• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by RE-D View Post
    Um... small piece of feedback from me.

Spoiler

I think you're right. We have a tiny problem to solve.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Um... small piece of feedback from me.

Spoiler
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=217941]SVirus[/MENTION]

Ehy, good ideas!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I was super happy when I found out last year in 2015 UT4 was starting to develop robot characters.
    Because I loved how the robots spiced up the UT99 game matches with their intimidating machine metal and wires appearances, freaky digital non-human voices, pre-programmed emotions and thoughts and they were the highest skilled bot opponents hardest to kill which made them scary killing machines to fight against. (knowing you have progressed to a skill level able to verse these killer robots is a good feeling as a player I think)

I love the current direction and progress of the first UT4 robot designs in development, even when they are restricted to the main skeleton design. As a player I think these robots are visually less intimidating which is great for one robot character design. Less intimidating only because of the one barrel seen on the chest and the one barrel seen on the lower back. (And maybe the thin body waist as well). As a player in a tournament I think those two barrels make the robot look like it has two weak spots on its body to aim for first to slow it down and to destroy it faster. Compared to if there were no barrels or if the barrels were safely behind strong thick armour making the robot look like it has no weak spots at all, impossible to destroy, visually intimidating the player more into defeat with each and every confrontation. And more rewarding for the player who kills the robot.

So I hope the second robot character design to come will look indestructible with no visual weaknesses at all.

And maybe the second robot design has an appearance of it wanting you to find it easily and it wanting you to see it easily in dark environments so the robot can kill the players faster and the robot to win the match faster because the robot thinks it is superior to all organic life forms. The robot could have glowing/flashing lights or glow in the dark body parts, showing it's dominance over the players by not needing to hide in dark corners to win. And so confident skilled players who want to visually stand out in a match can have their opponents find them faster potentially getting into more battles and more kills. (Are the robots only going to be bots or can people play as the robots?) But players may end up avoiding the dominate looking robot being counter productive to its main purpose, so I really don't know what would happen. Good opportunity to test while still in the Pre Alpha Stage I suppose.

Keep up the great work everyone, Unreal Tournament 4 Pre Alpha robots look amazing so far.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm really hoping I don't have to grind levels just to play these bots.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Still not sure if we should fully commit for specific Xan concept yet. Some "proofs of concepts" could be usefull, i thought about creating some blockout for Xans head, to push discussion further, but i'm already too slow in making Enforcer skin. At the moment i think it would be better to model Yellow Robot from Shranzar concept.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just wondering if we know someone is blocking out that Xan concept?? Looking to possibly help on this one.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome work [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION]! I've been waiting for this Robot update. I'm sorry I missed it when it was hot off the presses. This tier 1 model is badass so naturally I can't wait to see where you take tier2 and 3. They'll have to be outrageously cool. I do prefer some of the shapes in Gooba's concept specifically the more aggressive head design but that head seems more appropriate for a tier 2 character. Anxiously awaiting to see what this guy looks like after you wrap up the next 20%!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    And what about to bring back the robotic Nali War Cow in this form? He looks like the nali cow, just in "doggy style" lol...

He is from "T.A."

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just realized something. Metal Guard is Liandri affiliated faction (and Xan bodyguards) so we have to keep in mind that there is human based team which is apparently stronger than most of the Liandri bots. War Machine and The Corrupt are probably the only bots tougher than Metal Guard.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    PS - Very cool bot richardboegli! It won't work for pvp for reasons already discussed but as an enemy for a single player experience I think it could be pretty cool. The thread started by KazeoHin-TechAE is one of my favs because everybody can go crazy and make whatever they want since it will all fold into an invasion mod.
    Thanks for the feedback [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION], much appreciated. It was an itch I really wanted to scratch so I did
    Last edited by richardboegli; 03-05-2016, 09:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Then that's fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by 3Dmatic View Post
    The thread is nice, but I'm more of the opinion that it highlights the weak point of the community at the moment. We got Wail. and MonsOlympus either doing C++ or Blueprint, actually getting playable stuff into the game and nobody is really giving them a hand, helping them out. Sure, it's nice to create monsters, but I doubt that anyone sat down thinking about what those monsters would do, how they would fight, what gameplay would be involved, etc. Just people creating stuff and hoping it will be used. Might be just me, but it seems disconnected from game development that requires people to put their ego in a box and work towards a common goal together. On the other hand, I understand that without motivation, it's hard to do anything - but what allows that is to put our ego in that box.
    That a HUGE fear a lot of people have with the monsters in the making: however to help put these fears to rest, I'll let you know I've opened up a communications line with Wail in order to set the goals and priorities for Invasion so that the art design fits in with the eventual gameplay and vise-versa. It's still too early yet to decide on gameplay, but artwork takes a TON of time, it never hurts to get a head start.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    Hey 3Dmatic, long time no see! The whole thing you are missing is they are doing a mod and having fun doing it. Why are you trying to rain on their parade? That's what hobbyist level development is all about. Having fun and learning. It is separate from the core game development. That's the way it should be done. Do your own thing, make your own path. They are doing an Invasion mod. If they make cool enough stuff (and they are) somebody will help them with the other components and they will all have fun doing it.

You gain momentum and help by making cool stuff and wining people over with your work not your words. Stop waiting around for your perfect game development environment and create your own. We are all doing the best that we can. I hate to sound like a broken record but it's hard enough to coordinate with what we have internally so the community has to be self motivated, self managing, self helping. There are a million resources out there. No excuses. "Back in my day" we did it because we loved it and one day we hoped to do it for a living.

It has absolutely nothing to do with ego, it's just the harsh realities of game development. That's it. Stop it, seriously.
    How am I raining down on their parade? I said the monster thread was nice and would benefit from being more organized? I asked Wail what he needed and am giving him a hand by modeling props. Maybe you feel it's fine if everyone does their own thing to later try to put things together, but some of us definitely share a different idea of what it means to have a modding community and/or be part of it. I'm not against people doing their own thing, that's essential. But I don't want people to have false hope that by creating random stuff that we'll be able to put it all together in a functional manner later on.
    Last edited by 3Dmatic; 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X