• Show
Clear All

• replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de ecrã 2016-01-27, às 14.41.33.png
Views:	1
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	344331

I was playing UT99 and noticed that robot. Not bad.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very cool concepts Forge. I like the personality you get from non-human proportions but unfortunately that is one of our biggest restraints and challenges with the robot faction. They have to adhere to the existing human bipedal skeleton so they can share the same rig and animations as the other characters. Someday we might have a few custom animations for each faction but they will always share the majority of base animation cycles and therefore must match very closely to the existing animation skeleton.

With that said it's always possible to take the spirit of a concept and try to maintain it as much as possible while satisfying the technical and gameplay requirements. This is always the most challenging part of our job, make it look as cool as the concept while making it work in game!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Hooded part could be some kind of flexible protection ...Kevlar or something like that.
    I like all the body designs but only the feet from 3 and 6. The other feet are not convincing enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Love the hoodie-like head of #2. I would give him lower torso of #7 and legs of #6 and I would love to play him

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some cool stuff but I'm distracted by the leg proportions on all but the last one. I think I like 4 and 6 best, 4 is cool in some way because of its squareness, feels broad and powerful. But I prefer the more solid feet of 6 to the "hoof" look of every other one.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^^ I really only see 1, 3, and 4 working in the context of UT. the other ones are fine and dandy, but for a different sci fi universe. 2 would work if you swapped heads with 6.

Theyre pretty good for being greyscale low-detail sketches, but the big interest grabbers usually come from both the fine details and the overall character. They look like they function, but I wanna see them be FATAL with laser precision and unfeeling quickness. I wanna see them and think they could take a tank shell in the chest and keep coming at me!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    More concepts, still on the "strongest" class, although I guess some of these could be used for the other classes.
    Just aesthetic and shape exploration. Still no strong brief on the Liandri visual language, so hopefully we can narrow that down eventually. Until then, tell me what you think! What best suites the game and why?

Someone above mentioned clothing on the robots...although serving little practical use, I liked the idea and gave it a shot. Maybe some are part of fighter clans?

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BhaaL View Post
    Why do I see an EVA there? You can (not) win.
    Hahah yeah, I was looking at a little Evangelion before I started on it. Those things look so freakin' mean!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Blue team edition:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Why do I see an EVA there? You can (not) win.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
    There's a much more recent version available:
    That orange one is pretty badass, and fits well with the concept on the first page. I dig those shapes, and it feels very‚Äč functional. Great stuff!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you! I've always loved the universe but was never one to read up on it, so that passage really helped. He sounds like he would be a total badass to design. I wonder if this UT is getting an SP mode?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    He's the leader of The Corrupt, Liandri's robot team in the tournament. His original model led the AI uprising on LBX-7683.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Forge View Post
    Firstly, who the heck is Xan? I'm a little bit of a lore n00b....I just consider this as a concept for the robot faction "strongest" class.
    This is really good especially if you don't know who Xan Kriegor is. He was the final boss in Unreal Tournament 1999 and he was one of the bosses of Unreal Tournament 2004. In UT99 when you get all the way to the end of the Tournament and have to fight him on his space ship 1v1 Deathmatch for the first time it was terrifying because he was unique and no one else in the game was like him. His taunts, his voice, his fighting style; He was with out a doubt a Champion.
    Keep up the good work!

~
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mad IVIax View Post
    _Plague_
    Once upon a time, there is a redesign of the head, which looks great. In any event, the designer need explanatory 3d.

But profeccional 3D designer will not work for nothing. Therefore, at the Epic few people who could translate user arts in life. A designers among fans leave because their work is ignored.
    This is really awesome design if you ask me. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the awesome input guys! This is just a super rough initial design, so there's more coming, but i'll address what's been said on it, since there's some great points.

Firstly, who the heck is Xan? I'm a little bit of a lore n00b....I just consider this as a concept for the robot faction "strongest" class.
    The visor design does seem a little boring, true....the thinking behind it was that a bot made for battle wouldn't have components like sensors etc. out in the open to be shot. In future iterations I'll try to make it more interesting though.
    The spoiler was an afterthought....just a thing to help with sillhouette. I don't intend on making it standard throughout my concepts.
    The colour-scheme was also quickly put together to reflect the "sporty" feel. It might look better with battle damage and wear. Future colour-schemes will be made to fit the colour combos I think UT4 is going for.
    Someone asked about speed....this took an hour or two? Can't remember. In terms of a "rendered final" concept, this is quickly done and quite rough.

I'll keep concepting, and start really exploring the design possibilities. Thanks for the super input guys, keep it coming!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X