This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    That's one definition that fits I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    I am just getting tired of seeing people get hung up on comparisons to old sci-fi. There is no completely original design out there, everything borrows or is subtly influenced by everything else. It's what you do with it and how you bring all these elements together imo that makes it good or not.
    Actually the new model is more a copy of one of the halo spartans turned into a robot, than a cylon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Firstly - i really like change of direction made with robot. The one thing i'm afraid of is that with same exact animations as human characters it might look too close to human, yet artificial giving the impression of crashtest dummy. I might be wrong on that, but it's worth keeping it in mind while testing how it looks inside the match.

Originally posted by Mangley View Post
    Just for fun I thought I'd stick the original concept's head on this one to see if it could still work as an alt head.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This is imo good solution. It slightly changes the silhouette. Just enough to be easily readable as robot at intimate range of rocket launcher shot but making it just another unnamed victim for sniper

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
    Not sure if you're joking.
    The Cylon style visor is surrounded by an extruded ridge
    Not from any of the ones I've seen. "Cylon" visor styles seem to be all different shapes. It looks like the combination of the visor with cheek guards is the biggest factor in your impression, this UT robot certainly has many other differences though and lacks the mohawk. I am just getting tired of seeing people get hung up on comparisons to old sci-fi. There is no completely original design out there, everything borrows or is subtly influenced by everything else. It's what you do with it and how you bring all these elements together imo that makes it good or not.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Main question - what level will needed for unlock the robot, when it appears in the game? 70? 150? 100000?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah my favorite.

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
    ...the reason why he looks so cool is it has no human skull, it is a killing machine, sharp edges from face to toes he seems like he'd kill you with anything...
    Yup, nasty meat bag eliminator.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Agreed.

Funny how people always pick arbitrary things to compare the visor to though, I mean hello:

Even Xan has a visor.
    Not sure if you're joking.

Those visors are recessed into the face and eye sockets and the overal head design is skull-like. The Cylon style visor is surrounded by an extruded ridge, almost like a set of goggles, and the face has cheek plates reminiscent of ancient Greek and Roman helmets.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    Here is my work in progress renders from the stream today. Comments, crits, questions welcome....

Halo lawsuit incoming !!!!

But I actually like this model. Looks good in photographs. Hopefully it looks good in game
    Last edited by ihopenot; 03-03-2016, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by YemYam View Post
    Here is my work in progress renders from the stream today. Comments, crits, questions welcome. I'll fold in as many changes as I can as long as it doesn't involve starting over.

I didn't saw the stream but what I see today, is really WOW

Great job YemYam, as always

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Really cool and unique robot!
    The effect that a material change can make is really interesting.
    The “dirty” material makes it look like an underdog struggling through the tournament ranks.
    On the other hand, the slick black makes it look like an inexperienced but promising contestant!

Something that bugs me from the moment I saw it in the stream is the small tank on its back.
    I would like to see how the side-view looks without it!
    I think it would make the slim waist line more pronounced.
    It makes me happy that you kept the slim waist line from the first model/concept.
    Its a characteristic that can help players distinguish a robot's unique silhouette from afar!

Edit: Concerning the head now, I have to say that I like it a lot.
    It looks like it had a metal plate hiding the “mouth and nose” area and made it look like an everyday robot designed to interact and work with humans.
    After it was re-purposed for the tournament it ripped the face-plate off to be more intimidating! It took this idea form a horrible mining accident that He caused!
    The end…
    Last edited by darksinn3r; 03-03-2016, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so beautiful, great job yemyam. i especially love the look of the eyes im sure there will be a LOT of awesome skins for those bots!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by toninus View Post
    The problem is not the visor itself but the human shaped head.
    That's why head options are a thing. To me the shape is one of the best things about it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION] great to see some progress on this it was well worth the wait, awesome work as always

I really like the material to cover up the looser parts and the grunge white is my favourite variant there. I like what [MENTION=8844]Mangley[/MENTION] did with the head too for an alternate. Overall Im more pleased with the direction this is taking now, I feel as though this is a solid step forward and towards getting Xan in the game too.

Well done Epic

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Cool, very-very cool! Too human, but it's not a problem: Skaarj also turned to people, so that's fine.
    A small criticism)))
    1)Barrel rear belt. What sense in it? This grenade? The tank of gas, but for some reason it is nowhere connected? Actually it reminds me of this:

Oh, I understand what it is: a container with oil, so that the robot could satisfy their hunger after a heavy battle. Clever.

2) Rags on the shins. Exotic, but for what?)))
    3) The main sticking wires in sight. It was possible to cover them at least a little))) This problem is more with the first concept.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The problem is not the visor itself but the human shaped head.
    Xan is meant to me a mistery, between a robot and a man in armor.
    Lower-tech bots are made to look just like bots.
    Oh and btw, the visor is a bit too deep in the helmet and shouldn't give him a good vision field...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X