This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
    Cause then we'd get mad at them for ignoring us. Such is the nature of community feedback.

Really though, when an artist works really hard on something and puts loads of effort into planning / executing an idea using your physical skills, you take it personal when people just take a dump on it. And rightfully so. That's why I TRY and be cordial with my feedback, it's the right thing to do...
    Yeah but this is why hiding things away in a community focused development system doesnt work, if we had been able to crit it sooner then YemYam might have been able to make adjustment through out the process instead of just working in a bubble. That said YemYam is the best when it comes to sharing his work in progress so I dont want to take from that and if more time was spent keeping the community in the loop then it takes away from production so it really is a catch-22. I just hope Epic realises there is a world of UT players out there that arnt on this forum, just like Epic might not have a whole lot of time for this forum neither do they
    Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Cause then we'd get mad at them for ignoring us. Such is the nature of community feedback.

Really though, when an artist works really hard on something and puts loads of effort into planning / executing an idea using your physical skills, you take it personal when people just take a dump on it. And rightfully so. That's why I TRY and be cordial with my feedback, it's the right thing to do...
      The way I see it, because we've seen similar cases in other threads, it seems to be more like "say you like it or don't post". And it's obvious that several users have stopped expressing their opinions on stuff they don't like , afraid that they will lose points, a thread might get closed or a user might get banned.

Comment

I've been working on a Bio Rifle design for two months. Even though my work is not professional, I received a lot of feedback, until one month. I'm working really hard, but no one is giving me anymore, both negative and positive feedback on my concept arts. I repeat that my concepts are not as good as many others in this forum, but I would like to know what I have to improve.

This comment could appear inappropriate, mostly because I shouldn't expect any comment capriciously (even though I'd like to see a more bilateral work), but I just wanted to show my current situation.

-Luigi Rapetta
        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
        Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

The trick is to throw in a "this is nice" or a "not bad" or a "good for starters" or something like this somewhere, and then go to what sucks about the thing we're giving feedback on and why it sucks, using words like "The X could use some work", "X looks out of place; I know why you'd want to put it, it looks cool/sounds great in theory/feels like it should be there/tempting for whatever reason, but how you did it should probably be changed, IMO", "I agree that X could be awesome, but that Y is in the way. Maybe think of a different way of doing it?"
          Be honest, as honest as possible, but be careful. Your crits should show some form of enthusiasm, a will for them to improve. Don't say "No", say "Yes, but...", or at least "Not exactly" or "Wait a minute...". Otherwise, you won't get your goals.
          The way I see it, one of the worst things you can do to a person is to do nothing but cheer and applaud at a work that you know is flawed. That hinders progress. That strands people in mediocrity. That will give them the illusion of superiority, make them oblivious of their weaknesses, make them unaware of problems in what they do that should and could be solved. Doing that alone will lead to no good. But people don't like having all the faults in things they do smacked at their face. It lowers their self-esteem, a lot in the worse cases. They'll get aggressive. They'll try to make you out as wrong in some way. That's not because they're ********. It's because they're humans. That might've happened to you already plenty of times. So be gentle. You shouldn't go "You're not really great at all! You actually suck, and here's why!", you should go "Hey, here's how you can improve". That's how you tell people there's something wrong and have them cooperate and fix it.
          The new UT is coming along nicely...
          Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Can you please link to the thread? I'd love to help.
            Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
              Can you please link to the thread? I'd love to help.
              https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Design)/page2

-Luigi Rapetta
              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
              Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                ... very well said words ...
                Well put and I can relate. When someone dedicates many hours of their time and becomes invested in something, they can be sensitive to criticism if it's harsh, even if it's constructive. Many people don't really understand that, and can often come off as being very negative.

Whenever someone posts a new frag movie, I try to compliment the things that they've done well before suggesting things that could have been changed for the better to improve the movie as a whole, knowing that they will be more open to my suggestions if they feel like I at least appreciate to positive things they did.

At the same time, if one of my own movies were criticized even in a negative way, I'd try to find the substance in that criticism regardless, even though it can be a tough pill to swallow. However, with that said, if you are seeking acknowledgement of your criticism, don't expect to get it if your comments are just all negative.

Having an idea, and executing an idea are completely different. When you are 100% negative in your criticism, it shows a lack of understanding and appreciation for something you likely couldn't do yourself. If you could, you probably wouldn't be posting about changes you want, you would be making the changes yourself.

(this response is not aimed at anyone in particular, just my 2 cents about the criticism on these forums as a whole)
                NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                My movies on YouTube:
                UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
                , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
                UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

Originally posted by blytpls View Post
                  I think it would be really sweet if we used Cathode and Enigma (I think those were the names) again in this game. They were feminine by design, and I think going with the sort of subtle art approach with how strong the engine is now could make something beautiful that would still feel robotic, and of course deadly. Could be cool to explore that anyway.

Yeah perhaps youre right, but several devs in this thread mentioned that this is "phase 1" of three different "phases", and they heavily imply that we will all like the direction once we see the big picture. They MIGHT be right, it MIGHT all make sense in the future when we see everything together. I'll come back and quote my own post when that happens.

But right now, I'm still confused as to why there is even a "phase 1" to begin with. Why spend time making a puny bot that lacks excitement? Why not just go for the awesomeness straight away? Heck if I know, I guess we'll see in due time when we get more info....

Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^ View Post
                  Whenever someone posts a new frag movie, I try to compliment the things that they've done well before suggesting things that could have been changed for the better to improve the movie as a whole, knowing that they will be more open to my suggestions if they feel like I at least appreciate to positive things they did.
                  Yeah this is pretty much referred to as a "compliment sandwich". Say something nice, say something not nice, then finish with something nice again. It makes criticism easier to take, and makes the receiver more likely to listen to you hahaha.
                  ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                  Frag video featuring Rookie
                  Frag video featuring Phantaci
                  Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

It doesn't matter what you do or what you say. A lot of people have a tendency to see things under a negative light, desperately trying to find microbes in every corner. When a user makes a comment, we should focus on the information provided, not on the tone. We have hundreds of users trying to create content, unpaid and they desperately need feedback to work on their stuff because they don't have a art director to tell them - it's good, it's a a pass or oh no! that's the wrong direction. Try this instead. And then we have this thread that has already 6 pages of feedback, one user posts a more or less rude feedback that could have been easily ignored and it became a big thing. It's a bit absurd.
                    Last edited by 3Dmatic; 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

^^ hehe very good points. I think the reason this happens is because everyone who is playing the game has their own idea about priority - what needs to be fixed RIGHT NOW, and what can wait a little longer. When the devs make an official announcement, everyone dogpiles on it because it may not meet their own ideas about what needs to be done ASAP.

This is in contrast to other dedicated people here (Wail, henrikryosa, etc) who are doing their own thing, but often they just get well-wishes and not much more because theres little faith that what theyre working on will reflect in the final product. Unfortunately, that's just the way of things right now. Personally, I'd like to see some of Wail's weapon ideas reflected in the standard gunplay, and the rest in a glorious Chaos UT mod or something. But that's just me.

Anyway, to get back on track with what this thread actually is, let's all look forward to upcoming sneak previews in the next few weeks (I hope), and maybe we can all get on board with the art direction of the robots. Crossin' muh fingers!!
                      Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-31-2015, 11:23 AM.
                      ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                      Frag video featuring Rookie
                      Frag video featuring Phantaci
                      Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

The thing is that it is awesome. It doesn't lack excitement. It's just not your style. It's not my style either, but I can see plenty of coolness in what they're doing. I would do it differently, but I can really see what people would like in it.

Comment

Couldn't find this concept the other day. So here it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                            Couldn't find this concept the other day. So here it is.

Is that for Destiny?

The faceplate and general style of the character seem quite Destiny. The blood and bullet casings, on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by blytpls View Post
                              I think it would be really sweet if we used Cathode and Enigma (I think those were the names) again in this game. They were feminine by design, and I think going with the sort of subtle art approach with how strong the engine is now could make something beautiful that would still feel robotic, and of course deadly. Could be cool to explore that anyway.
                              I think the issue is that there were so many different robot designs in the past, Epic seems to be focusing on the original UT style more terminator styled robots. With UT2004 there were the Gynoids which almost seemed like they were made by the corrupt themselves as a type of infiltration android similar to terminator with the skin but in UC2 Devastation (my fav of the Gynoids) was made by liandri as the pinnacle of robotics, basically it was showing more of a consumer side of the robotics industry like I Robot.

This is why I believe lore is so important and have been a strong supporter of it from the get go, I know not everything needs a huge thick back story but having some idea of how the universe functions from an overall viewpoing makes it easier to make meaningful additions. These robots seem to represent the kind of plebs of the robot lore in UT, theyre not Xan, theyre not Automatons, they are the original Corrupt perhaps even before the Corruption.

My favourite robots were from UT2004, Axon, Syzgy but I did like one of the skins from the original UT (Vector if I remember rightly), I liked that they ended up looking more industrial in that game and that the game overall had a heavy industry feel with all the rust, metal and brick the music only helped to accentuate that with the heavy guitar riffs mixed with the trip hop. UT3 was kinda different, it had the industrial themes and I enjoyed being able to build my own robot but I wasnt happy with the more Asian themes, not because I thought they were out of place but because they felt forced and less authentic, I guess from the Izanagi standpoint it works but going back to lore not alot of that was explained in any depth.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This isnt that far off Xan, with a green skin it would start coming closer inline, there are some cool parts from UT3 as well so I hope that the robots get a look in from the community as well as Epic since everyone seems to have their preference. Im personally wanting to do a new spin on Devastation once Im finished with Gorge to mix it up and show abit of diversity in my modelling ability. Id love to perhaps port a few bits and pieces from previous games and try abit of constructabot too but I really need feedback to make sure I build what the community wants
                              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 01-03-2016, 03:17 AM.
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	syzygy_by_aberiu-d7pf2uw.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	751.4 KB
ID:	343651

Here is a very nice concept of Syzgy from Aberiu (everybody forget it :'()

Comment

Working...
                                X