• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
    Epic Please this the first Robot Char in the game please Please
    And the need to reach 100 lvl to get this skin

Comment

For me, the design is really cool, but as an UT character, it could work better. I'm wondering about the value of adding these "Phase 1" bots to the game. Would it be cool to be one of these guys? Would it feel satisfying to shoot them? I don't know, this guy looks almost friendly, it's difficult to see him as a menacing enemy. He also doesn't look that industrial, because he's very humanoid and completely symmetric

Just from reading your description of "Phase 3" - those are the guys I want to fight, or to be. "Phase 1" seems suitable for a single-player game where industrial robots go out of control, rather than an arena shooter where expert killers of biological and mechanical nature meet to prove which is the superior species.

Comment

Those robots will be a lot of fun to model! And please guys, stop bringing up that UT isn't unreal enough. The UT team chose a more grounded/realistic art style, it's not going to change. Please leave those rants for another more appropriate thread.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
          They'll be something for everybody. Henrik, how do you think we can do better? Can you provide examples as to what would be pleasing to you? I really like to discuss this stuff with as many visual examples as possible.
          The concept Fartuess reposted from another thread, (sorry forget the name of the dude who made it but Rick Kohler's been commenting on it I believe) is a good start, I mean when you use the idea of an LCD screen or holo screen to define the facial style that opens up all kinds of doors for changing the mood between simple industrial bot and a killing machine and in a way where we could interject more personality.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

The above is of course a more menacing example while the opposite end of the spectrum could be more like this or Chappie:

Click image for larger version

Name:	21453d1229491997-new-mechadroid-type-c3-robot-new-mechadroid-type-c3-robot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	343140

Note how much the feel of Chappie changes just changing his eyes from two dot matrix style squares to a full row:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I do prefer the following style of cyborg, and don't care if people say "that's too humanoid". I never understand why making it humanoid would be a bad thing, it still looks dangerous and plays further to the human fear of cyborgs actually threatening to replace humans as a superior race, which you don't get when they look like we built them, rather than having potentially even made enhancements to themselves:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Really, it's like Xan in that these look like they could be someone in a suit, or even part of a person... it's ambiguous in that way and that's a good thing. I don't want to feel like I'm staring down a bucket of bolts, which is the feeling the UT3 robots always gave me, and many of the 2kx ones too.
          Attached Files

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I feel like an arrogant piece of something, because i feel need to explain things to devs.

Phase 1 => Blood Fists
            Phase 2 => UT'99 The Corrupt aka Warmachine
            Phase 3 => Post UT2k4 The Corrupt.

The Corrupt (Xan's team) currently would be made mostly of Phase 3. Maybe one or two from Phase 2 would be able to keep up with them. If you look at UT2k4 The Corrupt you can figure out that those are both deadly machines and also pieces of art (well some of them... sorry Axon...). There is only one copy of every member. They are Xans bodyguards, teamates in Tournament who were created for his entertainment. They are not fighting force of Liandri Corporation.

Originally posted by Skaary View Post
            And the need to reach 100 lvl to get this skin
            Or pay 15 bucks. Yeah... great idea... You should apply to EA.
            Unofficial Enforcer Model
            Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Ja EA würde ich das echt zutrauen aber nicht Epic Games LVL 100 Skaary denn wenn eine neue Season beginnt bist du wieder LvL 1

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                Ja EA würde ich das echt zutrauen aber nicht Epic Games LVL 100 Skaary denn wenn eine neue Season beginnt bist du wieder LvL 1
                Du...
                Du hast...
                Du hast mich...
                Du hast mich gefragt...
                Du hast mich gefragt...
                Du hast mich gefragt und ich hab nichts gesagt.

But seriously speaking. I don't understand what you are saying. Why you suddenly started to write in german :P ?

Comment

Could be wrong, but maybe there should be a greater focus on robots as it might be easier for the community to make robots than AAA characters.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Fartuess. I changed the title and references to a more broad definition so people don't get hung up on inconsistent lore of past games. From now on we'll simply refer to them as UT4 Robots.

UT4 is considered a reboot so we aren't tied to any specific lore, although we will definitely pick cool stuff from past games to incorporate into the updated fiction.

3Dmatic, that's the goal. We want to provide another avenue for content creation. It is definitely easier to make top quality hard surface assets vs top quality character sculpts. Hopefully this thread inspires people to make their own if they are capable.
                    Last edited by YemYam; 12-10-2015, 03:13 PM.
                    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Sorry for being annoying and stubborn :P

Comment

this is so gonna be great amd when my ***** cybernetics come back too :3 my fav races

Comment

Cool Name for this Post YemYam when come the Robots in the Game?

Cooler Name für den Post YemYam wann kommen Roboter in das Spiel?

Comment

Could be cool to get some tips on robot articulations/animations to make sure that our robots can later be animated properly.

Comment

3dmatic, I will definitely post all of my articulation and animation findings as I work them out while modeling this first bot. I can't visualize it in my head first I have to build things, animate them, test them, etc. Once I have something I think has potential then I run it by the technical riggers and animators to ensure it will work. I'll be posting all the wips in this thread as I progress.
                              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Create you the Robot Char YemYam?

Comment

Working...
                                X