Riker (ThunderCrash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Riker (ThunderCrash)

Hey there all, been poking my head around a bit the last few days and figured id post an update on Riker. Coming along a bit now Ive added some of the extra details, Pretty much just the hood and facial hair to go. Then once thats done ill work on prettying up the textures/normals. Tried to add a little bit more structure to the chest padding, taking alot of inspiration from Ice Hockey gear, trying to remove most of the 'bulk' though. Added a bunch of straps and clips, just little things. Not that its noticeable now but the torso is now texture mapped properly, and doesnt loop/mirror at all like it did before. Have almost got the skeleton rigged properly now, theres still a bit of deformation on some of the fingers and crotch area but the rest of the bodys animation warps/deform is consistent with the current characters, so Im trying not to get caught up on it too much.
    Well here are the piccys, Let us know what you think.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Because this is the first post in this Thread ill put the concept art below here, But for anyone whos seen the progress in My Contributions thread will have already seen this stuff.

Left: Official Concept, Right: My Paint-over
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Armor, Hairstyle Concepts:
    Attached Files
    My Contributions - misc concept art.
    Taye Skins - Skin Downloads

I really like your concepts of the hair styles, there is a lot there that other games dont really explore, I think even a full beard that fits across most characters could be cool. I mean personally thats what I want to see is a modular Thundercrash team UT3 style and it would be interesting to see Necris with facial hair too but perhaps more wirey. I really like your sketches, they have a fair amount of detail, the emblem is a really nice touch, keep it up
    Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

This model has got a lot of potential.

But I think the details on the textures are not as many as I would expect in today standards. For instance, the armor look quite plastic, in my opinion.

-Luigi Rapetta
      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
      Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Cheers guys, I have made a start on some subtle facial hair now and added a belt around the waist like in the concept, I will probably end up making the default variant a shaved head, just to match the current models but i will be keeping a few with hair for screenshots and skins. The shaved emblem i thought may be little over the top, but Rikers descriptions say hes all about style, granted they are probably talking about his combat but eh, why not his looks to?
        @rap Yeah some of the textures have no real detail in them at the moment, just material layers essentially, some parts like the gloves and leg armor do, but im in the process of re-aligning the UVs so that i can fit it all nice and neatly on a new texture so some things are missing/out of place, once its all corrected ill post some images it should look a lot better. Thanks again for the feedback.

Comment

Ok so im happy with where the hair is at for now, ive tested it in the game and worked it down so it doesnt clip with the hockey mask or anything, did a bit of adjusting to the headgear sockets so it fits all of them globally a little better.
          Have now made the hood as well and the UV mapping work i was doing is all done now, its working off the new 4k texture, so i have started adding a bit more detail in, just thought id post an update letting you know where im at.

A few shots of the Beard in the engine.
          This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
          Since theres not alot of mesh work left to do i thought id present this a little differently this time, let everyone know where im at with the triangle count, Still reasonably low compared to some of the other models so i still have bit of leeway for more mesh detail, but we'll have a look to see where its really needed after i get the material in a better state.
          This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Cheers All, See ya.
          Attached Files

Comment

There's a solution about avoiding interpenetration with cosmetics. You can make switchable heads, so you can make different head models (with hair, no hair, bald, etc...) which you can set depending on the cosmetic used.

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I really like how you kept the style of taye as he is the base Thundercrash guy. This guy looks badass, like a war veteran. The one thing about Riker though is that he's style and tactics. I suggest the modern pompadour hairstyle with him and some highlights for the hair, the beard is awesome. All in all, this guy you did here is top grade work. Good luck !!

Comment

Hey there, been a while, ran into some hard drive space limitations so i wasn't able to update UT for a little while there. Have updated this guy a little bit but theres still not a huge change. Mostly been trying sort out the vest and upper body plates to take out some of those rubber seals and the holes/gaps in the plating. Hopefully now its a little easier on the eyes. Also dummied up a set of team variants (mainly because i use these ingame already) but also getting a general idea of what he looks like next to his TeamMate.
                rapfamily4 yeah still need to look into that properly, i can make the alternate mesh/material easy enough but have not looked at many other settings on the player/character besides what i have modified.
                Evangel hey thanks, and i get what you mean with the style and tactics thing, while i appreciate the suggestion of hairstyle, i just had a bit of a google and im not sure a style like this would match the "official" concepts of riker that much, perhaps a short fringe with the shaved sides, to play it safe i think i want to keep his hairstyle reasonably low maintenance, like just natural short/balding or a simple Mohawk. Also i think the 'Style' in the description refers to how he moves on the battlefield more-so than the way he looks. (You may be in luck though, i noticed a 'Jayce' head in the editor with this sort of hairstyle, perhaps it will make an appearance eventually??)
                Well, Heres some pics for yall, not as many this time, forums are doing weird things so i dont want to break anything, already had to use google links because i could'n't upload attachments. -edit: turns out those images are too big now (yay more size restrictions!) had to cut the size down a little, hopefully these are visible Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00000.jpg Views:	1 Size:	778.9 KB ID:	384854
                Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	708.6 KB ID:	384856
                Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	723.5 KB ID:	384855

Last edited by Kingaz; 04-20-2017, 10:48 PM. Reason: figured stuff out...

Comment

Kingaz That's actually what I started thinking when I thought deeper into the "style" part of the biography. I think that new hairstyle would be perfect actually. (Also the images won't show for some reason.) Anyway, keep it going dude, they're amazing characters.

Comment

I think you should work deeper on the material of the armor. You can have fun setting several normal maps and noise textures to the armor material. Currently, it looks quite plastic compared to Taye's armor, even too clean.

Anyway, this is getting really good! I like the back plates and that hidden smiley pendant.

-Luigi Rapetta
                    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

poking my head around a bit since the last update, did a little more work on riker here, adding a few more details to the armor, smoothing out some stuff. Got some arms for him but as you might be able to see they are still warping alot so i have to rig them a little better to the skeleton. Getting there though. As always crits/comments are welcome.
                      rapfamily4 i have changed it over to the actual "painted metal" material function instead of the plastic one tayes armor uses, it looks a little better but until i start adding the dirt/scratch layers the metal is going to look pretty well "Freshly Painted" so sorry bout that for now but it will be coming, i have tried a little on the shinpads just with the silver as metal showing through but the scratch/grime layers within the materials will make it look alot better... i hope :SClick image for larger version

Name:	riker250817.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	392482Click image for larger version

Name:	rikerarms250817.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	392480Click image for larger version

Name:	rikers250817.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	392481

Comment

Detail and head are pretty great only the suit is really still extremely personalized and sweaty.
                        GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Pretty neat works posted Kingaz! Keep it Up!
                          LoPing
                          Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Working...
                          X