This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice changes, TeriyakiStyle!
    Now, this expresses the proud race of Skaarj to me.
    Already thought about giving the scales on the forehead (where humans would have eyebrows) a different shade of green or different structure? It could increase the grimmy, evil look by stressing that area. As you might see, the facepaint you added already contributes a lot to that feel and it is a fairly simple addition.
    S l y .

Comment

That posture change made a big difference, very nice work TeriyakiStyle!

Comment

Good that you tried this, TeriyakiStyle! To me, the upright posture gives it a more threatening appearance and commands more respect.

Comment

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post

More Refinement - Fully upright. Seemed like the bigger gripe people talked about. Still working on the arm. But I'm building a brand new kitbash just for UT so it's taking some time.
          Well this is a definite improvement!
          I'd just say that hips are a bit wide imo but proportions are pretty fine.
          Also, just noticed those things on his back, which part his dreadlocks. I don't remember Skaarjs having these on backs, but I guess it's just a personal choice detail as well as those spikes on upper legs. Looks good anyway

Comment

Despite being overshadowed by the extreme talent here, I couldn't help get inspired too so I'll add my version to the mix:

Click image for larger version

Name:	JonSkaarjWIP01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	328928

Its more based on the Unreal 1 Skaarj, but with the level of detail on those textures there's not much to go on. I tried a more insect like look as I always wondered how those tiny pupae turned into skaarj brutes.

It's WIP but i'm off for a bit so thought I'd show some progress. He has a whole body pose which I'll hopefully be able to finish and show later.

Love all the stuff in this thread.
            UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
            Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
              Its more based on the Unreal 1 Skaarj, but with the level of detail on those textures there's not much to go on. I tried a more insect like look as I always wondered how those tiny pupae turned into skaarj brutes.
              Really? That looks very much based on the Unreal II Skaarj to me
              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

No joke I forgot about this movie but these are some pretty good Skaarj imo. Galaxy Quest - General Sarris and crew. My Skaarj will now have green blood
                Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 06-08-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRenny View Post
                  Hi guys, first post in there. I'm Renny, an italian comic artist and long time fan of the unreal saga.

Keeping an eye on this thread for a while and i finally decided to chime in with a few sketches.

This is my take on the skaarj. The basic idea is to mantain the most recognizable aspects of the very first skaarj from unreal and modernize all the low poly shapes.

I tried to use a more "shark head" look for my design because -in my opinion- makes them more aggressive and allowed me to use their forehead to highlight the thing that makes them recognizable on every design iteration they had over the years (except for UC2, maybe): the stripe of brighter scales used as eyebrows.
                  One of the most interesting point of the U1 skaarj was that they had those scales even on the shoulders. That "A" shape around their head was very iconic of them so i tried to mantain that exact shape making a unique stripe of scales all around.

I also tried to play with the tusks, i like them to be compact and that they don't interfere with the mouth or cover too much face. They should just be another thing that makes them recognizable and adds some interesting shapes to their head without competing for attention with the face as a whole.

As for the rhino variant... i think i overdid that front horn, it should probably be smaller... XD

Any thoughts?
                  I absolutely love it! I like the first one the most, but the others are great too. Perfect Skaarj smiles on all of them.

Comment

I really love all the art that's been made in this thread of the Skaarj, wow. It's really amazing what everyone in here is doing!

I just hope that more than one body type will be covered with the Skaarj in the game though since not all of them (To my memory, at least.) are as huge and muscly as in these models and concepts, although there DEFINITELY were some big ones among them, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post

More Refinement - Fully upright. Seemed like the bigger gripe people talked about. Still working on the arm. But I'm building a brand new kitbash just for UT so it's taking some time.
                      Originally posted by Moona View Post
                      Well this is a definite improvement!
                      I'd just say that hips are a bit wide imo but proportions are pretty fine.
                      Also, just noticed those things on his back, which part his dreadlocks. I don't remember Skaarjs having these on backs, but I guess it's just a personal choice detail as well as those spikes on upper legs. Looks good anyway
                      First i got to say awesome work TeriyakiStyle (and all other contributors), a huge improvement from the first build. Nevertheless I got to agree with Moona, his hipbone is too wide.

Sorry for my poor picture, yet this is merely an illustration to show my opinion so I guess you'll have to survive

Keep up the good work guys!

Comment

yeah the hips are a touch wider to accept a modified coccyx - the extension of the spine and all the connective tissue and muscle necessary to allow the tail to exist. You have to think there's two legs, the torso, and now a tail all interconnecting with one major hip bone. With narrow hips the tail looks like it's just stuck on the back. I can only go so far towards human for you guys while abandoning everything I know about vertebrate anatomy. When I refine the muscle structure and surfacing there it should flow better.

Comment

I'm guessing it should be made to work with the standard male skeleton though, unless they have some great way to transfer animations across multiple skeleton types and still look good, it would create twice the work for every animation.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Henrik, in fact they do have that kind of system. You can use one skeleton for differently proportionized characters. In case you have an UE4 subscription, open the "animation browser" or "mesh browser" (I know, they are no more called that way) and one of the two should show you a tutorial with information at startup that addresses this. You can basically use a human skeleton also for a dwarf and it won't deform its movement, a pretty awesome feature (and awesome is justified, it made me awe).
                            S l y .

Comment

I do, but I don't have time to mess with UE4 much at the moment. I will be as soon as I get some time.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

well.... em....

so....

IN THE NAME OF THE SKAARJS LORD, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU DOR BRINGING BACK THE REAL UNIVERSE LORDS!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I've loved skaarjs since the first Unreal. Their brutality, Loyalty, everything. Now im seeing this thread and have started jumping arround my house yelling "THANK GOD THANK GOD, SKAARJS ARE BACK!!!!"

I can't be objetive with this.(i think the reason is clear) But i LOVE the last design, more like the Dominator skin from ut2004. Its pretty sure i'll set this when finished as my new wallpaper hahahhahah

all of you, Teriyaki, Seth, all of you for made this posible!
                                unrealer since 1998

Comment

Working...
                                X