• Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
    Too plant-like or something.
    insectile.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The green is a little too green for me. Also am not a huge fan of those dreads. Too plant-like or something. But I love the brow and the scaling on his body.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^ I think this is a great direction, while the current ingame concept doesn't look bad at all, it's actually quite nice looking, I get more UT vibe from this Sly's paintover concept though. I think it's important to not step out too much from the comfort zone of UT DNA even if it's a great thing to come up with something new. The current implementation does feel quite a lot like "Predator" alien. This concept above here doesn't remind me of anything else than exactly Skaarj. The dreads are spot-on, the tusks (I'd love to see some shortened spikey tusk variants too), the face, all in all I really love this one!
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 09-19-2015, 07:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sly. View Post
    Here's the promised paintover!
    I love this! This is a real Skaarj!
    Especially the hair/dreads are GREAT. I am personally not a big fan of the (predator like) black tubes that just hang down without volume.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LeMNaDe xD View Post
    Wow... awesome, awesome work guys! Really well done, Sly and Joeliepoo!
    Major +1 to this ^.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow... awesome, awesome work guys! Really well done, Sly and Joeliepoo!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Excellent paintover m8

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [...]
    Let me know what you think!
    ...wow...
    Last edited by papercoffee; 09-17-2015, 07:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks everyone! Glad I could help!

Keep at it Joeliepoo, your model is pretty stunning already and it would be great to see it end up ingame at some point.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice guys! Thanks for the feed. I think you were picking up on the things I was trying to get into the model but I ended up somewhere between Sly's paintover and the official Skaarj instead. Thank you Sly for pushing what I was only hinting at. I was trying a subtle approach at the original Skaarj but mixing it with the new official Skaarj. I think you really helped to validate the design choices I was making but pushing them to 100% rather than the 70-80% I had. This is a huge help. I'm amped and ready to hit this tonight!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great stuff, I really like you latest render Joeliepoo but agree that Sly's paintover brings it back into Skaarj land a bit more. I visualize the Skaarj and all offshoots as a very diverse group. Would love to see a ton of variants as they are my favorite species of the series! Whatever you do be sure to save off some of your earlier versions so we could have those as variants in addition to the new stuff.

Awesome work everybody!

Pete

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is actually looking very interesting, it's pushing toward that traditional Skaarj aesthetic. This would work really well, it kind of ties to the base character, but at the same time it's more ******* and has more weight around the neck.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Sorry, a bit late, I didn't see you already posted it and literally just made it today.

Generally, my feedback would overlap with Wail's feedback quite a lot, so I'm going to save you some time by not typing the same.

So, to explain what I did/"changelog" of the paintover:
    Enlarged the forehead/browline a bit,
    moved the tusk starting point further forward/towards the mouth,
    the temples were sunken in a bit to make the headshape a bit less bulky,
    the neck was enlarged a bit and made more triangular,
    the chin was made a bit spiky with the middle remaining as it is to create a sunken in spot,
    the nose was almost completely flattened so that the human/orkish similarity would be gone and moved a bit downwards towards the mouth,
    the area between the eyes got another scale on the browline such as narrow nose-ish bridge connecting the mouth/nose segment with the brow while being still sunken in
    and at the same time it is supposed to stress the evil "eye-bag" look around the eyes,
    the eyes were also enlarged a bit and are more reflective/glowing (think of cat eyes at night),
    below the eyes some bonus scales (extending from the brow) were added with very sharp edges,
    then I put more emphasis on the shape on top of the head by changing it from round skull to the shape you see there with some "riblike formations",
    and finally I thought, why not try something different with the dreads? So I tried some dread style which resembles insect anatomy a bit inspired by old Unreal and Unreal 2 artworks and concepts, think of insect legs or their feelers in terms of design. I didn't flesh them out a whole lot there and just sketched them, so if you're interested in those and some detail work would be necessary, let me know. Personally, I think it goes very well with the beast approach you have going and stresses the alien-origins of the Skaarj, even if decide against applying the other changes I suggest here, the dreads could work well with your model.

I love you Sly. This is wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Sorry, a bit late, I didn't see you already posted it and literally just made it today.

Generally, my feedback would overlap with Wail's feedback quite a lot, so I'm going to save you some time by not typing the same.

So, to explain what I did/"changelog" of the paintover:
    Enlarged the forehead/browline a bit,
    moved the tusk starting point further forward/towards the mouth,
    the temples were sunken in a bit to make the headshape a bit less bulky,
    the neck was enlarged a bit and made more triangular,
    the chin was made a bit spiky with the middle remaining as it is to create a sunken in spot,
    the nose was almost completely flattened so that the human/orkish similarity would be gone and moved a bit downwards towards the mouth,
    the area between the eyes got another scale on the browline such as narrow nose-ish bridge connecting the mouth/nose segment with the brow while being still sunken in
    and at the same time it is supposed to stress the evil "eye-bag" look around the eyes,
    the eyes were also enlarged a bit and are more reflective/glowing (think of cat eyes at night),
    below the eyes some bonus scales (extending from the brow) were added with very sharp edges,
    then I put more emphasis on the shape on top of the head by changing it from round skull to the shape you see there with some "riblike formations",
    and finally I thought, why not try something different with the dreads? So I tried some dread style which resembles insect anatomy a bit inspired by old Unreal and Unreal 2 artworks and concepts, think of insect legs or their feelers in terms of design. I didn't flesh them out a whole lot there and just sketched them, so if you're interested in those and some detail work would be necessary, let me know. Personally, I think it goes very well with the beast approach you have going and stresses the alien-origins of the Skaarj, even if decide against applying the other changes I suggest here, the dreads could work well with your model.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Joeliepoo View Post
    I was hoping for some feedback before moving forward but I'll resume work on this tonight and also try to get some concept support.
    IMO feedback on this guy would be the same as for the official model: Move the dreadlocks towards the back of the skull, go for more of a Predator vibe with that element. Top of the skull should be flatter and more angular. Emphasize the ridges along the neck / traps. I also feel like the eyes are a bit small and increasing that slightly can help with a more alien feel (adjusting skull shape will help here too, and might alone be enough just by changing proportions of skull / eye).

I do like the mood overall you're trying to go for with this model emphasizing the *********** of the character but can stand to draw more from Predator / Alien / Unreal source material.
    Last edited by Wail; 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X