• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Here's my color variant.

sick one mate, u really made it look badass for what it is

Comment

6 Axis Robot Arm Biped for UT4 Faction Robots and / or Unreal Universe Monsters!

Here is my submission for [OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction Phase 1: WEAKEST - Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

[screenshot]http://orig15.deviantart.net/c5df/f/2016/065/8/c/6_axis_robot_arm_biped___view_1___mockup_1_by_richardboegli-d9u3kbb.png[/screenshot][screenshot]http://orig09.deviantart.net/a5d6/f/2016/065/0/5/6_axis_robot_arm_biped___view_2___mockup_1_by_richardboegli-d9u3mds.png[/screenshot][screenshot]https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/screenshots/pics/db19d16e9b299ee73ca69401bf6829e3/large.jpg[/screenshot]

For the last 20 or so years in my spare time, I've been designing and building walking and biped robots.

The original concept was to create a biped walking robot utilising 6 axis robot arms as legs and feet

I came up with concept about 15 years ago, when I saw a Toyota factory poster which had two 6 axis robot arms on an assembly line (Not the poster itself, but an example to demonstrate my point)
      I thought to myself "How easy would it be to create a biped robot, if the legs are already made and I just have to create a counterweight frame?"

I extended this concept to think about using the 6 axis robot arms for legs for 4, 6 and above legged robots.
      Most of my biped robots have utilised the ZMP / Zero Moment Point philosophy (introduced by Miomir Vukobratović in 1968) to make them statically stable ie: the point where the total of horizontal inertia and gravity forces equals 0 (zero).
      So the robot transfers weight such that it is balanced before it moves a leg forward.

This is easier to design for than “dynamically stable” locomotion as a human aren’t actually stable when walking.

When [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION] from Epic Games announced the thread for [OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction, I thought about how I could extend the design to add arms such that it could carry things. As the biped might not fit the standard biped skeleton for UT4, I’ve posted it into [MENTION=18574]KazeoHin-TechAE[/MENTION]
      thread Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together! aswell.

The robot is comprises of
      • 6 axis robot arms - QTY 4 (Arms and Legs)
      • I-Beam - QTY 1 (Body)
      • Tablet - QTY 1 (Head / Face)

I used the FANUC-430 Robot which I got from GrabCAD by Ken Schulze as I like the styling of the Fanuc Robot arms, I used one as part of the design for my final year thesis and this model looks good

The biped needs more work to actually add mounting plates, bolts, cables, stiffeners etc… This is a very rough mockup just to show the concept.

Engineering wise, I’d have to spec up robot arms which are capable of lifting their own weight. The plan is to actually design and build one of these in real life once I can secure funding.

I utilised Autodesk Inventor 2016 to assemble this mockup. There wasn’t much modelling involved

As this is @YemYam's thread, feel free to use my thread to comment on this mockup instead of commenting here.
      Last edited by richardboegli; 03-05-2016, 10:29 AM.
      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
        Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I agree with all of the comments and wish we could go more extreme with proportions, size, etc. Unfortunately because we are a competitive multiplayer game with limited resources we have challenging restraints, especially when it comes to robots.

Every single character, whether male, female, necris male, necris female, skaarj, robot, etc. has to adhere to the exact same skeleton and has to share the majority of animations. On top of that it has to stay relatively similar to other characters in bulk as to retain the same hit box and fair competitive balancing.

If you make the character too far out of the hit box it may look cool, big, and menacing but then it would be extremely frustrating in gameplay as you would think you are hitting the enemy (by mesh visuals) but would not by the actual hit box. If you make the character too skinny or lacking in bulk then enemies could hide easier and be more difficult to track visually.

So there are very specific technical and gameplay restraints and we have done the best that we can within those restraints. Please keep this in mind as you offer your suggestions on how we can make this model better. Also remember that "file new >> save no" does nothing to help us at this stage in the game. Please keep your crits focused on the task at hand.

Lastly, I am a huge mech fan, geek, collector, etc. It has been my passion my entire life and I have a huge mech collection of toys, model kits, art books, movies, anime, reference, etc. Everything in art is a remix. Everything has been done at this point. Show me your favorite "original" mech and I can tell you what came before it. Pattern matching is easy. Posting an image that reminds you of what we produced doesn't do anything to help this model get better. Please keep that in mind.

With that said, I know we all love robots and want the coolest UT robots ever or you wouldn't be spending the time you are posting in this thread so thank you very much. Together we can keep progressing and do the best we can considering the constraints.
        I kinda figured all the models had to share the same proportions but that means no Krall, no Juggernauts, and funny looking Skaarj. Also, I noticed that Visse is skinnier than any of the male characters so far. Does that mean her hitboxes are bigger than her body or the males hitboxes are only as big as Visse? I also gotta say, the competitive nature of the game is really mitigating the artistic possibilities as opposed to previous games.

Comment

Yes, all hit boxes (actually capsule) are exactly the same across all characters. That's the only efficient and fair way to do it. So Visse does look smaller and visibly (poly wise) has less surface area to hit but it will still register a hit based on the capsule. Obviously we try to have some variance but limit it as the more you deviate between characters the more you create competitive imbalance within the game.

With that said maybe we are too conservative and can push it a little further, try to balance artistic individuality with competitive considerations better. I just wanted to let people know the creative box we are working in so they can structure their constructive crits more effectively.

PS - Very cool bot richardboegli! It won't work for pvp for reasons already discussed but as an enemy for a single player experience I think it could be pretty cool. The thread started by KazeoHin-TechAE is one of my favs because everybody can go crazy and make whatever they want since it will all fold into an invasion mod.
          Last edited by YemYam; 03-05-2016, 06:15 PM.
          Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
          Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
          Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Yes, all hit boxes (actually capsule) are exactly the same across all characters. That's the only efficient and fair way to do it. So Visse does look smaller and visibly (poly wise) has less surface area to hit but it will still register a hit based on the capsule. Obviously we try to have some variance but limit it as the more you deviate between characters the more you create competitive imbalance within the game.

With that said maybe we are too conservative and can push it a little further, try to balance artistic individuality with competitive considerations better. I just wanted to let people know the creative box we are working in so they can structure their constructive crits more effectively.

PS - Very cool bot richardboegli! It won't work for pvp for reasons already discussed but as an enemy for a single player experience I think it could be pretty cool. The thread started by KazeoHin-TechAE is one of my favs because everybody can go crazy and make whatever they want since it will all fold into an invasion mod.
            The thread is nice, but I'm more of the opinion that it highlights the weak point of the community at the moment. We got Wail. and MonsOlympus either doing C++ or Blueprint, actually getting playable stuff into the game and nobody is really giving them a hand, helping them out. Sure, it's nice to create monsters, but I doubt that anyone sat down thinking about what those monsters would do, how they would fight, what gameplay would be involved, etc. Just people creating stuff and hoping it will be used. Might be just me, but it seems disconnected from game development that requires people to put their ego in a box and work towards a common goal together. On the other hand, I understand that without motivation, it's hard to do anything - but what allows that is to put our ego in that box.

Comment

Hey Tidal Blast, long time no see! The whole thing you are missing is they are doing a mod and having fun doing it. Why are you trying to rain on their parade? That's what hobbyist level development is all about. Having fun and learning. It is separate from the core game development. That's the way it should be done. Do your own thing, make your own path. They are doing an Invasion mod. If they make cool enough stuff (and they are) somebody will help them with the other components and they will all have fun doing it.

You gain momentum and help by making cool stuff and wining people over with your work not your words. Stop waiting around for your perfect game development environment and create your own. We are all doing the best that we can. I hate to sound like a broken record but it's hard enough to coordinate with what we have internally so the community has to be self motivated, self managing, self helping. There are a million resources out there. No excuses. "Back in my day" we did it because we loved it and one day we hoped to do it for a living.

It has absolutely nothing to do with ego, it's just the harsh realities of game development. That's it. Stop it, seriously.
              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

... Pattern matching is easy. Posting an image that reminds you of what we produced doesn't do anything to help this model get better. Please keep that in mind.

With that said, I know we all love robots and want the coolest UT robots ever ...
                I would tend to agree with you, but if a similar image/model posted is from a well recognized franchise in the same genre, then you could use that image to consciously make your model more distinct by avoiding or altering certain patterns.

Having said that, I think the model that you have done is distinct enough to hold its own and be recognized as a UT model. I don't know much about robot anatomy but I think the shoulders could maybe use a bit more separation like the first set of 3 robots you posted. The model already looks very good and finished.
                (FOV + eye height + small models + bony character design) = = (visibility FAIL, game feel FAIL, customization marketplace FAIL, Gameplay FAIL)

Comment

[MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION] I totally understand where you are coming from, with the Gorge redesign its been extremely difficult to get him to stick within the confines of the new capsule and make sure he isnt too much larger in terms of visibility too. Being a shorter kinda fatter character in previous UTs its been hard to keep the fans of the original design happy and I want to make him individual and still pay homage to the original, the competitive concerns are always there though as you do want people to play the character and appreciate the art not ignore it because it puts you at a disadvantage.

Perhaps the first lot of characters were alittle bit thin compared to this robot even and I wouldnt mind alittle extra bulk being put on those to give us character creators more room for artistic creativity rather than everyone just being a generic dude with a different skin. I know rework can be annoying but if it helps in the longer term, that said I have managed to fit a Juggernaut reasonably comfortably within the confines of the current hitbox and character sizes, the constraints mainly limit body types, I couldnt make a kinda fat dude for instance without it having a much more surface area. Thats why I was abit upset at the fact the characters wear very thin armour because it would have given us acouple of inches more to play with on the outer edge at a minimum right now even 1 inch larger around the entire character makes a huge difference.

I see skinny women as being problematic on a whole, I personally feel Visse, while accurate in terms of muscle mass lost after death is slightly problematic, if it wernt for the chunky weapons I dont think I would be able to see her arms at all.

I know people are worried about the whole backlash like UT3 got with Gears styled chunky characters but I think this fear is having a negative affect here, I think we could still go larger that Taye by a reasonable margin and still end up smaller than Marcus Fenix in terms of proportions

P.S. I will be comparing the robots proportions to Gorge to see where I sit there so I really appreciate the side and front plain images, thanks
                  Last edited by MonsOlympus; 03-05-2016, 08:13 PM.
                  Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Hey 3Dmatic, long time no see! The whole thing you are missing is they are doing a mod and having fun doing it. Why are you trying to rain on their parade? That's what hobbyist level development is all about. Having fun and learning. It is separate from the core game development. That's the way it should be done. Do your own thing, make your own path. They are doing an Invasion mod. If they make cool enough stuff (and they are) somebody will help them with the other components and they will all have fun doing it.

You gain momentum and help by making cool stuff and wining people over with your work not your words. Stop waiting around for your perfect game development environment and create your own. We are all doing the best that we can. I hate to sound like a broken record but it's hard enough to coordinate with what we have internally so the community has to be self motivated, self managing, self helping. There are a million resources out there. No excuses. "Back in my day" we did it because we loved it and one day we hoped to do it for a living.

It has absolutely nothing to do with ego, it's just the harsh realities of game development. That's it. Stop it, seriously.
                    How am I raining down on their parade? I said the monster thread was nice and would benefit from being more organized? I asked Wail what he needed and am giving him a hand by modeling props. Maybe you feel it's fine if everyone does their own thing to later try to put things together, but some of us definitely share a different idea of what it means to have a modding community and/or be part of it. I'm not against people doing their own thing, that's essential. But I don't want people to have false hope that by creating random stuff that we'll be able to put it all together in a functional manner later on.
                    Last edited by 3Dmatic; 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
                      The thread is nice, but I'm more of the opinion that it highlights the weak point of the community at the moment. We got Wail. and MonsOlympus either doing C++ or Blueprint, actually getting playable stuff into the game and nobody is really giving them a hand, helping them out. Sure, it's nice to create monsters, but I doubt that anyone sat down thinking about what those monsters would do, how they would fight, what gameplay would be involved, etc. Just people creating stuff and hoping it will be used. Might be just me, but it seems disconnected from game development that requires people to put their ego in a box and work towards a common goal together. On the other hand, I understand that without motivation, it's hard to do anything - but what allows that is to put our ego in that box.
                      That a HUGE fear a lot of people have with the monsters in the making: however to help put these fears to rest, I'll let you know I've opened up a communications line with Wail in order to set the goals and priorities for Invasion so that the art design fits in with the eventual gameplay and vise-versa. It's still too early yet to decide on gameplay, but artwork takes a TON of time, it never hurts to get a head start.

Comment

Then that's fantastic.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION], much appreciated. It was an itch I really wanted to scratch so I did
                          Last edited by richardboegli; 03-05-2016, 09:52 PM.
                          Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

I just realized something. Metal Guard is Liandri affiliated faction (and Xan bodyguards) so we have to keep in mind that there is human based team which is apparently stronger than most of the Liandri bots. War Machine and The Corrupt are probably the only bots tougher than Metal Guard.
                            Unofficial Enforcer Model
                            Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

And what about to bring back the robotic Nali War Cow in this form? He looks like the nali cow, just in "doggy style" lol...

He is from "T.A."
                              Image removed by admin, over allowed size

Comment

Awesome work [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION]! I've been waiting for this Robot update. I'm sorry I missed it when it was hot off the presses. This tier 1 model is badass so naturally I can't wait to see where you take tier2 and 3. They'll have to be outrageously cool. I do prefer some of the shapes in Gooba's concept specifically the more aggressive head design but that head seems more appropriate for a tier 2 character. Anxiously awaiting to see what this guy looks like after you wrap up the next 20%!

Comment

Working...
                                X