Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Riddick, glad you see an improvement. Could you show me which 2k4 robots you thought were way cooler and what aspects appeal to you? Maybe we can pull some design elements from them in future bots. Also, examples of what you think is a mean looking bot would be helpful as we all have different perspectives on what constitutes cool and mean.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Here is my work in progress renders from the stream today. Comments, crits, questions welcome. I'll fold in as many changes as I can as long as it doesn't involve starting over.

Completely new ideas should be saved for a new thread, I'd like to keep this thread focused on improving what we have not discussing what we will do with future bots.

Attached Files
      Last edited by YemYam; 03-02-2016, 05:41 PM.
      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

is the first step for the Robot Fraction?

Comment

Reminds me of a cylon:

and also the NO FUN ALLOWED robot:

Which is good, because it looks like classic sci-fi. Looks tough, but sensible. I'd like to see these in game for sure, and if I were a newbie to the franchise, I'd like to know more about them. I hope you KEEP the thick shoulders and thighs - they really pop and make it seem like a strong machine built to withstand some damage.

I gotta admit, the very first screens that were put on stream with the team colors REALLY hit me the wrong way. It's hard to explain why, but that first image just kinda looks hideous to me. Then I saw the other renders with the black paint, and the base renders without any paint on it at all and I lightened up 100%. The last one with the speckle paint on it looks really sweet too. Looking back at them all side by side, it's hard for me to pin down why I dislike the first pic wth the team colors so much, but really like the other ones. But it goes to show that color and accents go a long way to how something like this makes a first impression on your eye when you see it. Call it "mojo" or something, I dunno.

Anyway, everyone's got their own little idea of what they want to see out of robots, and I can really tell that y'all want to blaze a new trail and do something new for UT4. I may have my own wish lsit that's different from someone else's, but I think most of us can agree that they look good, and we'd be happy to see them in game!!
          ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
          Frag video featuring Rookie
          Frag video featuring Phantaci
          Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

No need to start over... you listened to feedback from everyone (not just me of course) which I think, judging from feedback on the stream chat, and my own immediate impressions, has paid off and will pay off. It just has that UT vibe now.

My suggestion (only one) for improving it would be to create a slight wraparound effect to the visor. It needn't be much, even just splitting it in the middle and slanting slightly to both sides so it remains angular... but I get the impression that, while it looks great from the front, its field of vision might be a bit narrow? It also ends up a bit plain from the side view.

Or perhaps this kind of shape: ]

or, add a thinner slit on the sides.

Aside from that, I feel like this is one of the best unique models ever created for a UT game, let alone for the robot faction.

Well done to all involved.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Love it, eqpecially with the grey and kaki skin on the last pic. First pic, then, is a bit too power-rangers-like to me...
              Also in the stream, you showed some renders with a concrete corridor background. Is that a new wip map ?

Another point is that I don't think spreading bots characters on 3 levels is a good thing. Would be better IMO if they were divided in two teams like in UT2K4 :
              - one with your bot + one body variant and 4 heads variants
              - anbother one as the corrupt, based on Shraznar's concepts : one male body with Xan or cyclop face + one female body with two face variants aswell.

Comment

I could not see the stream, I'll try to catch it later.

But you're really going in a good direction with the robots ! I like it a lot. I just want to know to which "tier" it belongs, the second maybe ?
                I can already see what kind of "improvements" the corporations could bring on it.

Comment

Why does the old concept gets abandoned and replaced by a completely different concept. This new iteartion doesn't even look like a Robot. C3PO with muscles. Hmm. I can agree the old concept wasn't received well by the community, but why should every single char well received by everyone. If I see this in-game, I wouldn't see a robot but an human kind of military model. I really hope the new phase would look better but as this is kind of the base, I doubt it.

Looking forward for community models.

feedback given.
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

The reason why we produced a few different renders with different colors and levels of grunge is so you guys could experiment with paintovers for different skin/texture variants. How would the uber sinister version look? What would it look like if they were painted like football uniforms as a purely sport model? Or a racecar with racing stripes?

The forms are pretty versatile and as many people have already noticed how the materials are applied will dramatically affect how you perceive the robot. I'd love to see some experimentation from the community in addition to potential crits/tweaks.
                    Last edited by YemYam; 03-02-2016, 05:55 PM.

Comment

IMO this new bot doesn't look as funky as your former, more industrial concept; and isn't either as impressive and intimidating as Shraznar's ones. It looks more like a cop or soldier bot who made its way to the tournament. So I think grey, dark blue or camo skins would fit him better.

Comment

I really like this new direction with the model. I liked the old one too but putting them side by side I can see why all the changes were necessary. This new one feels like it has a lot more weight and density to it. The forms are a lot stronger and more balanced too. Biggest improvement is definitely in the arms and feet. I especially like the beat up grungy skin.

Comment

Wow I really like this new guy! I like how the DNA of the old concept still comes through, but this time he's beefy enough to not look like a complete pushover. I also really like that flowing form across the back and shoulders that gives him sort of a masculine/bodybuilder silhouette.

My biggest criticism would be the face, I feel the way the face deviated from the concept is kind of a downgrade, particularly the eye and jaw areas. Not sure if you tried them and it didn't work, but the segmented eye slats look a lot more interesting than the cylon-esc visor And as for the jaw, in the concept the cheek(?) plates kind of come down and meet another part in the middle to form a sharp, complete jawline that's a little stormtrooper-y, but the model's same plates just kind of jut out on their own looks a little awkward to me personally.

Comment

Here's my color variant.

Attached Files

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Now you have created something I WANT TO PLAY ...!!!
                              GOSH DARN IT!!!

I like the faces of the first render/picture as well. I hope we will get more heads for this faction.
                              *JOY*
                              ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Awesome Live Stream today, nice work on the mech and Chill. During this cold storm, it's heart warming.

Comment

Working...
                                X