilosity etc... ?

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
            Yeah I feel kind of bad too, mainly because I feel like you actually value the feedback you get here. I think the modularity idea you mentioned on stream is pretty cool. If we can swap out the chest, hips/legs, and head with other models then I'm pretty sure you could make everyone happy.

My least favorite thing about the model right now is the ambiguity in the gender. If I made a humanoid robot, it would have a gender, even if it doesn't need one. Siri has a gender, cortana has a gender, the "terminator" has a gender. I don't see the point in making it ambiguous, other than maybe trying to get away with not making both a male and female version, which imo is not desirable.
            Personally, I'm tired of gendered robots. Most voice nav systems and assistants do have a selectable gender even if they default to one or another. In no small part because their entire purpose is to interact with humans in a vocal manner and we respond well to our own sounds.

But for mining machines? Why. Its a tool. Its like painting a hammer pink and going "It's a Girl!" (yes I know this actually is a thing being marketed, and I still think its ridiculous.)

I get the gendering of bots in prior UT games, for one, they're not just converted equipment, but are built for show (ut2k3), or for promotion of a less lethal line of home robotics (UC2). I'd still rather see more gender neutral bots, or at least gendered bots expressing their "gender" in some way other than having metal breasts and curved hips.

Been there. Done that. I, for one, appreciate the early sneak peek. It helps refine my ideas and ways to contribute.

Comment

Guys calm down... it is my fault :P
              Unofficial Enforcer Model
              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Ich hoffe nur die Roboter kommen nicht wieder mit challenges ins Spiel Grundmodell so alles andere kann meinetwegegen mit Challenges kommen z.B Skins
                Last edited by Frostbite83; 12-20-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                  Guys calm down... it is my fault :P
                  No no ...it's clearly my fault... ...what was the subject again?
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

@papercoffee

I was criticizing and was answered by 4 Epic team members this week

The subject is: we wait till YemYam posts next update of his progress. Seems like things we point out are known or will be irrelevant after making more progress anyway.

Meanwhile, do you want some tea or coffee?
                    Unofficial Enforcer Model
                    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
                      Yeah, there's a bit of diaper-walker going on. I think it's because the pelvis isn't tall enough, definitely gonna work that out.
                      I actually get abit of that from all the characters, their legs just seem kinda short and you can see the pelvis is inline with the Taye characters there for the most part.

To the renders, Im not sure I like the military green for this phase robot, I think an industrial yellow or red would be much more fitting, brighter colours tend to be used as a safety measure for visibility, ofcoarse this hasnt got the team skins on it yet so the blue/red might help it stand out more but I think its worth considering for the DM version.

The back seems really bulky in comparison to the other characters, compared to the Gorge Im working on not so much so Im not sure where I stand there. Perhaps if I saw it without just the plating and whats underneath it could be a good middle ground. It does add to the overall strength of the structure and that would be important from an industrial stand point.

I think what might help is we knew how they were being used for mining operations, if we understood their purpose more then the form could follow that, thats more what industrial design is about, its not about making things look pretty because form follows function more heavily than with civil design. I could see them perhaps being alittle bit like I Robot where they perform different tasks but it seems like Liandri would use them for more than just medial tasks, things like welding, lifting impact hammers etc

Overall I think the head, neck and the middle of the chest are great. The details in the hands are awesome and the appendages overall seem strong, Im with other people on the weaker torso and think that the more lightweight version could even be in phase 2 rather than adding armour it could be removed from the industrial form

Amazing modelling there YemYam, I wish I could knock up mecchy bits as quickly as you do I wonder if you have any pointers I could use for Gorge.
                      Last edited by MonsOlympus; 12-21-2015, 06:12 AM.
                      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

The concept art looks very nice.
                        There's something that I saw, in fallout 4 with their robots, instead of only the outside they also showed the parts that work inside b/c those enemies in the game also break apart. Maybe something like that?
                        So you got the Tier 1 robots that do mining and dangerous industrial work, the tier 2 which are probably in between with new parts and the tier 3 robots that are meant to be better in combat than some species (human,skaarj, etc.). I would assume that during the in-game battles they wouldn't break apart really easily, but when they die you would be able to see the insides of the robots.

Comment

This is actually a really good starting point for the weakest robot design. The exposed internals and lightweight frame, makes it look and feel in that tier. I also like how you can see it has upgrade potential, with modular parts. By the time the robot is upgraded to tier 3, the strongest, I'd love to see all the strong armour on there and a badass facial plating, it'll have more of that legendary 'UT Corrupt' look by then.

'Gender' details can probably be offloaded to swappable surface plating on the same frame model, if you're going to do a feminine and masculine version. There are ways to make a robot aesthetically more feminine or masculine without pushing the human anatomy on it too much, maybe with just subtle hints of detail.

The mechanical articulations around the waist look great, I'm sure it'll be more solid/protected in the tier 3 models. I think some people are mistaking this as the tier 3 model when it isn't. The attention to detail is really good. Can't wait to see how this will progress. Great work Pete and team!

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                          There is no OFFICIAL lore thread yet, but I'll probably start one soon. We're rallying around a central idea, and hope to have something to present in the new year, maybe sooner.
                          Sounds really good, even if it is a lore reboot of some sort, as long as it's cohesive.
                          Last edited by OMNIETY OMEGA; 12-23-2015, 09:44 PM.
                          Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

One user expressed how he disliked the robot and several Epic employees made a comment about it, as if it was a big deal. Why not just ignore it?
                            Last edited by 3Dmatic; 12-29-2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                              One user expressed how he disliked the robot and several Epic employees made a comment about it, as if it was a big deal. Why not just ignore it?
                              Cause then we'd get mad at them for ignoring us. Such is the nature of community feedback.

Really though, when an artist works really hard on something and puts loads of effort into planning / executing an idea using your physical skills, you take it personal when people just take a dump on it. And rightfully so. That's why I TRY and be cordial with my feedback, it's the right thing to do...
                              ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                              Frag video featuring Rookie
                              Frag video featuring Phantaci
                              Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

I think it would be really sweet if we used Cathode and Enigma (I think those were the names) again in this game. They were feminine by design, and I think going with the sort of subtle art approach with how strong the engine is now could make something beautiful that would still feel robotic, and of course deadly. Could be cool to explore that anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X