Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You got me excited here YemYam ! Will have to be patient however, but I suppose the wait will be worth !
    Good luck with your work.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
      Hello all, based on internal team feedback and all of your comments in this thread we have decided to do a major overhaul on the bot design. Therefore, it will be a bit before I have something to share again.
      Oh... you've got me ...interested *ruffle the white cat's fur* ...proceed.
      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
        This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I really like this one, there are some great more classic robot concepts around on the forum and I believe they could be taken further to great affect.
        That is awesome. Would love to see this with more color, like red, orange, green, or gold lines on it's body.

Comment

I had a project WAY back that never finished. Maybe I (or someone I give the files to) could finish or iterate on the project as part of UT?

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Last edited by KazeoHin-TechAE; 01-07-2016, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Looks really nice, but I'm not sure if the head of that robot fits UT at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CzajnikGrozy View Post
              Looks really nice, but I'm not sure if the head of that robot fits UT at all.
              Oh it would require MAJOR alterations, as the original concept was supposed to be a kiju-style mega-big bot the size of a building, so the proportions were exasperated to emphasise the scale. A different head and a different sized head would be required.

Comment

Hello all, based on internal team feedback and all of your comments in this thread we have decided to do a major overhaul on the bot design. Therefore, it will be a bit before I have something to share again.
                what's the gist of the changes? What do you feel wasn't working based on the feedback?

Comment

We decided that nobody wanted a "weak version robot" so we are going straight to something that looks stronger/meaner and has a more recognizable face. It won't be Xan or the top of the line bot but we are ditching the bottom end phase 1 bot. So we will still have a progression of coolness but we are starting the process with something less lame.
                  Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                  Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                  Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

haha, ok. Good plan

Comment

We decided that nobody wanted a "weak version robot" so we are going straight to something that looks stronger/meaner and has a more recognizable face. It won't be Xan or the top of the line bot but we are ditching the bottom end phase 1 bot. So we will still have a progression of coolness but we are starting the process with something less lame.
                      I did :/ totally loved the robot concept and your modelling. But oh well.. just blow me away with another one^^

Comment

O_O part of me feels bad for dumping on your guys' hard work and plans, but I'm glad y'all are gonna bring the nastiness and held keep that "cool factor" that UT had in the past, and needs to keep in the future if you want to be popular with your target demographic (and beyond)!

I'm still interested in this whole "progresssion" theme. I'm kind of thinking it'll be tied in to level unlocks or something. Maybe we buy a frame from the store, and unlock bits through level progression? And it has to be specifically while playing AS the robot? Street Fighter 4 had "player points" accross the persons whole account, and "battle points" for each specific character. Maybe that would help exposure to different characters if people HAD to play as them to unlock extra bits. I dunno, just thinking out loud. In any case, it sounds intriguing.

It's okay if we don't have Xan right off the bat. In fact, I would find it amusing if NOBODY could access him through normal means, and he could only be unlocked by winning a big important tournament XD and aaawww, I dont think the original bot was "lame", not by any standard! I just didnt think it was right for a badass arena FPS, is all :S
                        ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                        Frag video featuring Rookie
                        Frag video featuring Phantaci
                        Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

cool to hear

Comment

The "weak" version robot wasn't a bad idea in the first place, especially lore wise. It would be neat to see some robots mining in the background, or being mass produced, or even as an enemy in invasion mod (who said it should only be against monsters ?). The thing is you rather presented it as the player character, were most of the players surely expected something more... tough and menacing. All the previous incarnation of UT had robots which looked impressive, or had some kind of charisma (which is surely a plus when you put them in a kind of gladiator show) and unique expressions. Xan is just the epitome of that idea, which is probably why he's so unique and one of the "main" character of UT along with Malcom and possibly Gorge.

Anyway I still enjoy to see the quality of Epic work, whatever the result.

Comment

The idea was never to have a 'weak' robot but to design all of our characters in such a way that they have room to grow, to become more bad-*** over time via progression, unlocks or whatever avenue(s) that are decided on.

We still want our base characters to be cool, look tough and be menacing but to not start out with all the possible bells and whistles.

I really like the base robot Pete and Goob came up with, we're just trying to refine it some. Until it's done it's all work in progress.

Hope that makes sense. Please keep checking in.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

So basically I start with a normal car, and by playing I unlock stuff to tune and customize it ?

So I still think something closer to the "skeleton" would make the process more enjoyable. You can then put whatever chassis or parts you want on it, like a toy or a LEGO for exemple.
                                Actually you're doing a system similar to what UT3 had no ?

Comment

Working...
                                X