Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the new build will have a WIP robot, which surprises me! Should be interesting...

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
      Looks like the new build will have a WIP robot, which surprises me! Should be interesting...
      The WIP is currently in our development branch. He will NOT be in the next build. If you don't see us mention it in the patch notes or a UT Dev explicitly say something is coming don't assume it will make it to the public release branch.

Just want to clear up any potential upcoming confusion that your post might have caused.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post

As you can tell by our Flickr page the art direction and style of UT4 is considerably different:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unrealtournament/

With that said, there are some good ideas in his concept but without somebody to model it and bring it into the real world it's hard to tell.

The art style of UT4 is fairly established now and we have a ton of concepts, renders and screenshots that illustrate what that style is. If it's not your cup of tea I don't know what to tell you and no wall of text is going to change anything.
        AAWWWWWWWW MAAAN.
        I hadn't seen those shots before. I've now got a massive artistic ***** for UT4. We can totally do some awesome stuff with that aesthetic.
        DAMMIT I hate that I was contracted and had to come off this for so long! I've missed so much development. I really wish we had a design bible or something for those coming on. Trying to catch up and read through the threads is hurting my face.

Comment

Found it with google. Looks like Necro-Skaarj-Robot hybrid

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by e1vp View Post
            Found it with google. Looks like Necro-Skaarj-Robot hybrid

I've had this pic in my inspiration folder for a while. From what I've seen, the direction really feels like it could fit in UT. Good breakup of read vs detail. Not quite threatening though?

Comment

That's a concept by Furio Tedeschi https://www.artstation.com/artist/furio and has nothing to do with UT. Unless you are just posting as inspiration?
              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by RZE View Post
                The WIP is currently in our development branch. He will NOT be in the next build. If you don't see us mention it in the patch notes or a UT Dev explicitly say something is coming don't assume it will make it to the public release branch.

Just want to clear up any potential upcoming confusion that your post might have caused.
                I see, thanks. (but too bad).

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

ho... lee.... cow....

*catches breath* whew boy, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor from that pic. Too bad it isnt for UT!!

Anyway, once this cursed 4.11 build is out, I'm sure we'll all have plenty to look forward to with the new art assets between the robots and the Chill set. IMHO, the current UT4 weapons are easily the best looking weapons in the entire series, so I'm looking forward to how the robots turn out as well ^__^
                  ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                  Frag video featuring Rookie
                  Frag video featuring Phantaci
                  Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

This concept is pretty much detail over design aka what i criticized UT3 since always :P. And this concepts creeps into Warframe level of bizzare detailing and twisted shapes. UT'99 and UT2k4 due to technical limitations was more desing and less detiling just for sake of detailing.

However... What i like is bodytype which is not used for robots that often (Pretty much what Shranzar introdced to this topic). I could see robot with this bodytype for Virus or Cyclops.

Also camo material used to cover some of its body is quite neat idea.
                    Unofficial Enforcer Model
                    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Well that concept robot looks great(model looks bad tho, not true to the concept)!

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post
                        As much as i like the "weak stonger strongest" hierarchy, i don't think it fits UT?
                        Considering UT has always traditionally been a level playing-field, why define that some robots are more armoured than others? Or more designed for combat? Ultimately it will make no sense in-game since they will be equally as efficient. We may as well have dudes in their jocks vs fully-armoured Necris.

I know this is an Epic dev decision and will ultimately go through, but I feel like we're just setting up for a class of robots no-one wants. I can't imagine many people are going to look at that model of the base robot and say "I want to play as that". Similarly, what's the use of having a robot that looks like it could take a rocket when it is ultimately as weak as a bot with no armour?
                        The bots in UT3 were unique and ultimately at the same armour level as everybody else. Why not, instead of hierarchy, we have clans or different brands or something? That way we could vary the visual language a little, and instead of giving players "good-better-best" (where they'll most likely always choose "best"), we give them variety and personality.
                        My thoughts exactly

Comment

That way we could vary the visual language a little, and instead of giving players "good-better-best" (where they'll most likely always choose "best"), we give them variety and personality.
                          Yeah this is a good idea, and still can fit with the Tier of bot idea, but gets around the weak -> strong stumbling point.

You have your repurposed mining bots, which, while not built for combat, proved they were capable additions to the tournament. (Tier 1) (Industrial look, more exposed mechanisms, heavy equipment style)

Then the tier2 bots were a more special purpose tournament built set, or other promotional models like Devastation from UC2. (perhaps more artistic or sporty shells like the 2k4 bots)

Tier 3 bots were the advanced combat AI's built specifically for warfare, but being demoed in the high levels of the tournament as a showcase to prospective buyers. (The WarMachines and BloodFist style bots)

Comment

Hey Pete give new Pics for the Robots?

Comment

^^ does anyone know how to set up a filter so I don't have to see "Chris UT4" posts?
                              ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                              Frag video featuring Rookie
                              Frag video featuring Phantaci
                              Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
                                ^^ does anyone know how to set up a filter so I don't have to see "Chris UT4" posts?
                                Click on nickname > View profile > Add to ignore list.
                                You mean...

Comment

Working...
                                X