This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    Here is my work in progress renders from the stream today. Comments, crits, questions welcome....

Halo lawsuit incoming !!!!

But I actually like this model. Looks good in photographs. Hopefully it looks good in game
    Last edited by ihopenot; 03-03-2016, 06:50 PM.
    (FOV + eye height + small models + bony character design) = = (visibility FAIL, game feel FAIL, customization marketplace FAIL, Gameplay FAIL)

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
      Agreed.

Funny how people always pick arbitrary things to compare the visor to though, I mean hello:

Even Xan has a visor.
      Not sure if you're joking.

Those visors are recessed into the face and eye sockets and the overal head design is skull-like. The Cylon style visor is surrounded by an extruded ridge, almost like a set of goggles, and the face has cheek plates reminiscent of ancient Greek and Roman helmets.

Comment

Ah my favorite.

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
        ...the reason why he looks so cool is it has no human skull, it is a killing machine, sharp edges from face to toes he seems like he'd kill you with anything...
        Yup, nasty meat bag eliminator.

Comment

Main question - what level will needed for unlock the robot, when it appears in the game? 70? 150? 100000?

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
            Not sure if you're joking.
            The Cylon style visor is surrounded by an extruded ridge
            Not from any of the ones I've seen. "Cylon" visor styles seem to be all different shapes. It looks like the combination of the visor with cheek guards is the biggest factor in your impression, this UT robot certainly has many other differences though and lacks the mohawk. I am just getting tired of seeing people get hung up on comparisons to old sci-fi. There is no completely original design out there, everything borrows or is subtly influenced by everything else. It's what you do with it and how you bring all these elements together imo that makes it good or not.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Firstly - i really like change of direction made with robot. The one thing i'm afraid of is that with same exact animations as human characters it might look too close to human, yet artificial giving the impression of crashtest dummy. I might be wrong on that, but it's worth keeping it in mind while testing how it looks inside the match.

Originally posted by Mangley View Post
              Just for fun I thought I'd stick the original concept's head on this one to see if it could still work as an alt head.
              This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
              This is imo good solution. It slightly changes the silhouette. Just enough to be easily readable as robot at intimate range of rocket launcher shot but making it just another unnamed victim for sniper
              Unofficial Enforcer Model
              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

I am just getting tired of seeing people get hung up on comparisons to old sci-fi. There is no completely original design out there, everything borrows or is subtly influenced by everything else. It's what you do with it and how you bring all these elements together imo that makes it good or not.
                Actually the new model is more a copy of one of the halo spartans turned into a robot, than a cylon

(FOV + eye height + small models + bony character design) = = (visibility FAIL, game feel FAIL, customization marketplace FAIL, Gameplay FAIL)

Comment

That's one definition that fits I suppose.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                  Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I doubt Halo has a trademark on blocky enamel painted armor. The Japanese, on the other hand...

Not from any of the ones I've seen. "Cylon" visor styles seem to be all different shapes. It looks like the combination of the visor with cheek guards is the biggest factor in your impression, this UT robot certainly has many other differences though and lacks the mohawk. I am just getting tired of seeing people get hung up on comparisons to old sci-fi. There is no completely original design out there, everything borrows or is subtly influenced by everything else. It's what you do with it and how you bring all these elements together imo that makes it good or not.
                    The visor and cheek are the strongest distinguishing features, it's only natural to focus on them first for the general impression. If you gave this robot a V-shaped visor, it would have an even stronger correlation with the re-imagined cylons from the 2004 series, since they also lack the mohawk.

Unless you're talking about this robot's "spider eyes" variant:

Comment

I love these models. That being said, I have a few notes about these robots. First off I don't like the 4 fingers on each hand. It looks like they're missing a finger rather than being built like that. Also, I'm a huge fan of Xan Kriegor because he looked menacing as hell and I think that same menacing look isn't being conveyed in these robots faces or bodies. They look too clean. They need to be bigger and broader and more damaged looking with mean faces. Think depressing, angry, violent war machines.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I agree with all of the comments and wish we could go more extreme with proportions, size, etc. Unfortunately because we are a competitive multiplayer game with limited resources we have challenging restraints, especially when it comes to robots.

Every single character, whether male, female, necris male, necris female, skaarj, robot, etc. has to adhere to the exact same skeleton and has to share the majority of animations. On top of that it has to stay relatively similar to other characters in bulk as to retain the same hit box and fair competitive balancing.

If you make the character too far out of the hit box it may look cool, big, and menacing but then it would be extremely frustrating in gameplay as you would think you are hitting the enemy (by mesh visuals) but would not by the actual hit box. If you make the character too skinny or lacking in bulk then enemies could hide easier and be more difficult to track visually.

So there are very specific technical and gameplay restraints and we have done the best that we can within those restraints. Please keep this in mind as you offer your suggestions on how we can make this model better. Also remember that "file new >> save no" does nothing to help us at this stage in the game. Please keep your crits focused on the task at hand.

Lastly, I am a huge mech fan, geek, collector, etc. It has been my passion my entire life and I have a huge mech collection of toys, model kits, art books, movies, anime, reference, etc. Everything in art is a remix. Everything has been done at this point. Show me your favorite "original" mech and I can tell you what came before it. Pattern matching is easy. Posting an image that reminds you of what we produced doesn't do anything to help this model get better. Please keep that in mind.

With that said, I know we all love robots and want the coolest UT robots ever or you wouldn't be spending the time you are posting in this thread so thank you very much. Together we can keep progressing and do the best we can considering the constraints.
                        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I agree with all of the comments and wish we could go more extreme with proportions, size, etc. Unfortunately because we are a competitive multiplayer game with limited resources we have challenging restraints, especially when it comes to robots.

Every single character, whether male, female, necris male, necris female, skaarj, robot, etc. has to adhere to the exact same skeleton and has to share the majority of animations. On top of that it has to stay relatively similar to other characters in bulk as to retain the same hit box and fair competitive balancing.

If you make the character too far out of the hit box it may look cool, big, and menacing but then it would be extremely frustrating in gameplay as you would think you are hitting the enemy (by mesh visuals) but would not by the actual hit box. If you make the character too skinny or lacking in bulk then enemies could hide easier and be more difficult to track visually.

So there are very specific technical and gameplay restraints and we have done the best that we can within those restraints. Please keep this in mind as you offer your suggestions on how we can make this model better. Also remember that "file new >> save no" does nothing to help us at this stage in the game. Please keep your crits focused on the task at hand.
                          Yep you mentioned this earlier in the thread post #27: [MENTION=175342]ptt.frmr[/MENTION]; pointed it out.
                          Originally posted by ptt.frmr View Post

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post

I need Yes / No answers for the following ASAP, so that I can get started on something
                          1) Biped only
                          2) Anatomically correct

Thanks!
                          The bots need to adhere to the same character skeleton and animations as the other characters so there are some limitations.
                          See quote.

Lastly, I am a huge mech fan, geek, collector, etc. It has been my passion my entire life and I have a huge mech collection of toys, model kits, art books, movies, anime, reference, etc. Everything in art is a remix. Everything has been done at this point. Show me your favorite "original" mech and I can tell you what came before it. Pattern matching is easy. Posting an image that reminds you of what we produced doesn't do anything to help this model get better. Please keep that in mind.
                          The model I had in mind would have been nothing that you would have seen before as it was a completely unique design, I guarantee you wouldn't have seen it anywhere
                          I was a bit discourage in having to fit into the standard player model, as the articulation doesn't really match a humanoid 1:1 plus I didn't have the time.

With that said, I know we all love robots and want the coolest UT robots ever or you wouldn't be spending the time you are posting in this thread so thank you very much. Together we can keep progressing and do the best we can considering the constraints.
                          As a potential way to alleviate the constraints, maybe people could make monsters instead?
                          Have a look at [MENTION=18574]KazeoHin-TechAE[/MENTION] thread: [CONCEPT ART] Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

I'm thinking of modeling it up my robot anyway and then posting it as a monster.

If I can reduce it into a standard player model then that'd be great.
                          Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                            Yep you mentioned this earlier in the thread.
                            Unfortunately not everyone is going to read the thread from the very beginning, especially one closing to 400 posts
                            "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                            - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
                              Unfortunately not everyone is going to read the thread from the very beginning, especially one closing to 400 posts
                              Yep agreed.

I usually use the archive view to quickly browse a thread or to search, when the search engine fails me.
                              It has the downside of not preserving quotes correctly and images aren't inline anymore.

The archive view of this thread comes up to being only 2 pages, which is nice.

[OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction - Archive view
                              Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

I find the skeleton limitations very unfortunate, as I agree it looks very similar to a human in armour. I thought the new Skaarj design was strange too, but I guess it makes sense now.

Maybe a head without the visor would look less human like multiple sets of eyes, a single lens, a screen, or no external sensors.

That said I still think it looks very cool and it is very well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X