Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[unused unreal championship model] Would this make an awesome Xan Kriegor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[unused unreal championship model] Would this make an awesome Xan Kriegor?

I think only the shoulder pads are too big, but I think it looks like a logical technological progression from all the armors.
    He seems more slender. More agile.
    Some may prefer the bulkier, more block-y look.

Here's the low poly model:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xan_uc2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	352471
    3D Artist looking for work.

Just found this too.
    I'd say the green lines are too nonsensical and distracting, but everything else is awesome:

Comment

This is veryvery cool, but I think it should be taller so it doesn't really float in the air (how do you aim at the legs)
      btw no for Xan Kriegor, but a BIG YES to a Liandribot

Comment

I really don't know why it doesn't have legs.
        Looks like he was never designed with legs.
        Maybe he was just supposed to have a cameo or make commentary in game and yo weren't supposed to fight him. I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
          Just found this too.
          I'd say the green lines are too nonsensical and distracting, but everything else is awesome:

I actually like the facial profile of this one. We should use it.

But I think the body is a little over designed, it resembles an aircraft more than a robot. Xan needs some legs too.

Comment

You don't think its too big of a departure from what Xan has always looked like?

Click image for larger version

Name:	129541376254.png
Views:	3
Size:	898.2 KB
ID:	328587

I think he at least needs legs maybe

Comment

Originally posted by bMarvo View Post
              You don't think its too big of a departure from what Xan has always looked like?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2998[/ATTACH]
              As long as his "essence" is still maintained, I have no problem with seeing this character evolve like the others (brock, lauren etc.)
              Matter of fact, I'd look forward to his visual evolution/upgrades through the sequels the most.
              -And keep in mind, he didn't always look like that, all big and blocky:

Last edited by CognizanCe1; 05-16-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Agree with the earlier thought regarding the character's face. But I wonder, could the look be improved by adjusting the lower arm fins/blades? Make them thinner and more jagged - it just seems like an unusual place to strap armour.
                Also, do you agree with my thought, that those narrow protrusions coming down from each side of where a human's ribcage would be seem awfully blade-like? As it's going along, possibly it's creating sparks on surfaces.
                Really like the design overall a lot, though
                I imagine a situation where it's propulsion (jets, between shoulders) has such a power in thrust acceleration, that the arms draw back as it moves forward, from the force.
                Last edited by Spinarax; 05-16-2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
                  This is veryvery cool, but I think it should be taller so it doesn't really float in the air (how do you aim at the legs)
                  btw no for Xan Kriegor, but a BIG YES to a Liandribot
                  Seconded. That robot looks totally cool.

Comment

CognizanCe, it's sexy as f*ck !

Gj mate! Awesome job so far!
                    Official Cod3r Hero: RattleSN4K3!!!
                    Official Weapon Designer Hero: Gooba!!!

Comment

Hi guys, I'm the one who modeled that guy 10 or so years ago. Originaly UC2 (named something else at the time) was going to be the first game using Epic’s new UE3 tech (normal mapping) but it changed early in the dev cycle to use UE2.x tech and be for the Xbox. I had already started modeling some of the characters and guns in hi poly and when they switched tech I continued to model the hi polys for fun in the evenings. You can see all of the UC2 hi poly stuff I did in this photo set.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam...7605739328119/

Now that Unreal is coming alive again I thought it might be fun to resurrect some of these old models. Interesting enough I had been noodling on the Xan model at home holding the OG Flak Cannon. Once I have it detailed a bit more I will send out the renders.

BTW, the reason he was cut from UC2 was the “how do you aim at his feet” problem. We didn’t want to compromise the concept but at the same time his design compromised the gameplay so the same problems would have to be solved.

Awesome find guys! 
                      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                        Hi guys, I'm the one who modeled that guy 10 or so years ago. Originaly UC2 (named something else at the time) was going to be the first game using Epic’s new UE3 tech (normal mapping) but it changed early in the dev cycle to use UE2.x tech and be for the Xbox. I had already started modeling some of the characters and guns in hi poly and when they switched tech I continued to model the hi polys for fun in the evenings. You can see all of the UC2 hi poly stuff I did in this photo set.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam...7605739328119/

Now that Unreal is coming alive again I thought it might be fun to resurrect some of these old models. Interesting enough I had been noodling on the Xan model at home holding the OG Flak Cannon. Once I have it detailed a bit more I will send out the renders.

BTW, the reason he was cut from UC2 was the “how do you aim at his feet” problem. We didn’t want to compromise the concept but at the same time his design compromised the gameplay so the same problems would have to be solved.

Awesome find guys! 
                        Holy ****, sorry I didn't see this post earlier.
                        BUT WHY DIDN'T HE HAVE LEGS??!?!
                        -And do you still actually have the models from years ago?
                        -And did you do the low poly retopolgy as well?
                        And while I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store, why didn't ut2003/4 have normal mapping or bump mapping?
                        It was fine when released, but doom 3 and half life 2 (released around the same time) didn't age as quickly because they had those texture maps.
                        Last edited by CognizanCe1; 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
                          And while I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store, why didn't ut2003/4 have normal mapping or bump mapping?
                          It was fine when released, but doom 3 and half life 2 (released around the same time) didn't age as quickly because they had those texture maps.
                          Doom 3 is hideous and Half Life 2 didn't use any bumpmaps at all. It was just clever use of photosourced texturing. bump mapping was incredibly expensive memory wise and added alot to art asset creation time back then, and still does now with normal maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gebloner View Post
                            Doom 3 is hideous
                            Opinion.

and Half Life 2 didn't use any bumpmaps at all.
                            You're right, I was thinking of Counterstrike source, which was released around the same time, but like I said, both those games aged better than ut2k4.

Comment

Half Life 2 didn't use any bumpmaps at all.
                              It did, if you had at least DirectX 8.

Comment

Working...
                              X