This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
    In UT'99 there were lower leagues filled with convicts. UT'99 Deathmtch league was filled mostly of those people. Basically someone to train on for young tournament participants. Also lower tier robots can be rogue AIs (pretty much Blood Fists background) which are now utilized as tournament members.

Haha everyone is latching on to my hypothetical questions, and providing some pretty solid sounding lore. Like I just responded to someone else, I think we were just missing some CONTEXT from which to give feedback from. If the art team stated all this backstory that you guys are laying out, and gathered our minds into a shared viewpoint in which we could make an assessment, it would be easier to give the kind of "feedback" that they were looking for.

You, and lots of other people in this thread have been spinning some pretty decent sounding context / backstory to these things that sounds pretty good. Hope it gets paid attention to!!
    Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-12-2015, 03:36 PM.
    ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
    Frag video featuring Rookie
    Frag video featuring Phantaci
    Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Bin mal auf den letzten Live Stream von diesem Jahr am Mittwoch gespannt

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
        Haha everyone is latching on to my hypothetical questions, and providing some pretty solid sounding lore. Like I just responded to someone else, I think we were just missing some CONTEXT from which to give feedback from. If the art team stated all this backstory that you guys are laying out, and gathered our minds into a shared viewpoint in which we could make an assessment, it would be easier to give the kind of "feedback" that they were looking for.

You, and lots of other people in this thread have been spinning some pretty decent sounding context / backstory to these things that sounds pretty good. Hope it gets paid attention to!!
        The convict/lower league thing is actual lore from the UT99 "campaign" (sans actually having robots). That said, UT4 is continuing the lore of UT3 and discarding the previous games, so we'd best come up with a different (and more esports-ready) explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
          That said, UT4 is continuing the lore of UT3 and discarding the previous games...
          Nope!

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
          UT4 is considered a reboot so we aren't tied to any specific lore, although we will definitely pick cool stuff from past games to incorporate into the updated fiction.
          I think we can re-imagine the complete lore and add what ever was cool from the previous games.
          ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

The ONE thing I don't understand is that according to the Unreal Tournament lore...."The professional league was formed; A cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament."

Why are low-level mining robots SELECTED to fight in a high-profile deathmatch tournament, which is supposed to be making money?
            I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself by posting this (more news about story/canon later) but here's the relevant part of the story as it currently stands:

Rebelling against their “oppressive and abusive human creators”, robotic workers mutiny and take control of planetoid LBX-7683 in the Erican Cluster, claiming it as their own sovereign world. The Liandri Mining Corporation sends in a secuirty squad to disable the facility’s AI cores and recover corporate property. Having proved their capability for violence, the now-sentient machines are inserted into a stasis matrix and reprogrammed. The leader of the robot force, self-named Xan Kriegor, resists multiple memory wipes but eventually succumbs to reprogramming.

In an attempt to control violence among deep space miners, the New Earth Government legalizes “no-holds-barred fighting”, called Deathmatch. The Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, establishes a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fights’ popularity grow with their brutality. Liandri quickly discovers that the public matches are their most profitable enterprise. The Professional League is formed, a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a grand tournament.

Liandri pulls the LBX-7683 robots out of stasis and reprograms them to compete in the Tournament. Known as The Corrupt, the team is led by the now infamous Xan Kriegor. After a stunning victory in the Tournament, rumors circulate that Xan has been enhanced by Liandri’s experimental cybernetics, successfully merging human DNA with robotic technology to create a sentient being capable of independent learning, a true AI.

(PRESENT DAY) 50 years have passed since the founding of Deathmatch. Profits from the Tournament number in the hundreds of billions. Xan Kriegor has won every tournament since his introduction, and has established a cult-like following. FenTech, Inc. has entered a new team into the Tournament known as Thundercrash, and its captain, Malcolm, is rumored to be the first real challenger capable of unseating Xan.

Now, this is not 100% official canon as of yet (again, more on that later), but it should give you the sense of where we're going. Think of this game as a franchise reboot rather than a continuation of the existing story. That meants that these bots are the very first ones introduced into the Tournament. They are industrial equipment that has (mysteriously?? dun dun dunnnnn) become self aware; they are NOT purpose built combat bots, and (outside of Xan) they are NOT cybernetic as much as they are still robotic. Has Liandri been up to something, or was this truly a serendipitous accident that they're capitalizing on?
            Last edited by Entropy; 12-14-2015, 10:52 AM.
            Jim Brown
            @EntropicDev
            Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
              self-named Xan Kriegor
              Whoa! This bit saved me just in time from doing a mistake in uWarfare... So glad you posted it
              uWarfare :: Website :: devART :: Italian UEd Community @ Exiles of UEd

Comment

@Entropy
                Is there lore specific thread here? Few things are kinda colliding with my lore knowledge. Wasn't Thunder Crash team owned by NEG?

Edit:
                Checked. Acording to Liandri Archives team is strongly affiliated with NEG but it's unknown if NEG owns Thunder Crash. FenTech is only responsible of increasing Malcolms fighting capabilities. Their other project was Zanna from Venom team, so we can assume they are not owning any team, but rather are hired by team owners.
                Last edited by Fartuess; 12-14-2015, 01:47 PM.
                Unofficial Enforcer Model
                Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

There is no OFFICIAL lore thread yet, but I'll probably start one soon. We're rallying around a central idea, and hope to have something to present in the new year, maybe sooner.

I will say this: throw out any and all preconceived notions. We took the UT99 intro as canon and moved forward from there. We don't intend to retcon everything (or anything in particular) but we purposefully aren't fussing over inconsistencies or individual bits that people might get hung up on from their favorite character/color/gun/faction/dessert.
                  Jim Brown
                  @EntropicDev
                  Epic Games

Comment

Wow, as totally bonked as UT's lore is between the games, someone at epic actually acknowledges it O_O

I also have to admit, I've been checkmated in my "complaints" (aka: nitpicking). Y'all got me, especially Entropy. HOWEVER, if I'm going to try and save face here, the reason i brought it all up in the first place was because it LOOKS like it can believably be a humanoid mining robot, which creates a couple problems:

The robot's face, although it looks totally functional and aesthetically pleasing, doesn't quite get a reaction out of me. I think it's because of the one big eye. I just see it as an object. Of course, it IS a robot and all, but we're all humans, and you gotta take in to account what humans already associate with scariness: Small, thin eyes. Maybe just take that one big eye, split it into two, and make the eyes thinner so they emulate a "scowl"?

Secondly, the according to "color-wheel-pro.com", color green is associated with:
                    Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money.Green has great healing power. It is the most restful color for the human eye; it can improve vision. Green suggests stability and endurance. Sometimes green denotes lack of experience; for example, a 'greenhorn' is a novice. In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope. Green, as opposed to red, means safety; it is the color of free passage in road traffic

Green is more acceptable when someone like Taye is wearing it, because hes already got a mean scarred scary face on. Xan Kriegor as well, who also has thick and imposing body attributes. Combine green with a neutral face and a thinner body, and it doesnt do much. Maybe try another color, like shiny silver or shiny brass. mmmmm yesssss just imagine the green replaced with shiny brass, yesssssss.

OOORRRR maybe I'm just shouting at the winds here, because maybe version 2 and 3 will have this stuff implemented. I dunno, I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-14-2015, 03:43 PM.
                    ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
                    Frag video featuring Rookie
                    Frag video featuring Phantaci
                    Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

I would hazard a educated guess that phase two and three design styles of robots would feature more evolved faces.

Comment

Wow, as totally bonked as UT's lore is between the games, someone at epic actually acknowledges it O_O

I also have to admit, I've been checkmated in my "complaints" (aka: nitpicking). Y'all got me, especially Entropy. HOWEVER, if I'm going to try and save face here, the reason i brought it all up in the first place was because it LOOKS like it can believably be a humanoid mining robot, which creates a couple problems:

The robot's face, although it looks totally functional and aesthetically pleasing, doesn't quite get a reaction out of me. I think it's because of the one big eye. I just see it as an object. Of course, it IS a robot and all, but we're all humans, and you gotta take in to account what humans already associate with scariness: Small, thin eyes. Maybe just take that one big eye, split it into two, and make the eyes thinner so they emulate a "scowl"?

Secondly, the according to "color-wheel-pro.com", color green is associated with:
                        Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with money.[/FONT][/COLOR]Green has great healing power. It is the most restful color for the human eye; it can improve vision. Green suggests stability and endurance. Sometimes green denotes lack of experience; for example, a 'greenhorn' is a novice. In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope. Green, as opposed to red, means safety; it is the color of free passage in road traffic

Green is more acceptable when someone like Taye is wearing it, because hes already got a mean scarred scary face on. Xan Kriegor as well, who also has thick and imposing body attributes. Combine green with a neutral face and a thinner body, and it doesnt do much. Maybe try another color, like shiny silver or shiny brass. mmmmm yesssss just imagine the green replaced with shiny brass, yesssssss.

OOORRRR maybe I'm just shouting at the winds here, because maybe version 2 and 3 will have this stuff implemented. I dunno, I'm just sayin'.
                        Do robots need eyes? Maybe it doesn't even have eyes. Why not give robots 4 eyes? Maybe it's just a lamp?

Why do you think something needs 2 scowling eyes to be menacing? The designer of the Xenomorph in the Alien franchise designed it to have no eyes because he felt it would be scarier if you couldn't tell where it was looking, or if it could even see at all.

Color symbolism is an interesting subject but it's not something to live your life by. Why can't the robot be green just because that's the paint the factory uses? Maybe it's regulation that all mining robots are color coded green? Why does it have to mean anything?
                        ___

I don't think people should be trying to pick apart the concept art at all. Wait for the model! Concept art is something that just gives a visual direction to work and move forwards from. I see a lot of the same people arguing about the visuals, and it's clear that there's still the two large camps of people on these boards who are trying to push everything towards either being like UT99 or being like 2k4 and ignoring the obvious direction the game is already taking instead of trying and make their ideas work with it. The Necris thread turned into a 10 page argument with only about 3 people actually trying to contribute ideas and concepts. Everybody piling in and trying to have 'their say' just pollutes the discussion and devolves it into an argument between the usual few people who wants stuff to look like UT99 or UT2k4 because of completely personal tastes and opinions. I'd love to see this thread be different.
                        Last edited by Mangley; 12-14-2015, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I don't either see the point in having to make the robots humanoid looking, I personally enjoyed the UT2k4's robot design of Syzygy, Thorax and Widowmaker. (The others reminded me too much of "Alien" movies alien look design wise). Both can be equally appealing design-wise, it's just matter of execution/design.
                          Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 12-14-2015, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of that design for what you're apparently aiming, it is indeed an awesome concept art, but I don't see a "mining" or industrial robot in it.

They're supposed to do their works in rather difficult environments and conditions that might be rather harsh for humans (and maybe for some other races). This robot seems a little too slim and not strong enough for such tasks. Without necessarly giving him armoured parts, you might try with something a little more bulky ? Kind of a metallic juggernaut. Also I wonder about the fingers. What if they got only three, but stronger one ? They still can handle tools, but they could also need to directly use their hands to move some heavy objects that don't necessarly require equipment (like a big rock for exemple).
                            I also think that the head lacks a little of personality. I'm not certain however, do you want to make this a unique character amongst other unique competitors ? Or is it rather something generic, as it was just mass produced ?

Color symbolism is an interesting subject but it's not something to live your life by. Why can't the robot be green just because that's the paint the factory uses? Maybe it's regulation that all mining robots are color coded green? Why does it have to mean anything?
                            Actually colors also convey some messages, and are also choosen for practical purpose. For exemple you use bright yellow or orange to easily signal where you are in dark environments, or that you're working in a job that can prove dangerous and need security. You use green to effectively indicate that you can be related with medicine, or maybe to blend in nature when on military operation. It won't be surprising that even in UT they use a color "code", and it seems that a majority of the characters are (or at least were) humans, or designed by humans. It's not totally wrong that they use similar colors as us.
                            So yeah I think yellow could fit very well.

Hope that it helped even a little. I really like all the concepts I see on these forums (even if do not always agree with them all).

Comment

It doesn't have to be humanoid facially, but the point is psychological. I'll repeat my most relevant quote from earlier "I don't want to feel like I'm staring down a bucket of bolts" ...but rather, something sentient. It could certainly be more inspired by something alienish, just... why does a mining robot have to be a toaster with arms and legs.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Why not... I personally like that design, and probably so do others. And for a "phase 1" charater in its first pass concept, it would work well. And, such toaster fully allows a character customization system with all that mechy parts to make him look like XAN-type-of-anger-level. Think about something like this (with UT styled parts; but also humanoid ones :P):
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4lzKd74mGc
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krs0fsagvYQ

If Epic release the character model. the community can create their own character piece sto combine with others. Just like it work in UT3 for instance.

Maybe they have to remake OMF robots :P to have something very new and very different.
                                Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 12-14-2015, 07:17 PM.
                                ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                                ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Working...
                                X