Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 Axis Robot Arm Biped for UT4 Faction Robots and / or Unreal Universe Monsters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] 6 Axis Robot Arm Biped for UT4 Faction Robots and / or Unreal Universe Monsters!

Here is my submission for [OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction Phase 1: WEAKEST - Industrial bots non-modified for combat. Can hold their own in combat but look like they should be doing construction not fighting. They should look cool but not necessarily dangerous and have minimal armored parts.

[screenshot]http://orig15.deviantart.net/c5df/f/2016/065/8/c/6_axis_robot_arm_biped___view_1___mockup_1_by_richardboegli-d9u3kbb.png[/screenshot][screenshot]http://orig09.deviantart.net/a5d6/f/2016/065/0/5/6_axis_robot_arm_biped___view_2___mockup_1_by_richardboegli-d9u3mds.png[/screenshot][screenshot]https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/screenshots/pics/db19d16e9b299ee73ca69401bf6829e3/large.jpg[/screenshot]

For the last 20 or so years in my spare time, I've been designing and building walking and biped robots.

The original concept was to create a biped walking robot utilising 6 axis robot arms as legs and feet

I came up with concept about 15 years ago, when I saw a Toyota factory poster which had two 6 axis robot arms on an assembly line (Not the poster itself, but an example to demonstrate my point)
    I thought to myself "How easy would it be to create a biped robot, if the legs are already made and I just have to create a counterweight frame?"

I extended this concept to think about using the 6 axis robot arms for legs for 4, 6 and above legged robots.
    Most of my biped robots have utilised the ZMP / Zero Moment Point philosophy (introduced by Miomir Vukobratović in 1968) to make them statically stable ie: the point where the total of horizontal inertia and gravity forces equals 0 (zero).
    So the robot transfers weight such that it is balanced before it moves a leg forward.

This is easier to design for than “dynamically stable” locomotion as a human aren’t actually stable when walking.

When [MENTION=9771]YemYam[/MENTION] from Epic Games announced the thread for [OFFICIAL] UT4 Robot Faction, I thought about how I could extend the design to add arms such that it could carry things. As the biped might not fit the standard biped skeleton for UT4, I’ve posted it into [MENTION=18574]KazeoHin-TechAE[/MENTION] thread Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together! aswell.

The robot is comprises of
    • 6 axis robot arms - QTY 4 (Arms and Legs)
    • I-Beam - QTY 1 (Body)
    • Tablet - QTY 1 (Head / Face)

I used the FANUC-430 Robot which I got from GrabCAD by Ken Schulze as I like the styling of the Fanuc Robot arms, I used one as part of the design for my final year thesis and this model looks good

The biped needs more work to actually add mounting plates, bolts, cables, stiffeners etc… This is a very rough mockup just to show the concept.

Engineering wise, I’d have to spec up robot arms which are capable of lifting their own weight. The plan is to actually design and build one of these in real life once I can secure funding.

I utilised Autodesk Inventor 2016 to assemble this mockup. There wasn’t much modelling involved
    Last edited by richardboegli; 03-05-2016, 10:28 AM.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Is its face an iPad?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Envarion View Post

Is its face an iPad?
      Yes.

Comment

This concept is so wacky and zany. I would love to see it developed a bit more, try to give it slightly more humanoid features, a chest/waist.

Comment

This.. is UT4 . I hope to see this invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Envarion View Post

Is its face an iPad?
            Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
            Yes.
            I forgot [MENTION=242749]Envarion[/MENTION] this is not an iPad that exists today.

I was able to quickly find an iPad model which I could use and scaled it up.

I planned on using a generic 42" screen, but couldn't find one quick enough. So this iPad has been scaled so that screen is 39.5"

Between 2016 and 2341 my hope is that Apple realises there is a need for 20" to 42" iPad's :P

As Microsoft is eating their lunch with the Surface Hubs

[screenshot]https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdiit.cz%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Fcustom%2Fpublic%2Fmicrosoft_surface_hub_pen.jpeg%3Fitok%3DmuueQf7E&f=1[/screenshot][screenshot]https://compass-ssl.xboxlive.com/assets/a3/fe/a3fe86bf-d59e-4272-b8d7-89f6c14e2a89.png#HUB_HP_AdvanceTech_Desktop_906_721.png[/screenshot]

Everything else is to scale.

The robot arms I have chosen can each handle 130kg each, but I haven't taken into account their own self weight.

Comment

[QUOTE=KazeoHin-TechAE;230847]This concept is so wacky and zany.

Thanks for that @KazeoHin-TechAE

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
              I would love to see it developed a bit more, try to give it slightly more humanoid features, a chest/waist.
              Yeah, will do. I just wanted to get the first mockup ASAP just to demonstrate the concept which is why I went with the single IBeam.

My narrative in my first post was getting a bit long, so I didn't put in the full feature list yet.
              My plan is to show a full animation of the robot arms unbolting themselves from their platforms and dragging themselves into position, then welding up the frame and attaching themselves to form the biped.

Think Constructicons merge into Devastator!
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkqSl2o8h8&t=47

My intent wasn't to add a chest / waist, but I think it would look good and give it a more humanoid look.

I'll probably use a generator or battery banks or maybe add armour plating to project the bolted connections to the Ibeam.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by richardboegli; 03-07-2016, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Are you designing this in the "real life" (using programmable devices such as Arduino) as a sort of default skeleton example?

-Luigi Rapetta
                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Working...
                X