Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you mostly, but most of my problem is with his iconic or uniconic this is. How memorable is the look. I don't really care if the robots' heads won't look entirely humanoid as long as they're not too convoluted or busy to quickly register in our minds and quickly enough be recognizable as something the next time around. It was a problem with the weapons in UT3, and IMO in UT4 it was solved, after the team at Epic made it clear that this really did bother them. That problem should also be avoided with most other things that are to be seen a lot, like player characters. In that regard the UT3 Liandri bots weren't too terrible. They were a tad bland to me, but at least they weren't an unmappable mass of mechanical and electrical bits.
    The new UT is coming along nicely...
    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

It's kind of funny you mention the Bloodfist characters, because they have some "menacing" features such as broad shoulders, hard angles, and sharp winged points:

My favorite of the bunch was the blue one 2nd from the right because of its "shoulder blades". None of these bots had faces like I'm bringing up, nor did they have "tough" colors, but they had other things to make up for it. So it's an art and not a science.

You're all making valid points about being too finnicky about eyes, and Mangley, I can't say you're wrong about mucking up conversation with everyone trying to shoehorn their own ideas in until it becomes a huge mess. That being said, I still stand by most of the things that I've said about the context / lore (which has been addressed, and I hope is included), the facial features, and the color. But hey, I'm just some opinionated forum poster, not the guy in charge, so they don't HAVE to listen to me. But I still think my points are valid!!
      Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-14-2015, 08:26 PM.
      ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
      Frag video featuring Rookie
      Frag video featuring Phantaci
      Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post

[screenshot]https://forums.unrealtournament.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24302&d=1449699296[/screenshot]
        Sick.

What I'm most interested/excited about is how this'll be animated. If it ends up using the same rig as the other characters that should be ok, but it would be great to push it further and have entire hydraulic and suspension feedback if possible.

On a side note, only critique I have at the moment is the colors. If this is a 'class 1' bot, then I think a more minimal palette could work better (similar scheme to the shock rifle). This would help a lot with distinguishing bot classes better later on. Of course, form and silhouette would help too, the elite class could be more sleek and organic as opposed to the base class which is all mech. Just throwing some ideas.

Looking forward to see how this turns out! Bot characters are really tough to put together, especially depends on how many layers of detail you want to add. I'm still working on mine but I don't really want to show anything until it's at a decent point I guess.
        3d Artist
        UT Cosmetic Items |
        UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Sorry for spamming the thread up, but I'll just throw in some POSITIVE feedback as well, because nobody likes a debbie downer.

I think the torso is really cool overall. The armored part on the back of the neck looks pretty tough. I like the chest with the tubes extending outward, the middle with the exposed guts underneath, and also the hip area with the pistons. Lynx pointed out near the beginning of the thred that it doesnt look like anything would allow the torso to "twist", which is true, but the character models don't twist in the game anyway, so oh well. I also think the arms are pretty neat with all of the modulated detail, and how the hands only have 4 fingers. It also looks like it has some "bits" poking out of the back where the shoulder blades would be, so that will add a lot to the character and the silhouette.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all these things on the upcoming stream like you said.
          Last edited by BigFatErik; 12-14-2015, 09:07 PM.
          ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
          Frag video featuring Rookie
          Frag video featuring Phantaci
          Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

I'm so tired of seeing 'realistic' looking robotics in games because they're far too busy and hard to rest my eyes on. It creates a very uneasy obsession with details over form. It's like trying to look at individual engine parts if you're not a mechanic, there's just no room take it in unless there's plating that adds some empty space for the eyes to rest in or specific, contrasted details to look at. A large issue with Titanfall is that almost nothing really stands out beyond THIS IS A VERY LARGE BLOB SILHOUETTE, or GANGLY SCARECROW THING.
            Another point- if the conversation needs to go into practicality, a mining machine like that robot is complicated in ways that hinder it's ability to remain functional in the harsh environments. you'd really want to have the major frame structures covered since you have some INCREDIBLY dangerous and damaging minerals spewing from digging equipment. for a human it's not necessarily so bad, but a machine like that? it would be jammed in minutes, dust in filters needing cleaned, joints freezing due to mineral dust, and all sorts of bad issues. actual mining equipment follows this too, why shouldn't a biped designed to handle multiple mining jobs?
            That head is pretty on-point though. It may not be the best thing, but it's certainly closer to on-track than the rest of the figure.

E: wow a friend noticed where a certain part on that came from. stop doing almost exclusive photobashing for your concepts. You can draw, It's not hard to make something not look like a pile of broken beyblades and engine parts when you actually sketch it out!

This is more personal opinion, but I really find the obsession to draw away from rule of cool obtuse and banal, and I'd like to hope that developers would start getting away from this 'that was too 90s' insistence soon. Humanoid robots are, and probably always will be, a novelty and toys anyway.
            TL;DR Less car engine, more racing motorcycle. Or at the very least this.

To wit, here, me and a friend collaborated on a thing. Have a toy robot head.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Gebloner; 12-16-2015, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangley View Post
              I don't think people should be trying to pick apart the concept art at all. Wait for the model! Concept art is something that just gives a visual direction to work and move forwards from. I see a lot of the same people arguing about the visuals, and it's clear that there's still the two large camps of people on these boards who are trying to push everything towards either being like UT99 or being like 2k4 and ignoring the obvious direction the game is already taking instead of trying and make their ideas work with it. The Necris thread turned into a 10 page argument with only about 3 people actually trying to contribute ideas and concepts. Everybody piling in and trying to have 'their say' just pollutes the discussion and devolves it into an argument between the usual few people who wants stuff to look like UT99 or UT2k4 because of completely personal tastes and opinions. I'd love to see this thread be different.
              Well... the Necris thread is basically proof that epic methods of creating art and concept doesn't work in case of elements with strong legacy and identity. Necris concept was already done and accepted by epic before community has any chance of giving their input and telling epic what in their opinion was essence of Necris. Thats the same reason why i was complaining about this concept not being "The Corrupt" as this team is other case of something with strong legacy which should be recognized and analyzed (aka brainstormed by the community and then epic deciding what to take from brainstorm). This is slow process, but we don't need to rush with legendary teams and character. Current workflow is ok for smaller teams. And UT99 and UT2k4 are mostly compatible (or gaps can be quite easily explained). UT2k3/UC2/UT3 are incompatible because they ignored art direction of their precedessors and tried to redefine stuff. They are less popular i might add :P. Just imagine that tommorow epic will announce that they are using UC2 concept for Xan without giving community any chance of input. Decision was made. Any complaining is pointless. UT is IP with great legacy and working with it like it is completely new IP can lead to peoples dissapointment. Especially story/lore whores like me

But not to be 100% offtop. I started to worry. This concept looks good as a concept when you have time to appreciate all the detail and complex shapes. However how it look in motion/ in distance/ in darkness. All this detail might become unrecognizable if materials will not have enough contrast. Certain elements will need to be accentuated with different materials or colors but overdoing it might be just as bad. So while designing shapes we should have in mid how much accentuation might be required to make character readable. It is important for characters with non-human silhouette. Just pointing this in advance, so other concepts won't get too much pistons, pipes and other shapes hard to read in some circumstances.
              Unofficial Enforcer Model
              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                Well... the Necris thread is basically proof that epic methods of creating art and concept doesn't work in case of elements with strong legacy and identity. Necris concept was already done and accepted by epic before community has any chance of giving their input and telling epic what in their opinion was essence of Necris. Thats the same reason why i was complaining about this concept not being "The Corrupt" as this team is other case of something with strong legacy which should be recognized and analyzed (aka brainstormed by the community and then epic deciding what to take from brainstorm). This is slow process, but we don't need to rush with legendary teams and character. Current workflow is ok for smaller teams. And UT99 and UT2k4 are mostly compatible (or gaps can be quite easily explained). UT2k3/UC2/UT3 are incompatible because they ignored art direction of their precedessors and tried to redefine stuff. They are less popular i might add :P. Just imagine that tommorow epic will announce that they are using UC2 concept for Xan without giving community any chance of input. Decision was made. Any complaining is pointless. UT is IP with great legacy and working with it like it is completely new IP can lead to peoples dissapointment. Especially story/lore whores like me
                It's been clear for a long time that if the community wants to be heard they have to do more than just type out posts on the forums though. Epic does have to push development forward regardless of the community's pace at creating stuff, they have their own artists and vision for the game. If people want to make the case for keeping a design more like one of the older games, or a totally new design of their own, then they actually need to create that concept themselves and prove that it can work visually. The signal:noise ratio is the real problem. For every 30 posts there's maybe one concept or paint over. Everything else is conflicting opinions coming from all different directions and this isn't design by committee. There's actually still plenty of opportunity for people to make designs for Necris characters. I believe Epic wants to create a base character for each faction to set the tone for that particular team, and that they want people to take that direction and work with it to create characters that fit the style, I'm sure there's even still possibility for characters that bridge the gap between UT4 and UT99 for example (i.e; compromise on being purist about things and actually work with the art direction), but again it's up to someone to make the concept and prove it can work. Same for the other factions.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post

My favorite of the bunch was the blue one 2nd from the right because of its "shoulder blades". None of these bots had faces like I'm bringing up, nor did they have "tough" colors, but they had other things to make up for it. So it's an art and not a science.
                  He was my favorite from 2k4 too.

Comment

Ok, watched the stream and can see this will go in a good direction. Obviously the legs have a ways to go but overall the direction is clean and closer in spirit to what I'd expect, even in this "mining robot" form, so gg keep it up. The team variants will look pretty nice.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Hello all, here are the images from the stream.

Glad you are liking the WIP work so far Henrik. I agree the legs need work as does many other parts.

Now that we have the visuals around 60% done I need to bounce back to the articulation and animation requirements. I'm going to produce a very rough low poly prototype mesh and we'll get it rigged and in game.

From there we will see how well the silhouette holds up, if certain areas are too noisy, if the parts will support all of the existing animation sets, etc. Once we work out the majority of functionality issues we will retrofit the hi poly & continue to polish and refine visuals.

Even though this is very early work in progress let us know what you think. Comments, crits, & questions welcome!

Work in progress phase i bot
                      60% complete proto mesh

there will be three main robot
                      designs each with their own
                      unique style and upgrade paths.

phase i - industral (in progress 60%)
                      weakest - utilitarian design

phase ii - upgraded (coming soon)
                      stronger - improved armor & ai

phase iii - combat (coming soon)
                      strongest - engineered for victory

Attached Files
                      Last edited by YemYam; 12-16-2015, 08:30 PM.
                      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

I see some familiar chest elements here )

As for overall design the only thing that caught my eye on the model is how low the front pelvis bar is. Won't it get in the way of the leg in running animation?
                        "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                        - RenegadeRetard

Comment

-I like how I could see Xan being, with some extreme modding, built from this framework.
                          -I know we're not going for streamlined, but it might add some cohesion if parts like the forearm had a slight taper rather than being perfectly rectangular
                          -the feel of heft the abdomen provides is good, the legs feel perhaps on the small side in that they look like they might have a hard time supporting that upper body weight.
                          -the chest lights are great.
                          -the pelvis looks low, like a skater with pants falling halfway down.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

-the pelvis looks low, like a skater with pants falling halfway down.
                            Yeah, there's a bit of diaper-walker going on. I think it's because the pelvis isn't tall enough, definitely gonna work that out.
                            Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Hahahahaha oh man getting the renders for the stream was down to the wire, I just ran out of time and my eyes didn't even notice how low that was. Now that it's pointed out I can't UNSEE! Ah well, easy fix, thanks for pointing it out all.
                              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Just watched it, I'm curious to see how it will evolve.
                                Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, but will the robot "skeleton" be avalaible for modeling ? It looks like a good base to develop different concept of robots.

Comment

Working...
                                X