This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BhaaL View Post
    Why do I see an EVA there? You can (not) win.
    Hahah yeah, I was looking at a little Evangelion before I started on it. Those things look so freakin' mean!

Comment

More concepts, still on the "strongest" class, although I guess some of these could be used for the other classes.
      Just aesthetic and shape exploration. Still no strong brief on the Liandri visual language, so hopefully we can narrow that down eventually. Until then, tell me what you think! What best suites the game and why?

Someone above mentioned clothing on the robots...although serving little practical use, I liked the idea and gave it a shot. Maybe some are part of fighter clans?

Attached Files

Comment

^^ I really only see 1, 3, and 4 working in the context of UT. the other ones are fine and dandy, but for a different sci fi universe. 2 would work if you swapped heads with 6.

Theyre pretty good for being greyscale low-detail sketches, but the big interest grabbers usually come from both the fine details and the overall character. They look like they function, but I wanna see them be FATAL with laser precision and unfeeling quickness. I wanna see them and think they could take a tank shell in the chest and keep coming at me!
        ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
        Frag video featuring Rookie
        Frag video featuring Phantaci
        Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Some cool stuff but I'm distracted by the leg proportions on all but the last one. I think I like 4 and 6 best, 4 is cool in some way because of its squareness, feels broad and powerful. But I prefer the more solid feet of 6 to the "hoof" look of every other one.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Love the hoodie-like head of #2. I would give him lower torso of #7 and legs of #6 and I would love to play him

Comment

The Hooded part could be some kind of flexible protection ...Kevlar or something like that.
              I like all the body designs but only the feet from 3 and 6. The other feet are not convincing enough for me.
              ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Very cool concepts Forge. I like the personality you get from non-human proportions but unfortunately that is one of our biggest restraints and challenges with the robot faction. They have to adhere to the existing human bipedal skeleton so they can share the same rig and animations as the other characters. Someday we might have a few custom animations for each faction but they will always share the majority of base animation cycles and therefore must match very closely to the existing animation skeleton.

With that said it's always possible to take the spirit of a concept and try to maintain it as much as possible while satisfying the technical and gameplay requirements. This is always the most challenging part of our job, make it look as cool as the concept while making it work in game!
                Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de ecrã 2016-01-27, às 14.41.33.png
Views:	1
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	344331

I was playing UT99 and noticed that robot. Not bad.
                  work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, super helpful!
                    I can understand the whole foot thing, and will certainly pay more attention to giving the bots a "sturdy" feel.

Thanks for the input too, Yemyam. I thought there'd be base bipedal restrictions but didn't know how much legroom we had here, so thanks for clearing that up.

Any critique on shapes/ aesthetic would be great, too! Are any of these close to a potential direction for the "strongest" class?

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                      He's the leader of The Corrupt, Liandri's robot team in the tournament. His original model led the AI uprising on LBX-7683.
                      ... or rumoured to be robotized (or just wearing super advance power armor) Jerl Liandri aka Owner of Liandri corporation. Depends if you preffer UT'99 explaination or UT2k4. Both have fans. Personally i prefer ambiguity and mystery coming from UT'99 approach. Imo good concept needs to capture this ambiguity well to satisfy both sides.

@Forge
                      In Classic UT games (UT'99, UT2k3/4) there were three robot factions. Two of them were teams owned by Xan himself. Both of those were quite far from standard way of concepting robots. I did some overview at beggining of the topic. Liandri strongest were pretty much War Machine (UT'99) and The Corrupt (UT2k4). Summed up in one sentence War Machine vibe was raw metal mockery of human race. In The Corrupt many members were influenced by art deco which is quite unique for robots and potentially worth exploring.

Most generic robot concepts people create fits best into Blood Fists team which was not owned by Liandri but composed from renegade ai's of various comercial battle robots.
                      Unofficial Enforcer Model
                      Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

To be honest...yeah, ambiguity FTW. That's part of what set the original Star Wars trilogy and The Force Awakens apart from the prequels.
                        The new UT is coming along nicely...
                        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

You don't know how to give explaination which would satisfy everybody? Leave minor hints and make it ambigous. People will find explainations which satisfy them most
                          Unofficial Enforcer Model
                          Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

As much as i like the "weak stonger strongest" hierarchy, i don't think it fits UT?
                            Considering UT has always traditionally been a level playing-field, why define that some robots are more armoured than others? Or more designed for combat? Ultimately it will make no sense in-game since they will be equally as efficient. We may as well have dudes in their jocks vs fully-armoured Necris.

I know this is an Epic dev decision and will ultimately go through, but I feel like we're just setting up for a class of robots no-one wants. I can't imagine many people are going to look at that model of the base robot and say "I want to play as that". Similarly, what's the use of having a robot that looks like it could take a rocket when it is ultimately as weak as a bot with no armour?
                            The bots in UT3 were unique and ultimately at the same armour level as everybody else. Why not, instead of hierarchy, we have clans or different brands or something? That way we could vary the visual language a little, and instead of giving players "good-better-best" (where they'll most likely always choose "best"), we give them variety and personality.

My other strife is that throughout the history of UT, nobody really looks like they should be running as fast as they are. To me this always added a degree of "kid fantasy" level ridiculousness. A lot of them looked like they should run about as fast as Marcus Fenix.
                            Where's the enabling armour? Jump pistons? Booster rockets? Some of these things in the designs might make the speeds a little more believable. Right now I feel like we have dudes in trendy futuristic shirts and pants.
                            I always wanted to feel like the speed in the game had a reason, and you really were controlling some super-advanced super-agile warrior. Right now though, it feels a little more like magic boots.

It's probably too late in development to bring some of that stuff up, but that's my two cents. Pull me up if you disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post
                              As much as i like the "weak stonger strongest" hierarchy, i don't think it fits UT?

I know this is an Epic dev decision and will ultimately go through, but I feel like we're just setting up for a class of robots no-one wants. I can't imagine many people are going to look at that model of the base robot and say "I want to play as that".
                              You need to do a little reading and catch up with the thread here, homeboy! Youre paraphrasing what a bunch of us said from the beginning, and then youre basically QUOTING what the devs said like 4 pages back. That's why theyre skipping "tier 1" of bots and going straight to "tier 2" out of 3. My guess is that building a class-A kill bot will tie into the level progression system, offline challenges, and the marketplace, but that remains to be seen. In any case, the devs are way ahead of you, and we'll just have to see coming up (hopefully) soon.
                              ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                              Frag video featuring Rookie
                              Frag video featuring Phantaci
                              Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
                                You need to do a little reading and catch up with the thread here, homeboy! Youre paraphrasing what a bunch of us said from the beginning, and then youre basically QUOTING what the devs said like 4 pages back. That's why theyre skipping "tier 1" of bots and going straight to "tier 2" out of 3. My guess is that building a class-A kill bot will tie into the level progression system, offline challenges, and the marketplace, but that remains to be seen. In any case, the devs are way ahead of you, and we'll just have to see coming up (hopefully) soon.
                                Haha well *****, I'm glad I wasn't alone. Yeah, maybe I should read through a whole thread first before getting all down and dirty. It would really help if people updated their 1st thread posts to save some people making the same mistake lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X