This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that for Destiny?

The faceplate and general style of the character seem quite Destiny. The blood and bullet casings, on the other hand...
    It is indeed an art (maybe even a concept art) of one of the playable race from Destiny (the exo).

I agree with MonsOlympus, the art and design were so different from one game to another that it's difficult to know which direction you should aim. And to be honest, I have a hard time to know which part of the lore/timeline Epic is aiming, and what art direction they're aiming exactly. And we should also what should be on the "base" model, and what should be a cosmetic/part addition.
    I tried to read as much as I can about the previous lore, Epic message abot their goal, and see a lot of concept art, design, portfolio etc... and even if I might begin to see where we're going, it still difficult to truly know in all this mess that is the Unreal universe (An awesome mess I'll always be a fan of).

Here is a very nice concept of Syzgy from Aberiu (everybody forget it :'()
    I did not, and I really like it, but I'm not certain it is what Epic's have in mind for their official robot faction.

Comment

This is a reboot. Pretty much everything post-2341 is out the window, and even some of that. Being honest, it's probably for the best, since as you said, the timeline and art direction from game to game is an inconsistent mess.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzi View Post

Here is a very nice concept of Syzgy from Aberiu (everybody forget it :'()

Lol, i say good luck to the devs if they want to please everyone. That example above is a prime example of what i would describe as "Please make sure it does NOT look like this! Please no manga/transformer sh*t-looks". I think the concept in the very first post in this thread was really good for what it was supposed to represent. Having three differently looking robot types is genius imo.
        Every model doesnt have to look like a menacing dangerous evil type of thing. Some people want to play like something else than an evil/dangerous looking thing. That is good imo. It brings variety and in total appeals to a larger group of people.
        Heck i remember playing against warcows and Naali and thinking it was incredibly pleasing to have that variety at hand.

Comment

Yeah thats a great one by Aberiu, my personal fav of theirs

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ll=1#post58816

There is this one as well which really captures the original warmachine style well, it does remind me abit of Crysis tbh though
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
            This is a reboot. Pretty much everything post-2341 is out the window, and even some of that. Being honest, it's probably for the best, since as you said, the timeline and art direction from game to game is an inconsistent mess.
            So that means it is before UT99 if I'm not mistaken ? So the Tournament was just founded by the Liandri corporation... I'll keep that in mind when judging about any future official concept.

Originally posted by Gurkburken View Post
            Every model doesnt have to look like a menacing dangerous evil type of thing. Some people want to play like something else than an evil/dangerous looking thing. That is good imo. It brings variety and in total appeals to a larger group of people.
            Heck i remember playing against warcows and Naali and thinking it was incredibly pleasing to have that variety at hand.
            Not everything is truly "evil", but they sure are menacing. It is the legalization of violence to become a blood combat sport featuring the most dangerous warriors of the galaxy, you won't bring a Hello kitty or Teletubbies into that kind of thing... Even the Warcow got an agressive look. So I think they should all keep something "dangerous" in them, just in a different manner depending on how they express it (a psychopath will not display it the same manner as a military trained unit).

Comment

No, 2341 is UT99. "Now it is 2341. 50 years have passed since the founding of deathmatch."

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                No, 2341 is UT99. "Now it is 2341. 50 years have passed since the founding of deathmatch."
                Wasn't it what I just said ? That UT4 is before UT99 ? When the Liandri just started to legalize blood sport and violence with the Tournament ?

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                  The way I see it, because we've seen similar cases in other threads, it seems to be more like "say you like it or don't post". And it's obvious that several users have stopped expressing their opinions on stuff they don't like , afraid that they will lose points, a thread might get closed or a user might get banned.
                  Pretty much. Small feedback is ok, but criticizng design direction more broadly results in "you can't please everybody". And since community is not part of brainstorming process anymore, concepts can miss the mark by mile sometimes thus broad criticizing is not that surprising. At least it wasn't because it was shutted down in last months. We had ****storms in shock rifle and flak cannon threads but since it was brainstorming trying to understand what is an essence of given weapon it ended up in concepts incorporating core design traits and keeping the identity of original while looking fresh. Necris thread for the other hand was keeping community out of the creative process and showing them finished concept. And since it was so far from community vision of this faction it didn't served as base for feedback very well. People couldn't suggest minor changes to catch identity better if concepts starting point was waaay off. They had to figure out new base on their own but as far as i remember not many people out there were good at drawing besides Mangley. Now Epic keeps community out of creative process because of Necris thread ****storm caused by keeping community out of creative process O_o

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
                  ^^ hehe very good points. I think the reason this happens is because everyone who is playing the game has their own idea about priority - what needs to be fixed RIGHT NOW, and what can wait a little longer. When the devs make an official announcement, everyone dogpiles on it because it may not meet their own ideas about what needs to be done ASAP.
                  Thats why good starting point is so essential. It should be close enough so people with different priorities doesn't have to pull so strong to have their priorities satisfied. It worked before.

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
                  This is in contrast to other dedicated people here (Wail, henrikryosa, etc) who are doing their own thing, but often they just get well-wishes and not much more because theres little faith that what theyre working on will reflect in the final product. Unfortunately, that's just the way of things right now. Personally, I'd like to see some of Wail's weapon ideas reflected in the standard gunplay, and the rest in a glorious Chaos UT mod or something. But that's just me.
                  Wail seems to understand essence of Unreal Universe. However Epic seems to not care much about what he says

Originally posted by Gurkburken View Post
                  ...That example above is a prime example of what i would describe as "Please make sure it does NOT look like this! Please no manga/transformer sh*t-looks".
                  Well cartoonish look is part of Aberiu style, not delibrate part of ideas he wants to share through his sketches. Throw away this stylization, add some grunge and this concept would fit quite well. This concept has good shapes and details and thats what is important in concept sketches.

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                  I think the issue is that there were so many different robot designs in the past, Epic seems to be focusing on the original UT style more terminator styled robots. With UT2004 there were the Gynoids which almost seemed like they were made by the corrupt themselves as a type of infiltration android similar to terminator with the skin but in UC2 Devastation (my fav of the Gynoids) was made by liandri as the pinnacle of robotics, basically it was showing more of a consumer side of the robotics industry like I Robot.
                  Unreal has few robot archetype factions and in my opinion they all can fit into the new UT after minor tweaks. Well... maybe besides UT3 robots... they were just dull :P

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                  ...but I wasnt happy with the more Asian themes, not because I thought they were out of place but because they felt forced and less authentic...
                  Thats because they didn't fit into the essence of UT. Someone made a diagram showing off UT level themes and asian one fit literally nowhere. Pretty much exactly like UT2k3 egyptian high-tech theme. UT levels have certain vibe and traits. You can add quite weird stuff into the UT levels as long as it captures the soul and essence. And from the other hand quite toned down and logical stuff like asian theme can feel out of place. Pretty much because UT levels outside industrial/low s-f have to be a bit out of place to not feel out of place. Such is the essence of UT :P

And now another ******* post from me :/ I can't use sandwitching technique. Just making mess in YemYams threads while he is actually the most community cooperative guy out there ;_;
                  Last edited by Fartuess; 01-03-2016, 03:21 PM.
                  Unofficial Enforcer Model
                  Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                    Wasn't it what I just said ? That UT4 is before UT99 ? When the Liandri just started to legalize blood sport and violence with the Tournament ?
                    I'm saying UT4 takes place in 2341. It is the same tournament as the one in UT99, thus "reboot".

Comment

Ho... I think the "and even some of that" confused me. My bad.

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                      Thats because they didn't fit into the essence of UT. Someone made a diagram showing off UT level themes and asian one fit literally nowhere. Pretty much exactly like UT2k3 egyptian high-tech theme. UT levels have certain vibe and traits. You can add quite weird stuff into the UT levels as long as it captures the soul and essence. And from the other hand quite toned down and logical stuff like asian theme can feel out of place. Pretty much because UT levels outside industrial/low s-f have to be a bit out of place to not feel out of place. Such is the essence of UT :P
                      The question is what truly is Unreal essence ? With so much differences beetwen the different iteration of Unreal Tournament, everybody have a different idea of what UT should look like. So what can we keep as a clear common ground for everybody ?
                      Maybe all the factions and races can fit in the new UT, but it is clear that some of them will need a lot of rework and changes to really fit and blend in the universe.
                      Mr.Crow come back !

Comment

Well... To understand Unreal essence take U1, UT'99, throw away U2, dunno with UT2k3, take UT2k4, throw away UC2 and throw away UT3. The rule of thumb is to keep games where space castles fit into the game and throw away where they don't .

Wail made nice analysis of "what is unreal" and why some titles failed to grasp it but link seems to stop working.

Some people can understand what is essence of Unreal in different ways, but after brainstorming we can figure out some core traits distinguishing Unreal from your other s-f shooter universe (like space castes i mentioned earlier :3 )

Comment

Well... To understand Unreal essence take U1, UT'99, throw away U2, dunno with UT2k3, take UT2k4, throw away UC2 and throw away UT3. The rule of thumb is to keep games where space castles fit into the game and throw away where they don't .

Wail made nice analysis of "what is unreal" and why some titles failed to grasp it but link seems to stop working.

Some people can understand what is essence of Unreal in different ways, but after brainstorming we can figure out some core traits distinguishing Unreal from your other s-f shooter universe (like space castes i mentioned earlier :3 )
                          I don't think it is that simple. If you search in the right direction there's surely things you can keep in each game. But people have apprecied different games, which led to most of the disappointments and disagreements on the threads. While I would enjoy to see more of the first UT theme come back, there's also things from the other games I would like to see implemented.

And **** I would like to see this analysis ! :c

Comment

I'm broadly oversimplifying for humoristic purposes - every Unreal incarnation had some good ideas worth keeping. But there is difference between elements you want to keep (like Juggernauts team for example) and unique soul of Unreal universe. Imao mentioned games had strong, mysterious soul easily distinguishable from other s-f universes while others were less unique. You can take parts you like from both and make them to hold the soul of the first group (or at least don't work aganist it).

Epic declared their art direction as "clean and sporty" but it doesn't mean that there will be no more space castles. Changes with art direction doesn't mean the soul is lost. Shock Rifle and Flak Cannon are examples of this case. Grabbing the soul is not an easy task though. Thats why we have to figure it out together.

Comment

Wail seems to understand essence of Unreal Universe. However Epic seems to not care much about what he says
                              Everyone has their own idea of what UT should be, some of us are obviously more planted in UT being an extension of Unreal proper where others like UT99 as a stand alone title with only light ties to Unreal at best. Then you got your UC fans, Vehicle fans, UT has really grown into a universe so I hope Epic can pull off what Marvel and DC do with their comic multi-verses and get them all back on the same page. It'd great if Unreal started to spawn spinoffs again like it did with UT

Well cartoonish look is part of Aberiu style, not delibrate part of ideas he wants to share through his sketches. Throw away this stylization, add some grunge and this concept would fit quite well. This concept has good shapes and details and thats what is important in concept sketches.
                              Im glad you can see the concept for what its worth, not everyone is a materials expert especially in 2d and you know whats important to get this concept to model. Once painted in PBR with yellow paint and metal scratches this would really pop out and be much more realistic than people realise. Its not "that" manga flavoured in all honesty, its much more western than the original with most of the magna style purely being nods to the original concept, I honestly think it has a nice industrial feel to it because of the colouring and the X pattern on the panels. It looks like it could actually take a rocket hit to the body.

Unreal has few robot archetype factions and in my opinion they all can fit into the new UT after minor tweaks. Well... maybe besides UT3 robots... they were just dull :P
                              I agree in part but there were a few parts I liked from UT3, mainly that the robot parts didnt fit together so well and had baggy pants or guts for some unknown reason, or the flimsy mid-section. I dont think the approach on a whole is bad, its much the same as whats mentioned about Aberius concept, with the better materials in PBR the robots would look better just off the bat.

And now another ******* post from me :/ I can't use sandwitching technique. Just making mess in YemYams threads while he is actually the most community cooperative guy out there ;_;
                              I like the Asian theme but it needs to be brought inline with the rest of UT, I like the whole high tech tokyo shopping mall kinda vibe Coret in UT3 had, perhaps not for that map but I think it works and is a great nod to Cyberpunk. Shangri-la had potential, it almost captured this dreamy otherworldly escapism that the original Unreal had but it felt dull in colours, it really needed to be more vivid like a lucid dream so I do think there is a place for the theme in the Unreal Universe it just needs to coalesce that the overall vision is the important one that other UTs have mainly neglected.

UC2 on the other hand since it was a heavy SP orientated game as well as MP had this flow through the environments, the high-tech Nakhti one being way better than the more traditional Egyptian maps in the original UC and UT2k3. I think the Egyptian theme has worked better for UT in the past than the Persian style of UT3, Sandstorm could have been a huge Pyramid that simply appears from the storm like a mirage. I like that the Nakhti city is kinda like this rich Oasis of culture where the outskirts are ruinous deserts, I really hope people explore the actual planets in Unreal instead of just making a cool map layout then throwing a theme at it, I like it when a level has an actual setting

And you made me go offtopic, how dare you....

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

If you look at this compared to Aberius concept you can immediately see how much better theirs is, these robots had these odd wide stances but they did have the Liandri Hammers.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This made them seem functional, that they were used for mining so even if there isnt an actual usable weapon perhaps designing the impact hammer in tandem with the robots would be a good idea to get that sense of their function. Industrial robots probably do welding, heavy lifting, even grinding down the rock with drills and jacks, they might not need a high level of dexterity if the tools are designed for easy use by the robots. If you compare Aberius hand to the Phase 1 for eg, you can see theirs looks stronger and more rugged.
                              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 01-04-2016, 12:54 AM.
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

#robothighgap

Comment

Working...
                                X