Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Skaarj Hybrids were cool, but I prefer the Purebloods. Especially how they looked in Unreal2...

...even if ½ the time they looked like they wanted a hug.
    Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
      ... a Skaarj Elvis, ...
      Great idea or greatest idea?

Also, I think the unarmored Skaarj from Unreal 1 had the best facial design, probably because their sunken cheeks and prominent jaw bones looks more like a gas mask than the face of an animal, which gave them a particularly alien impression, great for Unreal. I'm not see much of any alien looks in this thread. Not being much of a character designer myself, when so often the arrow falls too far on the side of 'orc' or 'godzilla', that tells me that nailing a good alien look must be really difficult.

That being said, I love Teriyakistyle's Skaarj taunts. Belly-born!

Comment

I don't understand why you guys don't stick to the original Skaarj from Unreal 1 that was the sleekest one. All the new interpretations fell flat on the other Unreal Games.
        All these Skaarj are so overdrawn by trillions of details and the reason why the first Skaarj was successful is because it was simple, they don't need to look like the locusts of GoW at all costs.
        LESS IS BETTER!

Comment

Originally posted by KentZeL View Post
          LESS IS BETTER!
          Can't trust anything that's over 100 triangles.
          Dueling Flak Cannons
          We see the shells falling
          Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by KentZeL View Post
            I don't understand why you guys don't stick to the original Skaarj from Unreal 1 that was the sleekest one. All the new interpretations fell flat on the other Unreal Games. LESS IS BETTER!
            Think it's "less is more" and I don't know that I agree. I mean, if you stick with the original Skaarj design but keep upgrading everything else in the game then that original design starts to look out of place and flat.

Comparative view of multiple Skaarj designs:

Maybe what might work better for you is a blending of both old & new?
            Last edited by EvilGrins; 07-11-2014, 05:34 PM. Reason: additive
            Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Wow, so much awesomness here ! Well done guyz !
              Ludwig Dresch - Hard Surface & Environment Artist
              Here is my portfolio : www.ludwigdresch.com

Comment

Haven't had a lot of time on this, but Ive rendered it more, next step is to try and get his blades and other gear in place.
                Attached Files

Comment

i am thending more to tim's/Vailias consept, it's easy more the right stile in my opinion :
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarj_Body_02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	329484Click image for larger version

Name:	Skaarj_Body_01.jpg
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	329485
                  this Tread

best regards
                  Blacky

Comment

This is my vision of the Skaarj based on Epic's first concept. Created in a crispy comic design.

Last edited by codexe; 07-16-2014, 05:05 AM.
                    I love Unreal, and I love art. Being in paradise..

Comment

oh my god...... masterpiece...
                      is the full-res-image?
                      can i use it?
                      unrealer since 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Tirias View Post
                        oh my god...... masterpiece...
                        is the full-res-image?
                        can i use it?
                        Thank you Tirias.
                        Unfortunately this image has been copyrighted to Epic Games, so it don't belongs to me anymore. This is due to several reasons. The first concept / design / visual appearence was created by Epic. I have used the Unreal Tournament logo which is a property of Epic anyways. (The 'U' logo and the Unreal logo have different rights themselves) I think they won't mind if you use it. I don't.
                        I love Unreal, and I love art. Being in paradise..

Comment

Originally posted by codexe View Post
                          This is my vision of the Skaarj based on Epic's first concept. Created in a crispy comic design.

{img-link deletet }

Unreal it is not based on an Comic-design, Unreal it is based on an Game with History and an Skaarj it is
                          not an Monster-Mashin hybrid, an Skaarj it is an Alien based on an Lizard where it is not really intelligent, but invasive !

in my opinion it is an an Monster-mashin hybrid an **** as Standart Skaarj ! Why, whis is not an figure of an comic !
                          It is an Actor of an Game with past ! This would be a breach of the stalk.

and this skaarj's have no Mashin Arms !
                          http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...arj_hybrid.JPG

best regards
                          Blacky

Comment

In my opinion, this Unreal 2 concept is by far the best Skaarj concept to appear since 1998, and the most compatible with the 'true' warrior-class Skaarj from Unreal:

It retains the insect/reptile hybrid look of the original Skaarj.

Unfortunately the final Skaarj implemented in Unreal 2 deviated greatly from that concept, and ended up looking very ape-like:

Last edited by ~SS~; 07-18-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

jepp, but Vailias are **** lot of effort by a developing a more modern skaarj 1
                              and i honor it, but the Skaarj from u2 it's really well also , want be very nice if
                              i see both in the new Monsterhunt

best regards
                              Blacky
                              Last edited by Blackcrack; 08-04-2014, 02:47 AM. Reason: adding an Youtube-link :)

Comment

Hey Guys.. I'm pretty new to the Unreal forums. I have only recently started using UE outside of work, so I'm still getting the hang of it. Being a long time UT fan, I would love to at least be a part of the development, even if it is just to post a few images, chat to people and get some UE experience.

I saw many of the images you guys posted, but I just really loved the first concept image Chris posted... so I just went with that and see where it went. I spent about a day just blocking out rough anatomy, and kept him pretty slim to make sure he'll be able to move around with agility, even if he does bulk up with the armor later on. In terms of workflow I did a quick custom skeleton for the guy just to make sure all the anatomy connects where is should, especially with the overhanging ribcage, I just wanted to make sure it'll read plausible. Most of the parts are still separate meshes, so everything is still very broad strokes in terms of refinement.

My main concern at this stage is overall proportions, I had the head a bit bigger, but that looked a bit goofy... I also went back and forth on the arms and legs length. So any comments and insights welcome.

Name:	Skaarj_Wip_01.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	329665

Name:	Skaarj_Wip_02.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	329666

Name:	Skaarj_Wip_03.jpg