Looking for Tutorials/Workflow to Make Custom Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Tutorials/Workflow to Make Custom Character

This is a repost from r/unrealtournament on Reddit in the hopes of garnering more specific responses.

I said: "Yo, I'm the creator of Rocket Raccoon UT2k4 and a bunch of other models. I'm needing a portfolio piece for a college I will be attending by the end of the year, and I thought it would be neat to contribute to UT4. As the title states, I want to make a custom character model using the existing human animations. I will be using Blender to make the model(s).

Unfortunately, I've been having trouble finding tutorials on this subject. Could someone point me in the right direction from here?"

Originally posted by Jragon7350 View Post
    This is a repost from r/unrealtournament on Reddit in the hopes of garnering more specific responses.

I said: "Yo, I'm the creator of Rocket Raccoon UT2k4 and a bunch of other models. I'm needing a portfolio piece for a college I will be attending by the end of the year, and I thought it would be neat to contribute to UT4. As the title states, I want to make a custom character model using the existing human animations. I will be using Blender to make the model(s).

Unfortunately, I've been having trouble finding tutorials on this subject. Could someone point me in the right direction from here?"

Cheers man.

There aren't any step by step tutorials yet.
    The key elements are:
    1: use the epic skeleton by exporting it from the UTBaseCharacter skeletal mesh. Or the Malcolm/Taye model if you don't need the Skaarj tail.

2: Bind your character to the skeleton. Discard the old mesh and ensure the root of the skeleton is only one bone. The FBX export from Unreal seems to add a parent object for both the skeleton and mesh to keep things tidy, but it messes with the importing.

3. Import your model as a skeletal mesh. be sure to point it at the UTBaseCharacter skeleton for its animation reference.
    3a: Do your Physics mesh and materials setup as needed. I assume you know this since you've done other models in the past.

4: Create a new blueprint based on UTCharacterContent, NOT A SUBCLASS OF UTCharacterContent. It must be the UTCharacterContent class as a parent or the content baker will not find all your assets and you will not have a working character. Change all the important bits like mesh and materials etc to your own.

5: Export the character via the Share a Character button. Find yours in the list, click share, Go make some coffee or tea the first time you do this, then when you come back boot up UT and give it a test.
    Last edited by Vailias; 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks! This helps a ton!
      I'll get back to you once I start this project. Knowing the rigors of UED, I'm sure I'll run into trouble at some point.

Comment

i'd advise doing a few test runs of your workflow before you enter to deep in the content creation, there's a few thing when working with blender you have to watch for, like size/scale/units, it might be an idea to check blender to UE4 tutorials before you start.

i cover a few of the things on my youtube channel, the video's are all for ue4 and not ut so please take that into account as ut uses a differnet rig than ue4
        UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
        ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Thanks for the advice Geodav.

Comment

I've decided to work on the model and mess with UED export later. Are there any special modeling considerations? Do I need to separate limbs/armor? And the first-person arms?

Comment

basically check the ut content and copy what they did, don't forget with the higher polycounts you still need LOD's. Always use their rig, i found in the past it works better if you adjust the model and not the rig, also have a look at how they set up the materials, as you well know evrything you put into the characters effect your workflow and how it moves/looks when in game.

not sure how they'll end up doing the characters either solid or modular or start with a basic mesh and add on armour and hats !!!!!
              UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
              ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

My custom characters for Unreal Tournament 4 could be Ratchet and Clank 1 from PS4 remake and Jazz Jackrabbit from iOS udk kismet tutorial demo.

Comment

Working...
                X