X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction

Hello all!

We are starting to explore designs for the UT4 Robot faction. This is the very beginning of the process and we are exploring visual design ideas.

Gooba has created the first concept working with Rick and I have starting roughing in the basic modeling. As always this will be an iterative, collaborative and evolving process. Nothing is final, this is just the beginning and I look forward to your feedback throughout the process.

The biggest thing to note is that we are going to have three main visual styles of robots. There will be many variants that come from this faction but starting out we are trying to focus on three distinct versions.

- Phase 1: WEAKEST - Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

- Phase 2: STRONGER - Multipurpose bots used for industrial or combat purposes. They have some utilitarian looking components and some exposed areas but it's obvious they have upgraded various parts to be more effective in combat. They should look a little chunkier and more armored.

- Phase 3: STRONGEST - Combat specific bots, the most powerful and deadly version. They have been engineered from the ground up to be the deadliest bots in the tournament. They have sleeker and more armored components and visually look like the strongest, toughest and meanest out of the three.

We are starting with the Phase 1 level bot so a very stripped down and industrial design. This version should be seen as the weakest and least prepared for combat. There are many exposed parts as it was created as a mining workhorse not a combat unit.

I will have first pass renders for the stream next wed 12_16 and I'll update this thread at the same time. Rick & Gooba will contribute to this thread regarding the concept and design. In the meantime please let us know what you think and if you have any ideas to share.

UPDATE:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my work in progress renders from the stream today. Comments, crits, questions welcome. I'll fold in as many changes as I can as long as it doesn't involve starting over.

Completely new ideas should be saved for a new thread, I'd like to keep this thread focused on improving what we have not discussing what we will do with future bots.

Attached Files
    Last edited by YemYam; 03-02-2016, 05:41 PM.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Woah, that's really interesting! I'll wait for your models...

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Very nice guys!
      Win 10
      iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
      3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
      DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
      2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Great concept! Will be interesting seeing all the different kinds of robots and variations of robot characters that will be made in the future. Will be really cool seeing this character translate into 3D especially!

Comment

YemYam, are you going to work on any animation for this? In the particular case of that concept, it would be cool to see, in some circumstances, the shock absorbers / pistons of the abdominal area in function (unless those are not shock absorbers). For example, it could be appropriate during landing from a high platform.

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

This robot could be member of Blood Fists but certainly not member of The Corrupt/Warmachine. You have to identify what is characteristic in The Corrupt faction and what makes them charismatic (in some way). They are menacing robots which bodies are shaped to resemble humans, but they are made from very raw materials. And little hinting - fact that they resemble humans is making them menacing. Are there element of human hidden in them?

This concept is what i could see on Polycount - robot concept which fits current robot design trends. Great art, but if found on that site... i would never think that it could be member of The Corrupt or even UT character. I would quicker believe that it is concept from Black Ops 3. Sorry.

What i would choose as direction for The Corrupt/Warmachine is this concept.

It is not exactly what i imagined but i think it is the only concept which fullfills the requirements. It has human proportions (even something resembling human muscle structure), it is built from raw materials, it looks menacing and it is unclear if skull is for style or are those human remains. Is human conciousness imprisoned by the AI? This is mystery. And The Corrupt is one of the factions which require some mystery to not fall flat like UT3 drones did. I would see this particular concept suit more for Warmachine (UT'99 Corrupt) because it is extremally raw and some UT2k4 corrupt members bodies looked like work of metalurgy artist (Enigma for example). Maybe even having subtle art deco vibe.

We can do better than "robot concept which fits current robot design trends" i mentioned.
            Last edited by Fartuess; 12-10-2015, 01:37 PM.
            Unofficial Enforcer Model
            Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
              YemYam, are you going to work on any animation for this? In the particular case of that concept, it would be cool to see, in some circumstances, the shock absorbers / pistons of the abdominal area in function (unless those are not shock absorbers). For example, it could be appropriate during landing from a high platform.

That's a really good idea.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                This robot could be member of Blood Fists but certainly not member of The Corrupt/Warmachine. You have to identify what is characteristic in The Corrupt faction and what makes them charismatic (in some way). They are menacing robots which bodies are shaped to resemble humans, but they are made from very raw materials. And little hinting - fact that they resemble humans is making them menacing. Are there element of human hidden in them?

This concept is what i could see on Polycount - robot concept which fits current robot design trends. Great art, but if found on that site... i would never think that it could be member of The Corrupt or even UT character. I would quicker believe that it is concept from Black Ops 3. Sorry.

We can do better than "robot concept which fits current robot design trends" i mentioned.

I'm not hugely attached to any particular look for 'The Corrupt,' besides Xan, but from the wet blanket perspective the above observation is spot on. This guy is so much more reminiscent of Blood Fist robots / cyborgs that even calling this anything else becomes confusing.

I completely understand why artistically having something in the concept art's style is more interesting to create, but as with the other missteps we've had artistically, the mapping of great artwork to proper and consistent game lore is off.
                Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
                Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
                Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Comment

Looking good, No real crits but i do have 'modified' version for you to look at, i said this to cyberdelicious as well with his robot, but maybe make the joints more visible, more thin bits to make the silhouette stand out, The Midsection is perfect example More of that . But it looks good how it is anyways. Just thought id put in a little, i do like my robots to show their mechanics. As far as extra animations go i dont think its really worth it, you can probably do some tricks with the skeleton rigging to make it 'Seem' like the pistons are moving or have some trippy material effects, there are many other options that dont require a new skeleton or its own animset. Good job guys, Cant wait to see the renders!

A few tweaks, Brought the legs/arm joints out a bit wider so you can see the joints between them and the body, plus extra joints, less pipes.
                  This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                  Attached Files
                  My Contributions - misc concept art.
                  Taye Skins - Skin Downloads

Comment

Oh man, I'm so excited about this. Looks like a great start! The concept of the 3 different phases will work really well IMO.
                    Last edited by MΛuL; 12-10-2015, 03:20 AM.
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Looks great so far, glad to see a robot faction return since they add an interesting dynamic to the game (more sparkles n stuff instead of blood).

YemYam> Sorry for asking offtopic but any particular reason for that you/Epic haven't started with Lauren yet? It was one of the earliest concepts to surface and it was a concept that majority liked quite a lot (including me since I often played as Lauren in the past and I really liked the direction here).

I just feel we need more females, Visse isn't really that attractive alternative for me so far. :P Please do a female character soon yea? ^^
                      Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 12-10-2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I get the feeling that its inclusion is mainly to please the 2kx and UT3 crowds, but imo those designs were missteps, we can do better. This one is better but still not very UT to me.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

How does it twist it's upper body? It looks like it isn't capable of doing so. Looks like it can only bend forward and back, not twist side to side. Food for thought!

Along with some other posts I wonder if this lesser robot is worthy of being part of the Corrupt. I would imagine the Corrupt would be more suited to the phase 2 type of robots described, depending on where in the timeline this game sits at least anyway. If it's earlier days of the tournament, then sure, this kinda robot in the Corrupt could probably make sense. But if it's later on, surely Xan would have upgraded his crew beyond basic mining designs?

Will the Corrupt be the only robot team? Do we know how many teams we're gonna have yet? Is that something that should maybe be decided on before locking a design style ideal for any particular group?

Comment

Originally posted by mastrok View Post
                            How does it twist it's upper body? It looks like it isn't capable of doing so. Looks like it can only bend forward and back, not twist side to side. Food for thought!
                            Maybe you're right. Anyway, it's just a concept: they will surely update it!

-Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                              Yeah, I get the feeling that its inclusion is mainly to please the 2kx and UT3 crowds, but imo those designs were missteps, we can do better. This one is better but still not very UT to me.

Categorically disagree. One can argue about characters design in UT2k4 / UT3, but their design was varied and creative. Especially - robots from UT3. As for UT99 - there generally almost all the characters are identical - just painted differently! You so much love the UT99, what want to see the same garbage in UT4?

Please, don't need fanaticism.

Comment

Working...
                              X