This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    I need Yes / No answers for the following ASAP, so that I can get started on something
    1) Biped only
    2) Anatomically correct

Thanks!
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    The bots need to adhere to the same character skeleton and animations as the other characters
    See quote.

Comment

Originally posted by ptt.frmr View Post

I need Yes / No answers for the following ASAP, so that I can get started on something
      1) Biped only
      2) Anatomically correct

Thanks!
      The bots need to adhere to the same character skeleton and animations as the other characters so there are some limitations.
      See quote.
      Thanks for that. I did put a disclaimer that I hadn't read through the entire thread yet, but I wanted to put post up in case it wasn't mentioned before I had time to read through.

Disclaimer: Haven't read through entire thread yet, so if you have answered, I'll edit my post.
      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Perhaps the great design but maybe not the best character to play against could be improved by adding patchwork bolt-on armour. It seems a bit strange that mining droids would be capable of fighting in the arena without some modifications.

Adding some makeshift armour to them could make them more unique in personality. The phase 2 could be properly equiped for combat and the Phase 3 better equiped.
        Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
          ^^ Simply put, I agree.

YemYam, I can see youre hyped on moveable parks like the pistons in the torso area, which from a modeler standpoint, would be pretty cool. But let's make a comparison here:
          Please check his post in it's entirety (emphasis mine):

we are going to have three main visual styles of robots. There will be many variants that come from this faction but starting out we are trying to focus on three distinct versions.

- Phase 1: Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

- Phase 2: Multipurpose bots used for industrial or combat purposes. They have some utilitarian looking components and some exposed areas but it's obvious they have upgraded various parts to be more effective in combat. They should look a little chunkier and more armored.

- Phase 3: Combat specific bots, the most powerful and deadly version. They have been engineered from the ground up to be the deadliest bots in the tournament. They have sleeker and more armored components and visually look like the strongest, toughest and meanest out of the three.

We are starting with the Phase 1 level bot so a very stripped down and industrial design. This version should be seen as the weakest and least prepared for combat. There are many exposed parts as it was created as a mining workhorse not a combat unit.
          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

IMO this one looks too busy. Are the later phases going to look sleeker or less busy than this one?
            Also, a canon note: Xan Kriegor Mk. 1 seems to have been a Phase 2 bot, and all later versions (Mk. 2, Mk. 3, et al.) were Phase 3.
            Well, maybe there was another, earlier version that took part in the robot revolt on the asteroid LBX-7683, which was either Phase 2 or Phase 1, and the one that we see in UT99 might actually be Phase 3 (if it isn't 2, like mentioned earlier). But keep that in mind.
            Last edited by iLikeTheUDK; 12-11-2015, 12:21 PM.
            The new UT is coming along nicely...
            Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Wow, lot of great feedback in this thread. I see many people are as excited to see Pete tackle the androids as I am. Certainly one of the best things about my job is getting to work with artists like Pete (and others) who I was a fan of before even getting to Epic.

So a quick word or two about art direction and where we want to go with our characters and the androids specifically. Although I'd say most of the feedback here ranges from excited to apprehensively positive, I know there are a few of you who are disappointed with this direction.

One of the first things you realize when taking on any kind of lead role is that you can't make everyone happy and if you try too hard for that you're going to end up with something that's very diluted and lacking in any soul or character.The trick, IMO, is to pick a direction, one you're happy with, and go with it. Trust your instincts. Sounds easy but it's sometimes very hard.

One thing we realized when thinking about the characters and things like progression is that characters need room to grow. To become more awesome over time. If a character starts out with all the bells and whistles there's very little room to expand on that. That being said, we don't want to start people off as peons either. The base character has to A) still look awesome and B) set the tone for all characters of that faction/race going forward.

With the androids specifically we decided early on that we really wanted them to look like androids and not be easily mistaken for guys in power suits or cyborgs. There's room for those types of characters (I love cyborg characters) but we wanted our robots to be very distinguishable as robots.

Can a simple mining robot become more awesome over time? Can he (it) become more intimidating in appearance? Can he become more menacing without the benefit of things like facial expressions? These are all things we want to find out.

This is certainly a step away from some of the earlier versions of the game and although, like a lot of you guys, I loved those games, I don't think we should be shackled by them or be afraid to take a new direction where we feel the need to.

I hope by explaining our thought process here that there's less confusion and fewer people feeling as if we're not listening to their ideas. I read almost everything in the art forums (good and bad) and I try to take in as much feedback as I can. My next hope is, if possible, to win over most of the critics. We definitely want you on board. We appreciate passion and try to never discourage it.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

We could create and share a whole library of subd assets (kit bashing) for the creation of robots and metal materials.
                Last edited by 3Dmatic; 12-11-2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
                  One of the first things you realize when taking on any kind of lead role is that you can't make everyone happy and if you try too hard for that you're going to end up with something that's very diluted and lacking in any soul or character.
                  The trick, IMO, is to pick a direction, one you're happy with, and go with it.
                  Trust your instincts.
                  Sounds easy but it's sometimes very hard.
                  This is a quote that can be cited in a lot of instances through out the development of a game.

Ruling by committee can only get you so far and sometimes can actually hamper the progress.

This is why creating the right team can be very hard, you need the right people who are able to make these instinct calls.

The ability to make instinct calls are built from previous successes and failures.

"Right or wrong, you have to make a decision. Lack of a decision is the decision to do nothing." - Richard Boegli
                  Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Wow, lot of great feedback in this thread. I see many people are as excited to see Pete tackle the androids as I am. Certainly one of the best things about my job is getting to work with artists like Pete (and others) who I was a fan of before even getting to Epic.

(...)

I hope by explaining our thought process here that there's less confusion and fewer people feeling as if we're not listening to their ideas. I read almost everything in the art forums (good and bad) and I try to take in as much feedback as I can. My next hope is, if possible, to win over most of the critics. We definitely want you on board. We appreciate passion and try to never discourage it.

Oh I GET it - you can't make everyone happy all the time, and you want to make something NEW that has potential to grow from a little puny bot to something scary with add-ons and stuff. Sounds like a good idea on paper.

But you gotta make the BASE version enticing enough so that It gets the inner pre-teen in me pumped about seeing it in action, makes me wanna know more about it, and makes me wanna BUY it. It needs a little more "90's comic book", and less "serious, practical, logical".

How could that be accomplished? Maybe something as easy as changing the face to something more menacing, or the color scheme to something else, Look at what happens when I do both of those things:

Face goes from "neutral" to "scary", color scheme goes from "nature" to "aaahhh hes coming for me!"

Which one is a teenage kid going to see for the first time and become a fan of?
                    Attached Files
                    ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                    Frag video featuring Rookie
                    Frag video featuring Phantaci
                    Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
                      Oh I GET it - you can't make everyone happy all the time, and you want to make something NEW that has potential to grow from a little puny bot to something scary with add-ons and stuff. Sounds like a good idea on paper.

But you gotta make the BASE version enticing enough so that It gets the inner pre-teen in me pumped about seeing it in action, makes me wanna know more about it, and makes me wanna BUY it. It needs a little more "90's comic book", and less "serious, practical, logical".

How could that be accomplished? Maybe something as easy as changing the face to something more menacing, or the color scheme to something else, Look at what happens when I do both of those things:

Face goes from "neutral" to "scary", color scheme goes from "nature" to "aaahhh hes coming for me!"

Which one is a teenage kid going to see for the first time and become a fan of?
                      I think if there's gonna be advertisement, its gonna have the scary robots on it.
                      What I'm seeing is that bots will scale up depending on what difficulty you play against them on, (A star for a phase for challenges).
                      This way playing lower difficulties may feel a lot more casual, while when your skill level is high enough to take on tougher enemies, you can see how much more intimidating they are.

It also provides a nice bit of lore, which I enjoy, and if there will ever be a campaign, it will do a good job there.

Comment

90s comic books were good for their time, but we definitely aren't in the 90s anymore

Comment

Maybe 2010s comic books, then? Let's look at Marvel and DC comic books from recent years, preferably ones featuring robots and/or cyborgs?
                          The new UT is coming along nicely...
                          Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Im not really getting a sense that the concept in the OP is an industrial robot, unfortunately there is abit of a conflict here between using the existing rig and that ideal. The thing with industrial equipment is it tends to be designed for a purpose and with that design ideology the human form is inefficient. Lets take the example of a forklift, its designed to lift heavy loads where a human isnt, to make a humanoid forklift makes the job of designing a vehicle to lift weighs harder than it needs to be. Im guessing we are going for the Liandri robotics robots here not the Automatons who I would expect to actually be alittle more humanoid in some respects but if Liandri are heading towards android I think that could make sense as to why the robots look more humanoid, even if some are geared towards industry.

Edit:
                            Removed images incase they broke forum rules.
                            Last edited by MonsOlympus; 01-14-2016, 09:44 AM. Reason: Removed images incase they broke forum rules.
                            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

So a quick word or two about art direction and where we want to go with our characters and the androids specifically. Although I'd say most of the feedback here ranges from excited to apprehensively positive, I know there are a few of you who are disappointed with this direction.

One of the first things you realize when taking on any kind of lead role is that you can't make everyone happy and if you try too hard for that you're going to end up with something that's very diluted and lacking in any soul or character.The trick, IMO, is to pick a direction, one you're happy with, and go with it. Trust your instincts. Sounds easy but it's sometimes very hard.

One thing we realized when thinking about the characters and things like progression is that characters need room to grow. To become more awesome over time. If a character starts out with all the bells and whistles there's very little room to expand on that. That being said, we don't want to start people off as peons either. The base character has to A) still look awesome and B) set the tone for all characters of that faction/race going forward.

With the androids specifically we decided early on that we really wanted them to look like androids and not be easily mistaken for guys in power suits or cyborgs. There's room for those types of characters (I love cyborg characters) but we wanted our robots to be very distinguishable as robots.

Can a simple mining robot become more awesome over time? Can he (it) become more intimidating in appearance? Can he become more menacing without the benefit of things like facial expressions? These are all things we want to find out.

This is certainly a step away from some of the earlier versions of the game and although, like a lot of you guys, I loved those games, I don't think we should be shackled by them or be afraid to take a new direction where we feel the need to.

Excellent explanation This info should be in the OP
                              Stevie's corner
                              Maps : DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                              Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                                Im not really getting a sense that the concept in the OP is an industrial robot, unfortunately there is abit of a conflict here between using the existing rig and that ideal. The thing with industrial equipment is it tends to be designed for a purpose and with that design ideology the human form is inefficient.
                                Good point.
                                Soft counter: I don't think humanoid mining robots could be too unrealistic. Assuming Liandri already had galactic infrastructure set up for humans to be mining (handheld mining tools, mining vehicles, transport, etc), robotic humanoids would be entirely backwards compatible with that system with none of the fleshy down sides. The sci-fi geek in me thinks Liandri would have advanced robotics before achieving that level of galactic sprawl, but...Lore-wise it would be a poignant statement if the displacement of human miners by these robots lead to increased participation in the tournaments. Though I may be reading in to it too much
                                "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Working...
                                X