Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I will be taking a break from the weapons and modeling the first batch of robots.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

exchanged weapons next year wildcards? or at least

PS: Robots missing in the Game

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
        Yeah, I get the feeling that its inclusion is mainly to please the 2kx and UT3 crowds, but imo those designs were missteps, we can do better. This one is better but still not very UT to me.
        Remember this is just a Phase 1 robot. The 3 phase concept adds the potential for a wide variety. UT3 essentially had only one, very bland design with slight variations. This one is already better than that as you mention but let's wait and see what the Phase 2 and Phase 3 designs look like.
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
          Yes, I will be taking a break from the weapons and modeling the first batch of robots.
          Woot! Glad to see that you are going to have a breath of fresh air.

Comment

Can't wait to see this in game!

Comment

@ YemYam

Please consider this designs as inspiration as well ...

Originally posted by Shraznar View Post
              This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
              Originally posted by flou_cutepunk View Post
              This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Those are also great and have very much character for a robot design.
              ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                Remember this is just a Phase 1 robot.
                Yes, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. And remember that I'm not against the idea of the phase 1 robot itself. Here's the thing. If I say 2k4 or UT3 robots were a misstep, there seems to be this automatic reaction that I *must* want them to look exactly like the War Machines. That's not true, though I do want those options to be there, because they fit the game and have a huge following. I just happen to be one of those people. Now in theory, an industrial robot could fit UT, sure why not.

Also, here are some of the robot designs from 2kx that I thought worked better than others:

Widowmaker:

Enigma and Matrix:

And believe it or not, UT3's own "industrial bot" which was actually in the background of a level was almost more suitable than the actual player designs:

...if the limbs were more heroically proportioned, anyway.

Here are the problems I have with a design like the following:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

-Overflimsy midriff - looks easy to snap the whole character
                -Clumsy proportions - why are their forearms bigger than the waist?! And the shoulder pads bigger than the head??
                -Clawhands - how are they supposed to handle a gun?
                -Default colors - dominant white scheme is both dull and difficult to read.
                -Heads - zero personality - can't read what is supposed to be the face on the design on the right. Zero personality = boring to use, boring to have as my opponent.

The majority of the 2kx designs with the long heads weren't much better.

Hopefully this makes my position clearer.
                Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 12-10-2015, 06:41 PM.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

The OP activated my trouser actuators
                  "History is written by the victors"

Comment

I'm interested in knowing how bots will distinguish themselves as characters. I.e. When we play UT4 months from now, will we see military-themed Phase III bots wearing halloween hats because that's the way the content system has been designed? What is your plan for making robots that look good when they're wearing 2393 haute couture cardboard boxes?

Comment

Why would the robots be divided into 3 phases/tiers? Why would a mining robot compete against a far superior combat robot in the tournament? These tiers would be cool in some kind of PvE horde/single player mode but besides that... I don't know, seems weird to me. That said, I really like the concept art but I'm not sure if that's something you/we should focus on at this point. I'd rather see some "Phase 3" robots in that case (or whatever phase/tier the most efficient/successful tournament combat robot will be) and maybe put the other phases/tiers aside for now.

Comment

I'm hyped to see how the robots evolve from here, this looks like a really solid starting point. I'm especially loving the torso and head on this one.

I really dig the idea of having different tiers of robots. Whether that's just part of this visual development for them or if that's going to be a way of separating the robots out into different factions, I think it's really neat. I love the idea that perhaps whilst Liandri would put their most combat-ready robots in for the Corrupt team there would also be other corporations / factions putting in their own retrofitted industry bots as teams or even an entirely autonomous AI faction entering themselves into the tournament because they've become obsolete. Just like you have different leagues of skill in real sports, it makes sense that older industry robots wouldn't be in the top leagues but perhaps be on par with lower skilled teams of humans.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
                          I'm kind of on the side of the people asking that it look more sinister. I saw the original post and realize that this is supposed to be a mining robot or something, but I wonder why that would even be a good idea. I mean, from a convenience standpoint, it makes sense that these robots might "exist" in the universe, but they are just so devoid of style it makes me question if they are even worth adding to the game.

As a robot, it looks really good. As a UT character, I'm just not convinced.

^^ Simply put, I agree.

YemYam, I can see youre hyped on moveable parks like the pistons in the torso area, which from a modeler standpoint, would be pretty cool. But let's make a comparison here:

Looks good, looks functional, lots of detail possibilities.

Compared to...

Badass robot / cyborg, wanna see him coming for me, wanna shoot him, wanna BUY him!!

Scary looking, has that "cool" factor that would draw a crowd in and make them want to see.

Rusted up, battle scarred, sweet armor plating and neck brace.

I think the ULTIMATE test is if you imagine yourself as a 14 year old kid who probably isn't supposed to play violent video games. If you saw Xan, you'd be like HELL yeah, lemme check that out!!

Maybe take those same concepts you already have, and put them into a more "scary" lookin' bot? Imagine Xan or Axon with your pistons that you seem so hyped about in certain areas?

ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                          Frag video featuring Rookie
                          Frag video featuring Phantaci
                          Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

The robot tiers would be a cool way to visualize progression in a single player campaign. Civilian/miner robots being the novice bots, up to the godlike military class. I don't think it's out of place to have mining bots in the tournament, especially considering that many of the weapons originated as mining tools. It's fair to assume that mining bots would be the norm.
                            "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Hello all!

We are starting to explore designs for the UT4 Robot faction. This is the very beginning of the process and we are exploring visual design ideas.

I actually got out of bed because I saw this thread, was so excited and cannot type fast enough on phone.

Robots are AWESOME, its the reason I did Mechatronic Engineering.

Disclaimer: Haven't read through entire thread yet, so if you have answered, I'll edit my post.

- Phase 1: Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

While I'm a huge fan of biped robots (I've built a few), are we to be restricted to biped?

I was thinking a 6-axis robot arm on a wheeled platform. But given the example render of a biped robot I am thinking no?
                              They would still need some animation for getting in and out of vehicles and showing that they are dodging off walls, crouching etc....

When I think 6 axis robot arm, I think the older Fanuc model which look more "industrial"

The newer models have more industrial design refinement and are more pleasing to the eye:

If it has to be biped, then does the robot have to be anatomically correct? eg: Has to have a head, can only have two arms, two legs?
                              Think of Orbb from Quake 3 Arena / Quake Live, weapon was mounted above head

I need Yes / No answers for the following ASAP, so that I can get started on something
                              1) Biped only
                              2) Anatomically correct

Thanks!
                              Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

anatomically correct-no

Comment

Working...
                                X