This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Agreed, looks really rad and as the first concept was a 'Type 1' you could actually add more to him to become T2 and T3s. although T1s have been terminated.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This concept as blood fists base - ok. This as Xan? No way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^^ Xan is Xan, and I don't really see that as Xan. I DO think it's really neat looking though. I could see that as an UT4 version for the Blood Fist faction from UT2004, no problem!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by codexe View Post
    After I've seen the new design created by Gooba and YemYam I got a new idea for Xan. I really liked the proportions of the UT2K4 robots, but like the new robot design as well, so this concept is a combo of both.

I LOVE THIS ONE!!! I like the fan/reactor shoulders and I noticed that you used and adapted the torso of Gooba's concept in a successful approach!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A this is your Creation yes?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After I've seen the new design created by Gooba and YemYam I got a new idea for Xan. I really liked the proportions of the UT2K4 robots, but like the new robot design as well, so this concept is a combo of both.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14_small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	666.3 KB
ID:	344300
    Last edited by codexe; 01-25-2016, 03:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I really enjoy the concepts you've posted thus far Yam. I'm a big fan of the robot faction throughout the franchise, and (I may be in the minority here) I did like UT3 Matrix even though it was more... bubbly. I guess I've always preferred gender neutral robots, since all the menacing ones/terminator/kill all humans themed robots are very masculine. Good luck pleasing the masses, just wanted to say I've liked what you posted thus far!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like the like the base robot from Pete and Goob

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So basically I start with a normal car, and by playing I unlock stuff to tune and customize it ?

So I still think something closer to the "skeleton" would make the process more enjoyable. You can then put whatever chassis or parts you want on it, like a toy or a LEGO for exemple.
    Actually you're doing a system similar to what UT3 had no ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The idea was never to have a 'weak' robot but to design all of our characters in such a way that they have room to grow, to become more bad-*** over time via progression, unlocks or whatever avenue(s) that are decided on.

We still want our base characters to be cool, look tough and be menacing but to not start out with all the possible bells and whistles.

I really like the base robot Pete and Goob came up with, we're just trying to refine it some. Until it's done it's all work in progress.

Hope that makes sense. Please keep checking in.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    We decided that nobody wanted a "weak version robot" so we are going straight to something that looks stronger/meaner and has a more recognizable face. It won't be Xan or the top of the line bot but we are ditching the bottom end phase 1 bot. So we will still have a progression of coolness but we are starting the process with something less lame.
    The "weak" version robot wasn't a bad idea in the first place, especially lore wise. It would be neat to see some robots mining in the background, or being mass produced, or even as an enemy in invasion mod (who said it should only be against monsters ?). The thing is you rather presented it as the player character, were most of the players surely expected something more... tough and menacing. All the previous incarnation of UT had robots which looked impressive, or had some kind of charisma (which is surely a plus when you put them in a kind of gladiator show) and unique expressions. Xan is just the epitome of that idea, which is probably why he's so unique and one of the "main" character of UT along with Malcom and possibly Gorge.

Anyway I still enjoy to see the quality of Epic work, whatever the result.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We decided that nobody wanted a "weak version robot" so we are going straight to something that looks stronger/meaner and has a more recognizable face. It won't be Xan or the top of the line bot but we are ditching the bottom end phase 1 bot. So we will still have a progression of coolness but we are starting the process with something less lame.
    cool to hear

Leave a comment:

• replied
    O_O part of me feels bad for dumping on your guys' hard work and plans, but I'm glad y'all are gonna bring the nastiness and held keep that "cool factor" that UT had in the past, and needs to keep in the future if you want to be popular with your target demographic (and beyond)!

I'm still interested in this whole "progresssion" theme. I'm kind of thinking it'll be tied in to level unlocks or something. Maybe we buy a frame from the store, and unlock bits through level progression? And it has to be specifically while playing AS the robot? Street Fighter 4 had "player points" accross the persons whole account, and "battle points" for each specific character. Maybe that would help exposure to different characters if people HAD to play as them to unlock extra bits. I dunno, just thinking out loud. In any case, it sounds intriguing.

It's okay if we don't have Xan right off the bat. In fact, I would find it amusing if NOBODY could access him through normal means, and he could only be unlocked by winning a big important tournament XD and aaawww, I dont think the original bot was "lame", not by any standard! I just didnt think it was right for a badass arena FPS, is all :S

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I did :/ totally loved the robot concept and your modelling. But oh well.. just blow me away with another one^^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    haha, ok. Good plan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X