X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
    This robot could be member of Blood Fists but certainly not member of The Corrupt/Warmachine. You have to identify what is characteristic in The Corrupt faction and what makes them charismatic (in some way). They are menacing robots which bodies are shaped to resemble humans, but they are made from very raw materials. And little hinting - fact that they resemble humans is making them menacing. Are there element of human hidden in them?

This concept is what i could see on Polycount - robot concept which fits current robot design trends. Great art, but if found on that site... i would never think that it could be member of The Corrupt or even UT character. I would quicker believe that it is concept from Black Ops 3. Sorry.

We can do better than "robot concept which fits current robot design trends" i mentioned.

I'm not hugely attached to any particular look for 'The Corrupt,' besides Xan, but from the wet blanket perspective the above observation is spot on. This guy is so much more reminiscent of Blood Fist robots / cyborgs that even calling this anything else becomes confusing.

I completely understand why artistically having something in the concept art's style is more interesting to create, but as with the other missteps we've had artistically, the mapping of great artwork to proper and consistent game lore is off.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
    YemYam, are you going to work on any animation for this? In the particular case of that concept, it would be cool to see, in some circumstances, the shock absorbers / pistons of the abdominal area in function (unless those are not shock absorbers). For example, it could be appropriate during landing from a high platform.

That's a really good idea.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This robot could be member of Blood Fists but certainly not member of The Corrupt/Warmachine. You have to identify what is characteristic in The Corrupt faction and what makes them charismatic (in some way). They are menacing robots which bodies are shaped to resemble humans, but they are made from very raw materials. And little hinting - fact that they resemble humans is making them menacing. Are there element of human hidden in them?

This concept is what i could see on Polycount - robot concept which fits current robot design trends. Great art, but if found on that site... i would never think that it could be member of The Corrupt or even UT character. I would quicker believe that it is concept from Black Ops 3. Sorry.

What i would choose as direction for The Corrupt/Warmachine is this concept.

It is not exactly what i imagined but i think it is the only concept which fullfills the requirements. It has human proportions (even something resembling human muscle structure), it is built from raw materials, it looks menacing and it is unclear if skull is for style or are those human remains. Is human conciousness imprisoned by the AI? This is mystery. And The Corrupt is one of the factions which require some mystery to not fall flat like UT3 drones did. I would see this particular concept suit more for Warmachine (UT'99 Corrupt) because it is extremally raw and some UT2k4 corrupt members bodies looked like work of metalurgy artist (Enigma for example). Maybe even having subtle art deco vibe.

We can do better than "robot concept which fits current robot design trends" i mentioned.
    Last edited by Fartuess; 12-10-2015, 01:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    YemYam, are you going to work on any animation for this? In the particular case of that concept, it would be cool to see, in some circumstances, the shock absorbers / pistons of the abdominal area in function (unless those are not shock absorbers). For example, it could be appropriate during landing from a high platform.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great concept! Will be interesting seeing all the different kinds of robots and variations of robot characters that will be made in the future. Will be really cool seeing this character translate into 3D especially!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very nice guys!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Woah, that's really interesting! I'll wait for your models...

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction

UT4 Robot Faction

Hello all!

We are starting to explore designs for the UT4 Robot faction. This is the very beginning of the process and we are exploring visual design ideas.

Gooba has created the first concept working with Rick and I have starting roughing in the basic modeling. As always this will be an iterative, collaborative and evolving process. Nothing is final, this is just the beginning and I look forward to your feedback throughout the process.

The biggest thing to note is that we are going to have three main visual styles of robots. There will be many variants that come from this faction but starting out we are trying to focus on three distinct versions.

- Phase 1: WEAKEST - Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

- Phase 2: STRONGER - Multipurpose bots used for industrial or combat purposes. They have some utilitarian looking components and some exposed areas but it's obvious they have upgraded various parts to be more effective in combat. They should look a little chunkier and more armored.

- Phase 3: STRONGEST - Combat specific bots, the most powerful and deadly version. They have been engineered from the ground up to be the deadliest bots in the tournament. They have sleeker and more armored components and visually look like the strongest, toughest and meanest out of the three.

We are starting with the Phase 1 level bot so a very stripped down and industrial design. This version should be seen as the weakest and least prepared for combat. There are many exposed parts as it was created as a mining workhorse not a combat unit.

I will have first pass renders for the stream next wed 12_16 and I'll update this thread at the same time. Rick & Gooba will contribute to this thread regarding the concept and design. In the meantime please let us know what you think and if you have any ideas to share.

UPDATE:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my work in progress renders from the stream today. Comments, crits, questions welcome. I'll fold in as many changes as I can as long as it doesn't involve starting over.

Completely new ideas should be saved for a new thread, I'd like to keep this thread focused on improving what we have not discussing what we will do with future bots.

Attached Files
    Last edited by YemYam; 03-02-2016, 05:41 PM.
Working...
X