This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoshuaMarlow View Post
    90s comic books were good for their time, but we definitely aren't in the 90s anymore
    90s are now retro. And that makes it even cooler.
    Unofficial Enforcer Model
    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
      Great comments everybody!

For me personally I can't start to answer any of these questions until I start making it. Until I'm working out problems in the reality of 3d everything else is just theory crafting which can only get you so far. I definitely understand everybody's pros/cons/concerns but I think Gooba's concept is a great starting place. As I stated in the beginning we are doing three distinct visual styles. If this style isn't your thing then wait to see what Phase 2 & 3 look like.

You don't need to wait for me to get to that point if you want to go straight to evil cyborg dude, start modeling yourself or find somebody that knows how to model and convince them to model it. Bots are one area of UT that I think a ton of variety will fit within the universe. All of the concepts posted in this thread are cool but the hard part (and incredibly time consuming part) is bringing that idea into reality by modeling it.

I've said it many times in the weapon forum but the concept is just the starting point, the guiding idea, the inspiration. Translating things into 3d and more importantly adhering to our technical and gameplay restraints is challenging enough without second guessing our starting point.

Let me get first pass of geometry and functionality done, I'll kick some renders then everybody can pile on and tell me how to make it better - not how to start again from scratch.
      Ya know, i gotta admit, you DO have a point....

I'll still stand by most of the things we've all said in the forums, but I guess we can all remember that we're not necessarily gonna be stuck with the relatively uninspiring ut3 bots again.

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
      I really think you're going to like the end result.
      Y'all are nerds just like us, so i have no doubt youre gona make something interesting, and technically impressive. We just hope it's COOL, too!!
      Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-11-2015, 06:05 PM.
      ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
      Frag video featuring Rookie
      Frag video featuring Phantaci
      Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
        90s are now retro. And that makes it even cooler.
        Sweet! I have dibs on the Saved by the Bell level

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
          Why are low-level mining robots SELECTED to fight in a high-profile deathmatch tournament, which is supposed to be making money?
          The same could be said about noobs who are picking up UT for the first time and don't know how to move and aim at the same time Before a tournament there is a lot of training. The mining bots could serve a purpose like training drones; easing new warriors into the tempo of tournament life, so their gray matter isn't shredded by unnecessary respawns before it's even clear if they have potential as high profile combatants.
          "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Originally posted by histortion View Post
            The same could be said about noobs who are picking up UT for the first time and don't know how to move and aim at the same time Before a tournament there is a lot of training. The mining bots could serve a purpose like training drones; easing new warriors into the tempo of tournament life, so their gray matter isn't shredded by unnecessary respawns before it's even clear if they have potential as high profile combatants.

Yeah, that does make sense....

Is UT gonna have an optional offline intro training session populated by these things? Are these things gonna populate the offline low-level challenge, or online deathmatch games when there arent enough players? I dunno, I guess we'll see!!
            Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-11-2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
              without it getting you too bent out of shape.
              lol, I can assure you I'm far from that point.

I really think you're going to like the end result.
              Looking forward to it

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                You're saying this as if it's over...
                Not over, of course, but it was a focus much earlier than characters. "First weapon phase" then, is that better? :P

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Awesome possum.

Comment

Why are low-level mining robots SELECTED to fight
                    This low-level mining robot could still grab your head and rip it off in a second. There is a thin as rails, necrified girl in the game right now ya know. I know, she's a trained killer...
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Gegen wann können wir mit der Robot fraction in UT rechnen?

Comment

I guess my concern is that sticking to strictly to 1 initial concept could be bad, concepts are fairly flexible but the model is less so depending on the amount of hours spent on it. I personally like to do rough shapes in 3d instead of painting but thats because Im better at visualizing 3d, I hope that it doesnt get stuck on the 1 concept and becomes inflexible because too many hours have been spent on it, Id rather see a few roughs in different directions before anything is anywhere near final.

I suppose its too early and if this does go the same way the weapons do its not a huge worry as people, including Gooba, will paint over and include their thoughts on direction. Its certainly easier to paint over when you can pick any angle using a 3d model, it might even be worth sharing some of the rough raw assets instead of just the finals that get put in the engine so people can model over the top in different directions too
                        Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Maybe we should start also discussing voices for them?
                          The new UT is coming along nicely...
                          Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Why are low-level mining robots SELECTED to fight in a high-profile deathmatch tournament, which is supposed to be making money?
                            I'm totally sure that tier 2 and 3 of these bots are gonna be scary and cool, so maybe we're just getting off on the wrong foot here with the introduction of the puny one first.
                            Because robotics is about more than looks and competitions are about more than just the competition.
                            Auto racing is not just about going fast, its about R&D in extreme conditions.

So you have mining robots who are already capable of working along side humans or in place of humans in dangerous environments, but you want to work on security robotics, combat drone ai, and improve hazard detection and avoidance in all models. Do you built a whole new chassis, or just revamp the AI system and use an existing production model with some modifications?

Lets say you have combat AI system which by all simulations is good, but you haven't been able to field test it yet in an uncontrolled live fire situation, but you want to drum up interest in your upcoming line of combat bots. You also own a deathmatch tournament.

Eventually you'll build out the tournament only model, but there's also no reason to scrap an effective testbed.

Comment

The ONE thing I don't understand is that according to the Unreal Tournament lore:

I'll repeat the most important part: "The professional league was formed; A cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament."

[FONT=Verdana]Why are low-level mining robots SELECTED to fight in a high-profile deathmatch tournament, which is supposed to be making money? Think about WWE, or UFC - high skill, and even more importantly, big names / personalities bring in the bucks, not jobbers. I know UT is just a game, and Epic is FAMOUS for not pinning themselves down with lore details, but just consider that this is one of the many things that gave UT such a "cool" factor back in the day, as opposed to something like Shootmania, which is sterile and boring IMO.
                              In UT'99 there were lower leagues filled with convicts. UT'99 Deathmtch league was filled mostly of those people. Basically someone to train on for young tournament participants. Also lower tier robots can be rogue AIs (pretty much Blood Fists background) which are now utilized as tournament members.
                              Unofficial Enforcer Model
                              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
                                Because robotics is about more than looks and competitions are about more than just the competition.
                                Auto racing is not just about going fast, its about R&D in extreme conditions.

So you have mining robots who are already capable of working along side humans or in place of humans in dangerous environments, but you want to work on security robotics, combat drone ai, and improve hazard detection and avoidance in all models. Do you built a whole new chassis, or just revamp the AI system and use an existing production model with some modifications?

Lets say you have combat AI system which by all simulations is good, but you haven't been able to field test it yet in an uncontrolled live fire situation, but you want to drum up interest in your upcoming line of combat bots. You also own a deathmatch tournament.

Eventually you'll build out the tournament only model, but there's also no reason to scrap an effective testbed.

I think we're getting pretty darn far into hypotheticals, but I really only have myself to blame for going there in the first place.

The point I was trying to make was that visuals really help bring in a new audience with that "cool" factor, which I wasnt getting from the concept art, as logically sound and visually technical as it was.

But also like I said, I have a feeling that the mistake the art team made wasn't necessarily what theyre coming up with, but rather how they presented it to us, giving vague context and asking for "feedback" (which we gave them, but not the kind they maybe asked for). I think people in this community gave some pretty decent lore / backstory, though.

The concept art does look impressive in its OWN right, so we'll see where this goes!!
                                Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-12-2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X